Shave of the Day Thread - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap/Cream: Klar Seifen 'Classic' shaving soap
Razor: Vintage NEW head (replated) on TSW Bren handle
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock 'Black' Super Platinum (5)
Post-shave: Myrsol Formula K aftershave splash
Fragrance: None

1jhcb6Ul.jpg

Brush: Ever Ready 100
Soap: APR SAA
Razor: Souplex OC
Blade: Personna Super Stainless
This little Souplex is nicely weighted and a great feel from the medium aggressive OC.
The brush I previously tried with the original knot just for the hell of it and, as you might expect, it was bloody awful. Put in this TGN 22mm finest fan, weighted the handle, cleaned up etc., very nice.
Nothing fancy here, very common back in the day and still easy to find but great shaves and usable vintage does it for me.

It's an awesome photo as well @58RW @fruityasu

kaplhg.jpg

Karve 'B' w/ Perma-Sharp (1)
Mondial1908 Boar
Noble Otter The Noir Et Vanille Soap and Splash
TSW After Balm

New B plate curtesy of the very generous @fruityasu. This plate was s the sweet spot for me. Fuck I got such a nice shave from it. It's gunna by my daily driver.

Also the soap and scent from Noble Otter is amazing.

(y)(y)(y)

pPv9RSzl.jpg

Semogue, Haslinger, Bengall, Witch Hazel
A nice slick face lather today and the Bengall performed as it should.With two days growth the blade sliced through the bristles easily for a very comfortable two passes.I really like the Haslinger Ringelblumen soap and will be acquiring more later in the month as it lathers easily and the residual slickness is spot on for a straight.

**Archive pic**

IMAG0283.jpg

Brush: PAA Green Ray Gun
Head: Gillette Sensor Excel
Face: Timeless Bronze OC
Blade: Polsilver S/I (4)
Scuttle/Bowl/Mug: Fine lather bowl
Soap: Squadron's The Warden
Pre: PAA Cube
Post: Thayers Aloe & Lemon Witch Hazel + Nivea for Men face cream

A fantastic near BBS 'reunion' shave with the Bronze OC - thanks again @Pbgoose for looking after it so well (y) Slick, smooth and efficient with a few nicks on the neck but that's down to rushing and poor technique. Top rate performance, smell and post shave feel from the Squadron soap - awesome job @SchoolForAnts... Happy shaves!

Pre-shave: Shower, Glycerine
Brush: Yaqi 24mm Tuxedo
Soap/Cream: PAA Dapper Doc
Razor: Rockwell 6c (R4) with Ikon Bamboo Handle
Blade: Gillette 7'Oclock-Yellow (4)
Post-shave: Cold water splash, TSW After Balm

Another good 2 pass shave, Face lathered as I have been for the past six shaves and I still felt like the lather was a bit dry tho it looked well hydrated so I left it and definatly can't complain. Good lather, good shave and nothing else matters!

Is that a L1 or L2 Sabre mate? Been thinking about these lately. Are you able to compare to any other Gem razors?
It's Level 2 and happy with choice. It's efficient but it hasn't bit me once and I've been getting fairly casual about how I throw it around my face. I found it very easy to trust.
Probably comparable to efficiency of Micromatic open comb but comfort level of the 1912 if that helps.
I'd say it's at least if not more efficient than my other GEMs and I'm much happier using it frequently as it's so easy to clean.
Downside is (if I had to be critical) it's not the super sexy sports car look of the Blackbird but the Holden Commodore look. You're more than happy to park it at the Supermarket 'cause it's the Calais and looks great but still practical enough to drive everyday and not worry about scratching.:)
Have you checked out their web site and seen the rectangular thread arrangement and read the reviews? I haven't found the thread a problem at all so far. I'm probably paying a bit more attention to fitting it as I want it to last the distance but Blacklands reckon they've had none come back because of the thread.

Have you checked out the Blacklands Vector on their facebook page? I'm liking the look of that. It also has the rectangular thread post. So they are obviously confident they won't have problems. Plus it lets them design a slim maneuverable head. Drool worthy? I think so.

Last edited:
Pre: Warm water, Crew oil
Razor: Timeless , S/S 0.95mm Scalloped base plate
Blade: Astra Green
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk3
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: AP Reserve Florian
The 0.95mm plate mowed down the two day stubble with ease. Happy camper.

print screen windows xp

It's Level 2 and happy with choice. It's efficient but it hasn't bit me once and I've been getting fairly casual about how I throw it around my face. I found it very easy to trust.
Probably comparable to efficiency of Micromatic open comb but comfort level of the 1912 if that helps.
I'd say it's at least if not more efficient than my other GEMs and I'm much happier using it frequently as it's so easy to clean.
Downside is (if I had to be critical) it's not the super sexy sports car look of the Blackbird but the Holden Commodore look. You're more than happy to park it at the Supermarket 'cause it's the Calais and looks great but still practical enough to drive everyday and not worry about scratching.:)
Have you checked out their web site and seen the rectangular thread arrangement and read the reviews? I haven't found the thread a problem at all so far. I'm probably paying a bit more attention to fitting it as I want it to last the distance but Blacklands reckon they've had none come back because of the thread.

Have you checked out the Blacklands Vector on their facebook page? I'm liking the look of that. It also has the rectangular thread post. So they are obviously confident they won't have problems. Plus it lets them design a slim maneuverable head. Drool worthy? I think so.
Yeah, been looking at the vector as well, though was leaning more toward the gem style. Decisions decisions lol

Status
Not open for further replies.