Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
rCcSWpE.jpg

Scrubby 620 takes a bit of getting used to. Maggards Barbershop smells just like Mikes, works very well. Marks edge on this little razor is a smooth one.

SOTD Friday, November 27

Cols water shave
Preshave: bloom water
Soap: Shaver Heaven, Forbidden Forest
Brush: Simpson Berkerley Badger
Face lather
Razor: George Butler Keen 6/8

I spoon 3-5 days soap into my wooden shave bowl and the Forbidden Forest on day 3 has nearly lost all scent sitting in the bowl. Still provides an excellent lather and the lather is what counts.

The George Butler was at it's best. 3 pass shave, close, nick free. Looking forward to another clean shaven day.

img_2030.jpg

3P preshave
Thater 4125/1
Razorock Fresco
Gem Clog Pruf
Gem (2)
Myrsol Formula C
How many shaves did you get from your Wilkie? (Your previous blade...)

Nice shave btw. I know you're not a fan of the Formula C scent, but I certainly like the violets. [emoji6]

How many shaves did you get from your Wilkie? (Your previous blade...)

Nice shave btw. I know you're not a fan of the Formula C scent, but I certainly like the violets. [emoji6]
I got to 7 shaves then thought I'd use the gem. I reckon there might be another shave or two on that blade. Not a massive fan of violets it seems. Must be flashbacks to those horrible purple sweets lol

20151127_074008 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr
Preshave: Proraso Red
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89 with Windrose Handle
Blade: Polsilver SI
Brush: Vie Long Horse
Soap: Strewth by PAA for Shave the Man
Post Shave: Nivea Balm and Strewth AS and Cologne
Three pass shave no nicks no cuts no irritation and a great result. This is a very thirsty soap but provides excellent slickness and I do enjoy the complex scent.

20151127_zps8fecmee6.png

Face Wash : PAA Menthol Glycerine Soap
Pre-Shave : Myrsol Emulsion
Brush : Trumper SB3
Soap : Martin de Candre Original
Razor : Tradere SB
Blade : Feather [0]
After Shave : Terre D'Hermes

It's Friday again. Not just the end of the working week, but also the day that the Melbourne P&C guys get together to punctuate shave-talk with gastronomic pleasures. Today's lunch should be brilliant - we're going to one of the city's best exponents of Aussie/SE Asian Fusion cuisine. In order to try and avoid being accused by some of my lunchmates (yet again) of going over to the "Dark Side" of shaving (read Kamisori, Western Straight), I decided on a DE shave today.

I kicked things off in the usual way, until I started loading the brush to build a lather. Goodness me! After coaxing Mike's and Mystic Waters into delivering brilliant lathers lately, the de Candre was a totally different experience. The moment the damp brush hit the puck, it started creating lather. It was then as simple as tipping it into my bowl and adding water until the sweet spot was reached. A pretty short loading of a small brush produced heaps of very nice lather. I chose the Tradere SB razor today because I haven't shaved with it in quite some time. What a beautiful razor it is - the only one in my collection that seriously challenges the Wolfman for quality and performance. I started off with an XTG pass and could have stopped there, well shaven. But where's the fun in that? A second pass ATG and my face was perfectly smooth with nary a nick in sight anywhere. It really doesn't get much better for me.

Finished off with an over-generous spray of Terre D'Hermes and I'm good to go.

BTW - @alfredus, I'll make sure we order pork belly on your behalf since you can't make it today :)(y):)

y7qBicQ.jpg

Chubby & Standard

Brush: Simpson Chubby 1 (Thanks @Draco Noir )
Soap: I Coloniali Mango
Razor: Standard (Thanks again, Draco)
Blade: Personna Med Prep
After: Thayers Witch Hazel & Floid Vigoroso

So, I'm having a bit of a shite day at the office when I get a call from Draco.
"Hey Rick, I'm going to be in town today. Got a razor and brush for you to try"
Cool! My day is starting to look up.
  • The Simpson Chubby 1 is a delightful brush densely packed with Simpson's infamous Best Badger hairs. Perfect for face lathering.
  • The Standard is a very capable razor. Nice balance of comfort and closeness. Love the Black matte finish.
  • I Coloniali is still KING of The Best Soap in my cupboard.

Brush: ShaveMac #177
Soap: RazoRock Santa Maria Del Fiore Firenze
Razor: GEM Micromatic "Bullet tip" Single Edge razor
Blade: GEM Personna [4]
After-shave: PAA Al Fin aftershave & cologne

• The Simpson Chubby 1 is a delightful brush densely packed with Simpson's infamous Best Badger hairs. Perfect for face lathering.
  • The Standard is a very capable razor. Nice balance of comfort and closeness. Love the Black matte finish.
  • I Coloniali is still KING of The Best Soap in my cupboard.

The Chubby 1 is something everybody should try. If only I could get a vintage butterscotch one ...

The Standard is a pretty cool razor, especially in that matte black

I Coloniali - haven't tried that, but King of the Best Soaps from anybody around here is a BIG call. Must get it on my list (it is a L-O-N-G list ...)

Happy days mate and nice shave :)

Brush: ShaveMac #177
Soap: RazoRock Santa Maria Del Fiore Firenze
Razor: GEM Micromatic "Bullet tip" Single Edge razor
Blade: GEM Personna [4]
After-shave: PAA Al Fin aftershave & cologne

Good man. Can't fault the Bullet tip. Just on a little SE splurge myself. Featherweight followed by the Streamline and loads of other shaving stuff with names that don't sound like they've been ripped from Dante's Inferno.

I Coloniali - haven't tried that, but King of the Best Soaps from anybody around here is a BIG call. Must get it on my list (it is a L-O-N-G list ...)

Happy days mate and nice shave :)

Thanks Mark.

It is a BIG call considering the company that I am in but it has remained at the top of the heap for me. 2 - 10 change more times than Melbourne's weather in 1 day but I Coloniali remains the King Beast (y)

Good man. Can't fault the Bullet tip. Just on a little SE splurge myself. Featherweight followed by the Streamline and loads of other shaving stuff with names that don't sound like they've been ripped from Dante's Inferno.

Yeah folks, I've got GT back on the balcony with me.

Soap: La Toja (as selected by @Lifes a Peach )
Brush: Whipped Dog 24mm Silvertip
Razor: Puma 89
Aftershave: Alum, Thayers & Emulsion.

Last day with the La Toja...and my review will be posted early tomorrow.
Was hesitant selling off my Myrsol, but must say this post-shave line-up just works so well!

Status
Not open for further replies.