Status
Not open for further replies.
20151202_SOTDSSepia_zpsnmk4vsoe.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: Wolfman WR1-SB with WRH2
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Brush: Omega Pro 49
Lather: Mystic Waters The Brown Windsor
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

So yesterday night, I am having this amazing piece of Japanese inspired pork roast. Think perfectly melting in your mouth with crispy skin, but with TONS of unami from bonito flakes, seaweed etc. - absolutely fantastic. And there I was sitting, thinking that pork is one of the most underrated meats out there - like the humble boar brush. I mean of course nothing beats the luxurious Fillet Steak/Silvertip badger and for the king of taste/brush you want an aged T-Bone/2-band...

But the humble pork has so much taste - of course it means so much more work, but at the end you get this great meal/lather for a fraction of the cost and you just have to put in the extra work :D :D :D

And so I decided there and then, that today's shave would be with the last piggy that remains in my stable. That poor thing is so underrated, and of course it doesn't stand a chance against my Chubby and my Paladins...but by just putting in some extra effort, I got this fantastic lather and a beautiful shave!
You're going on like a pork chop mate!

I will have to make you a Pork fat shaving soap to go with your Boar brush.
YUMMMM!!!
And why not? Both beef and mutton tallow work so well - why shouldn't pork fat?

Been a while, but here we go.

Fatboy @ 5
Fresh Gillette Super Stainless, Modern-ish orange pack
Plissitane
The sample of Reef Point Dragon's Blood from @SydBJW which seems to be self-replicating

This has been my basic shave of late, with the occaisional exploration of the new Shaver Heaven soaps. But seriously, the Reef Point just keeps going & going. Good scent although a little sweet, great performance, unreal economy. Nothing to dislike, and the shave was pretty good too.

I did hear you will be able to get reef point locally very soon :). For mine it is great soap.

I can't believe all this "bloom water" bullshit. Just dip your brush in water (no need whatsoever to soak it before hand, once hair is wet it doesn't get any wetter) shake it out and rub it on top of the puck (any puck) until it starts dragging which indicates that all the water in your brush has been used to pick up soap and instead of gliding easily it'll be harder to push it through.

Have you any tips upon creating lather with this puck mate ?

That poor thing is so underrated, and of course it doesn't stand a chance against my Chubby and my Paladins...but by just putting in some extra effort, I got this fantastic lather and a beautiful shave!
That lather that unbelievable, my minds not even able to view it!​

YUMMMM!!!
And why not? Both beef and mutton tallow work so well - why shouldn't pork fat?
Same reasoning as to allowing mates see you ride a scooter...

And there I was sitting, thinking that pork is one of the most underrated meats out there - like the humble boar brush. I mean of course nothing beats the luxurious Fillet Steak/Silvertip badger and for the king of taste/brush you want an aged T-Bone/2-band...​
I'm a simple man. After some time, and many brushes, I find I enjoy my pig best.

SOTD Thursday, December 3

Cold water shave
Preshave: bloom water
Soap: Shaver Heaven, Spiced Mahogony
Brush: Simpson Berkerley badger
Face lather
Razor: Dovo Inox 5/8

One for the balcony. I use the bloom water (it is wet shaving after all) to soften my whiskers, tipping the bloom water into my cupped hand and rubbing the bloom water into my whiskers to agitate them so stand up rather than lie against my skin. Some use a hot shower pre-shave, some use a hot towel, some just splash water on their face, some use oils or lotions whereas I bloom my soap while stropping my razor then use the bloom water as a preshave. I find this effective and cheap. And that is what makes wet shaving so personal; even minimal or perceived gains ARE gains in they add to the personal joy of wet shaving.

Continued with focussing my attention on light touch of the blade against my face this morning, not charging through my shave. Another enjoyable shave. Good soap, good razor, good shave and topped off with a splash of home made bay rum A/S … ... ... Gotta love wet shaving

20151203_082611 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr
Preshave: Proraso Red
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89 with Windrose Handle
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux
Brush: Vie Long Horse
Soap: Caties Bubbles La Piment De La Vie(the spice of life)
Post Shave: Loccitane BAVX balm and 4711 AS
Three pass shave, not that it was necessary, just so enjoyable. The Caties Bubbles is an excellent soap that is easy to lather but with great slickness and post shave feel. Beautiful strong scent on this one as well. Great shave.

Brush: Vintage butterscotch Culmak - reknotted with TGN finest
Soap/Cream: Beaver Woodwright Ghost Ship
Razor: Vintage Gillette L1 Slim Adjustable (7)
Blade: Vintage Personna Made in England blade (4)
Post-shave: LPL Balm

OK, this is the third shave with the Beaver Woodwright limited edition Ghost Ship soap courtesy of @SydBJW .

On the 'Smiley Scale' I'm now prepared to rate it after three shaves as -

(y)(y)(y) - Great soap, top shelf, a must have in your drawer

Thanks again Brendan!

Brush: Vintage butterscotch Culmak - reknotted with TGN finest
Soap/Cream: Beaver Woodwright Ghost Ship
Razor: Vintage Gillette L1 Slim Adjustable (7)
Blade: Vintage Personna Made in England blade (4)
Post-shave: LPL Balm

OK, this is the third shave with the Beaver Woodwright limited edition Ghost Ship soap courtesy of @SydBJW .

On the 'Smiley Scale' I'm now prepared to rate it after three shaves as -

(y)(y)(y) - Great soap, top shelf, a must have in your drawer

Thanks again Brendan!

Mark if you are interested I may have a spare tub of that soap :)

And here I was thinking that hockey pucks were square sided. I think you'll have to bloom that one until it starts flowering. By the way I'm becoming intrigued with Mystic Waters. Could it be the one soap out of the endless stream of hard to lather soaps that is actually hard to lather? After witnessing the 100 pages of bile on B&B regarding Cella (I swear I can teach my dog to lather that stuff) and ditto for the "notorious MWF", just to name a few, forgive me if I'm somewhat sceptical.
.....One for the balcony......
Balcony calling......
.......I use the bloom water (it is wet shaving after all) to soften my whiskers, tipping the bloom water into my cupped hand and rubbing the bloom water into my whiskers to agitate them so stand up rather than lie against my skin. Some use a hot shower pre-shave, some use a hot towel, some just splash water on their face, some use oils or lotions whereas I bloom my soap while stropping my razor then use the bloom water as a preshave. I find this effective and cheap. And that is what makes wet shaving so personal; even minimal or perceived gains ARE gains in they add to the personal joy of wet shaving..........
I give up. I'll just have to accept this blooming thing as something that's floated over from other shaving sites.

Mark if you are interested I may have a spare tub of that soap :)

[sigh] thanks, I think.

I'm trying to decide whether to be tempted or what I would do with it amongst all the others. I've not yet found an aftershave I like to compliment it is part of my challenge.

[sigh] thanks, I think.

I'm trying to decide whether to be tempted or what I would do with it amongst all the others. I've not yet found an aftershave I like to compliment it is part of my challenge.

I really wished I had got the matching aftershave at the time (has since sold out), just getting it shipped to Australia is the problem.

Brush: Simpsons Duke 2
Razor: Wilkinson Classic
Blade: Feather
Cream: GFT Limes
A/S: GFT Skinfood + Alum

Very surprised by today's shave. I haven't used the Wilkinson Classic for a couple of years and I remember it being a very mild, forgiving razor. Not so when paired with a Feather Blade, harsh, rough and altogether unpleasant. The Alum showed its value though.

Brush: Semogue 820
Soap: Razorock Holy Cannoli
Razor: Japanese frameback
Aftershave: Alum, Thayers, Bulldog Original Balm

Will review the soap more formally later. Meanwhile, if you've not tried a Japanese frameback then get your finger out! What a shave! Comfortable and close - very close! Love to attribute the razor to a maker, but my kanji is a little rusty.

First time trying the Bulldog balm. The ingredients list look pretty sound - the 'sensitive' formulation looks even better but I'm having little lucky sourcing any locally (happy to hear from any member that can help narrow down my search). Performance isn't too bad at all. Better than Nivea I'd say...but not quite Emulsion standard I think......but early days.

12289637_10153080674766537_6088743916997910941_n.jpg

SOTD Thurs...trying out some new gear that arrived yesterday. 24mm WD Synth from Larry and PAA soap from @stillshunter

Synth is easy to use, no soaking and dries insanely quickly. Lathers and loads in an instant, soft face feel. Will be using for a bit but an early call would put this behind the Semo boar for favourite thus far. Long live the pig.

PAA is something that I've read about in its different incarnations and wanted to try (forgetting the drama). It didn't disappoint. I could probably have done with a smidge less water, but the slickness was well worth it. Still had plenty of cushion and the scent was great. Off the puck dry, you can pick the tobacco right at the bottom, which if offset by the lighter fruity notes that give it a sweet twist. For me it's a heavier scent, but not so much that you couldn't use in summer. As a lather, everything becomes more balanced and the scent smooths out.

Happy shaving to all of you, and thanks @razorguy for motivating me to use the Mastro Livi today :)

I am so glad to know my previous SOTD motivated you to use your super excellent and stellar Mastro Livi symmetric kamisori. I just regret I could not see this beauty in person but I am very glad to read about your complete satisfaction!

Status
Not open for further replies.