Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wee Scot
Body Shop Macca Root
GEM Micromatic Bullet tip
GEM SS (4)

That's it for the this blade. great shave and probably could have got a couple more out but I've got enough blades so why turn it in to a contest. I'm sticking with SE shaving for a while and will occasionally post here but it gets a bit boring on my own. I feel lonely as the only active SE shaver here. What's the matter with you folks? Plenty of people trying the R41 which in my view can't even be classified as a safety razor but nobody trying out the original safety razor.

Wee Scot
Body Shop Macca Root
GEM SS (4)

That's it for the this blade. great shave and probably could have got a couple more out but I've got enough blades so why turn it in to a contest. I'm sticking with SE shaving for a while and will occasionally post here but it gets a bit boring on my own. I feel lonely as the only active SE shaver here. What's the matter with you folks? Plenty of people trying the R41 which in my view can't even be classified as a safety razor but nobody trying out the original safety razor.

I'll be getting on the SE bandwagon after I work through my latest cache of loan razors. Pretty excited to be honest.

I'm sticking with SE shaving for a while and will occasionally post here but it gets a bit boring on my own. I feel lonely as the only active SE shaver here. What's the matter with you folks?
They've all got envy of the boys with the big boy razors.

Me? I'm happy with my micro-DE

Wee Scot
Body Shop Macca Root
GEM SS (4)

I will be back into it if I ever find my Gem Junior as I am not going shave 1 with a bullet tip :)

Wee Scot
Body Shop Macca Root
GEM SS (4)

Soon I'll keep you company, @Pjotr . A GEM 1912 and some blades are incoming.

Brush: Smog #620
Soap: Occams 'Original'
Razor: AS-D2
Blade: Feather (2)
Post-shave: Antesol

#620 starting to find its stride. Anyone with Occams in the back of the cabinet, either put it up front or on your face. Forgotten just how good it is!

ffEzW2T.jpg

Inspired by Filobiblic I rolled out the Bengall again. Fantastic, the Latha is just a great product, everyone that got some in the group buy will be very happy.

Something very satisfying about mastering (or trying to) technique. Relaxing.

Nice one LaP! We might have four SEers here. Enough to form our own little club. Enough to occasionally hang back and take the piss out of all those blade obsessed DEers.

I'm with you, Pjotr. Looking forward to trying this out. A bummer is the lack of blade choices. What do you think of those PTFE coated GEM blades? I picked up pack of 20 from Connaught.

I'm with you, Pjotr. Looking forward to trying this out. A bummer is the lack of blade choices. What do you think of those PTFE coated GEM blades? I picked up pack of 20 from Connaught.

The lack of blades is a bit disappointing. The PTFE GEM SS just about the only blade out there. I've tried every other SE blade on offer including a disastrous carbon steel one and I wouldn't bother with anything else. They're insanely sharp on the first shave so it's the old SE adage: "No pressure (other than enough to actually put the blade to your face), no angle (keep the cap virtually flat to your face), go slow and concentrate like it was your first traditional shave." You get a bit more wiggling room from the second shave onward.

Some people swear by the carbon steel blades you can get but I think they're just trying to be interesting. They're complete crap in my experience. Oh and don't be tempted by the paint scraper blades they sell at hardware stores even if they're GEM blades and have the same numbering and markings.

Good luck with that. And remember.....go slow. It makes a wicked sound. You can almost hear it in the next room (I think!).

20150428SOTDS_zpsnokozz0g.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: The WOLF(man)
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Brush: Plisson Synthetic
Soap: Barrister & Mann Lime, Lavender & Cedarwood
Post-shave: Alum, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel

What a great shave today! Back with the Wolf and everything felt so great. Angle came back straight away, beautiful face feel...fantastic razor.

After the R41, I thought to myself, why not try a 3 pass shave. I did and it WORKED brilliantly! Had to do some clean up, but my face feels so great, almost no sting from the alum and hours later it is still silky smooth.

This was my first encounter with B&M soaps - I will write a review in the appropriate section later tonight. Just as a teaser: Great soap! Why have I not tried it earlier???

This is a common reaction.

Happily this sad situation has changed for the better!

In time to purchase the Fougere(s)
We are running out of time! Need to get going with the order before the ship sails...

Brush: Smog 1305
Soap: MdC 'original'
Razor: Fatboy
Blade: Feather (1)
Post-shave: Metilsol

Weird, MdC specify in their user instructions to use a quality badger brush when lathering their product....and yet the boar bristles still worked. Worked damn well. Trying the Fatboy just to see how it compares to the Feather. Well, they certainly do offer a different shave.

Brush:Love Your Shave badger
Soap: Caties Bubbles Le Marche Du Rasage (aromatic aquatic scent)
Razor: Merkur 34C
Blade: Wilkson Sword (0)
Post-shave: Alum and Nieva Original After shave splash

Three pass shave this morning and it felt great. I definitely get an more pleasant shave currently with the Merkur 34C than the Mule R41. The Catties Bubble soap is great, the scent on this one is not as strong as my other two but it is a good smelling soap.

I hope the SE thing gets a breath of life. Too long has it been since we have had some gory, sliced face photos on the board!

Been tootling along with a few shaves:

Merkur 34C
Gillette 7 o'clock Black (the mystery blade! ) - A shame these went the way of the dodo. Me likey.
Ingrams menthol cream/P.160 Morbido
Alum
Speick ASB
Jojoba/Argan Oil - drinking the kool-aid :p

Futur in line for the next shave!

Brush: Ploccitane
Soap: Barrister & Mann Latha
Razor: Gold Dollar
Razor: Gillette Old Type Single Ring OC
Blade: Personna Super [1]
After-shave: Spieck Splash

Status