Cream: GFT Sandalwood
A/S: Old Spice Lime

Today's SOTD
Brush: B&B Essential, re knotted with a TGN Finest knot
Razor: English Tech
Blade: Elka Stainless (4)
Cream: GFT Sandalwood
A/S: Old Spice Lime
What's the difference between an English Tech and an American Tech?

What do you think of the Elkas? One guy I met loved them so much. Didn't realise they were no longer made. Don't they claim to be "Ice hardened"?

Also, never heard of the OS Lime. Sounds interesting! Was that from here in Oz?

So many Q's!?!! [emoji4]

P74 on 14-15 shaves. Still performing well.

Not sure about the alcolado glacial a/s.
There is a big alcohol hit at first and then some menthol that lasts a few minutes with a slight chemically lemon or like scent almost totally hidden. Nothing much to dislike but nowhere near as nice as the Floid vigoroso.

That's two supposed menthol big hitters that I've not been overly impressed with. I'll use them, but won't replace with the same.

Last edited:
I've no idea what you are talking about.

But I'm surprised it let me edit outside the 15 minute barrier.

But I'm surprised it let me edit outside the 15 minute barrier.
It's the gremlins... *Ahem* ...Monsta... at work behind the scenes I imagine.

What's the difference between an English Tech and an American Tech?

What do you think of the Elkas? One guy I met loved them so much. Didn't realise they were no longer made. Don't they claim to be "Ice hardened"?

Also, never heard of the OS Lime. Sounds interesting! Was that from here in Oz?

So many Q's!?!! [emoji4]

I haven't tried an American Tech so I've really got no idea if there's a difference.
I like the Elka's, feel similar to an English Wilky. No idea if they're "Ice Hardened", but they do claim to be a "Miracle Blade". I wouldn't say that but they are quite nice. This is the first one I've tried, I found 20 NOS at a local vintage market.
The OS Lime was also found NOS at a vintage market, it's Shulton and hasn't lost any of it's potency. Smells strongly of Limes to start with but soon fades down to a strange mix of OS and Limes. Again, I like it.

I haven't tried an American Tech so I've really got no idea if there's a difference.
I like the Elka's, feel similar to an English Wilky. No idea if they're "Ice Hardened", but they do claim to be a "Miracle Blade". I wouldn't say that but they are quite nice. This is the first one I've tried, I found 20 NOS at a local vintage market.
The OS Lime was also found NOS at a vintage market, it's Shulton and hasn't lost any of it's potency. Smells strongly of Limes to start with but soon fades down to a strange mix of OS and Limes. Again, I like it.
Wow. Where are these vintage markets?! Great finds. [emoji106][emoji1]

Wow. Where are these vintage markets?! Great finds. [emoji106][emoji1]
Geelong. There's four markets here that are worth looking at for vintage shaving gear plus one vintage shop that sometimes has shaving gear. A lot a of searching is required but there are certainly razors to be found.

Geelong. There's four markets here that are worth looking at for vintage shaving gear plus one vintage shop that sometimes has shaving gear. A lot a of searching is required but there are certainly razors to be found.
A little far from where I lay down my head for the night, but it's good for you! [emoji4] Thanks. I'll add it to my list of shaving things to do in Melbourne & surrounds...

After 3 days of NEW LC, I switched to the SC. More blade feel and aggression but baby butt smooth closeness without drawing any blood droplets and no irritation. A friggin great vintage OC and only 80 years young. Unfortunately it's not my razor.

1ypgtz.jpg

Shave no 15 with the P74. It's still doing it but getting a bit rough. Getting the tell tale stings from the alum block indicating it's time to change it out. For the sake of pushing it to the limit I'll do another one, but I think it's days are numbered.
The rest:
Wee Scot wannabe re-knot
Jermyn Street: Nice fresh scent. Can't say it's overpowering. In fact, in summer would like a heavier scented cream.

After 3 days of NEW LC, I switched to the SC. More blade feel and aggression but baby butt smooth closeness without drawing any blood droplets and no irritation. A friggin great vintage OC and only 80 years young. Unfortunately it's not my razor.

1ypgtz.jpg
What's your interpretation of the scent of Valobra ?

Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Razor: Pureman OC
Blade: Personna 'Lab Blue' - shave 1
Soap/Cream: TOBS Shaver Shop
Aftershave: Floid (Suave or Vigoroso?)

Been a while since a SOTD but new tools require a mention.

With the PCTB2 now home I gave the Pureman a try. First impressions - hate the cheap looking plating and the whole thing looks and feels slightly out of balance to me. I think I would prefer a slightly shorter and thicker handle.

In action it requires a unique angle and a little getting used to. Typical OC aggression and audible feedback, it seems like there is a lot of blade exposure. Results were good though with no nicks.

Finished off with the Floid from the box as well. I think I like it and the wife does too - might be a future purchase I think!

Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Razor: Pureman OC
Blade: Personna 'Lab Blue' - shave 1
Soap/Cream: TOBS Shaver Shop
Aftershave: Floid (Suave or Vigoroso?)

Finished off with the Floid from the box as well. I think I like it and the wife does too - might be a future purchase I think!
That Floid in the Box has resulted in a lot of Floid purchases...

Is that the first time using a Personna Lab Blue blade? What do you think of them?

@filobiblic - no the Personna 'Lab Blue' and the Astra SP are my benchmark modern blades I always use with new razors.

When I try a new razor I alway use one of these. If that doesn't work I try the other. If both don't work I slip in a Feather.

After trying those three if a razor doesn't satisfy I decide it is a dud :)

@filobiblic - no the Personna 'Lab Blue' and the Astra SP are my benchmark modern blades I always use with new razors.

When I try a new razor I alway use one of these. If that doesn't work I try the other. If both don't work I slip in a Feather.

After trying those three if a razor doesn't satisfy I decide it is a dud :)
Thanks! Always good to know what are the 'standard' (or go to) blades for others. Those three blades seem like a nice variety of different "yardsticks" to compare against. (Variety in smoothness, sharpness, etc).

Thanks! Always good to know what are the 'standard' (or go to) blades for others. Those three blades seem like a nice variety of different "yardsticks" to compare against. (Variety in smoothness, sharpness, etc).

Yeah, I'm an advocate of the razor/blade combo being important and I've found that if I can't get a decent shave from those three it is not worth pursuing. The R41 2011 for example I was not impressed with till I slipped in the Feather - then I got it!

Status
Not open for further replies.