Shave of the Day Thread - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Rooney boar/badger combination
Soap/Cream: Klar Seifen 'Classic' shaving soap
Razor: Vintage NEW head (replated) on TSW Bren handle
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock 'Black' Super Platinum (6)
Post-shave: Myrsol Metilsol aftershave splash
Fragrance: Penaligons Halfeti EDP

So what have I learned this week?

Firstly, Klar Seifen is a bloody good soap. Easy to lather, great lather, good protection and slickness - it is a keeper.

Secondly, Myrsol products I can't bring myself to pass on. While I didn't have the Plastic Shave the others I've used this week have all been good, solid performers. They may not have the absolute brilliance of some of the artisan products but I know why they were so well regarded in 'the old days' when I started wet shaving back in 2010 ...

Thirdly, so much has changed in less than a decade in this caper! Nobody much talks about Klar Seifen or Myrsol, we are all abuzz about the great limited release or collaboration involving the flavour of the month artisan. We really are spoilt for choice now!

zeI25Ovl.jpg

Pre: Pb Pre Shave Emulsion
Soap: PAA Gondolier
Brush: Zenith Boar
Razor: Jowika 8254

Z9Ko7KF.jpg

Pre: Hot Shower, Truefitt & Hill Oil....
Razor: Timeless....
Blade: Feather....
Brush: Wolf Whiskers/Nathan Clark Envy White....
Soap: Wholly Kaw Project Leather....

What a wonderful shave....
Shame I've got to wait till tomorrow to do it all again....
Have a great weekend all....

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Paladin Lotus Select Badger
Soap: Martin De Candre Fougère
Razor: Blackland Blackbird
Blade: Vintage NOS Personna P74 Tungsten Steel (2)
Post: CRSW Alcohol-Free American Barbershop Moisturising Aftershave
Scent: Knize Forest EdT

Three passes for a super-close BBS. However, I had a bit of post-shave irritation. Nothing to do with the soap - the MDC lather was wonderful. More my technique, getting a bit casual after a few stellar shaves with the Blackbird.
Duly noted - respect the 'Bird.
All made better with the increasingly impressive CRSW moisturising aftershave.
The sharp pine notes of the Knize Forest EdT made a nice fougère doublet with the deep medicinal notes of the MDC soap.
I too have had that thought about the blackbird no nicks or weepers so far and I did feel last shave I was getting a bit blaize and thought that may come back to bit me So show some respect

Does Durham Duplex take a standard DE razor blade?
Unfortunately not. The head is much wider than a standard De or SE. It is a much wider heaver DE blade, apparently you can buy carpet cutter blades or dog grooming blades that fit, probably in the USA. I used a pathology blade made by Personna. Sharp enough but not smooth, I think it is carbon steel (I'm waiting to see if it rusts) in which case it might benefit from a stropping. Interesting experiment and great looking razor I think
ctzXcLZm.jpg

Last edited:
Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Rooney boar/badger combination
Soap/Cream: Klar Seifen 'Classic' shaving soap
Razor: Vintage NEW head (replated) on TSW Bren handle
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock 'Black' Super Platinum (6)
Post-shave: Myrsol Metilsol aftershave splash
Fragrance: Penaligons Halfeti EDP

So what have I learned this week?

Firstly, Klar Seifen is a bloody good soap. Easy to lather, great lather, good protection and slickness - it is a keeper.

Secondly, Myrsol products I can't bring myself to pass on. While I didn't have the Plastic Shave the others I've used this week have all been good, solid performers. They may not have the absolute brilliance of some of the artisan products but I know why they were so well regarded in 'the old days' when I started wet shaving back in 2010 ...

Thirdly, so much has changed in less than a decade in this caper! Nobody much talks about Klar Seifen or Myrsol, we are all abuzz about the great limited release or collaboration involving the flavour of the month artisan. We really are spoilt for choice now!

I haven't used either soap or aftershave but looking at their price to purchase no wonder I go for the local artisan stuff.
Shame, seems like great stuff from all the reviews.

Date: 06 October 2018

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush:- Maseto Extra Density 2 Band Finest Badger Ivory 24/55mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Declaration Grooming ~ Colonia Balsamica
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Razor/Blade:- Karve CB 'D' / Vintage NOS Gillette Super Stainless (spoiler) #15
Post-shave:- Thayers Witch Hazel & Tea Tree Oil / Lucky Tiger Aftershave & Face Tonic / Lucky Tiger Face Moisturizer
Fragrance:- None

This is the end of the spoiler blade journey using the Karve on the 'D' base plate, not a single irritation, tugging or weepers anywhere on my face throughout the whole shave.

The next base plate on the Karve will either be E or F, I'll do some research on the shaving forum outside of P&C again. Because there's been a lot of feedback saying the F base plate, which seems aggressive free shave without any irritation depending on which blade that works well on the F base plate. I'm thinking the Vintage English Wilky might go well with the F base plate, depending on how far the blade can reach the maximum blade count before it starts tugging.

I haven't used either soap or aftershave but looking at their price to purchase no wonder I go for the local artisan stuff.
Shame, seems like great stuff from all the reviews.

If I recall the soap was a little hard to get and not cheap but the Mysol was quite affordable when you could get it direct from Gifts & Care. The international postage crackdown killed that.

So ‘in the day’ this was not out of the question - shows how times have changed and just how affordable our local artisans are!

duW5AD7.jpg

Pre: Hot Shower, Truefitt & Hill Oil....
Razor: Timeless....
Blade: Feather....
Brush: Shavemac....
Soap: Declaration Grooming Pure Lavender....
Post: Chatillon Lux Champs de Lavande Aftershave and Salve and Lavande Poivre EDT....

It's going to be a glorious day....

2F96S0Ul.jpg

Soap: Pb Calendula/Chamomile
Brush: Vie-Long American Style Horse
Razor: Eclipse Red Ring
Blade: Nacet (3)
Welcome home Eclipse! Cracker of a shave straight up. Could've stopped after two passes but still had lather in the bowl and time to play. Rewarded with BBS.
Calendula/Chamomile made some great lather and has settled nicely so the Neroli isn't so offensive to my nose.
I've reworked the scent so Neroli is in the background and I also boosted the bottom end. I think it's nice so hope it works in the soap when I make V2.

Status
Not open for further replies.