Shave of the Day 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
No shave today - too rushed to get out the door. And tomorrow is 'full catastrophe' shave day in any case.
Yeah. Me too. One of those days...

Just makes for an epic shave when you do get around to it. You daily shavers just wouldn't understand it.

Blade on a stick?!? Wow.

This is how we shave in Canada.

Axe-2.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417212564.246697.jpg

Razor: Feather Dx
Brush: shavemac Silvertip 22x48
Blade: feather super pro
Cream: gf trumper coconut

On the weekends I like to take my time and use the dx. It is a great alternative to using a straight that doesn't require stropping. I would recommend this to anyone thinking about picking up a straight as it may be to challenging to learn straight use as well as blade maintenance at the same time. Gf coconut is an excellent cream and probably imo one of the best in production in terms of performance.

As for the shavemac the no.25 is great ergonomically. In Silvertip shavemac has medium density and great flow through.

On the weekends I like to take my time and use the dx. It is a great alternative to using a straight that doesn't require stropping. I would recommend this to anyone thinking about picking up a straight as it may be to challenging to learn straight use as well as blade maintenance at the same time.
Great idea! Trouble is, shaving with a disposable blade straight razor (aka shavette) is nothing like a straight razor. The Feather 'shavette' is the pick of the bunch but it's not in the same class as a str8. It doesn't need Stropping or honing which is a huge factor in its favour (for most). But it's like shaving with a single DE blade on a stick - too bloody sharp & unforgiving.

The recommendation I've heard if you want to str8 shave is to go directly to a str8. Sure it's a steep learning curve, but you're less likely to give up than after a shavette which has a rough learning curve.

That's a nice looking Feather DX by the way... [emoji4]

Actually I think shavette is a valid step to straight.

It's just important to realise the shave will be more harsh.

But you will get the left hand and right hand coordination happening :). But honestly now I only use shavett for side burns etc.

Actually I think shavette is a valid step to straight.

It's just important to realise the shave will be more harsh.

But you will get the left hand and right hand coordination happening :). But honestly now I only use shavett for side burns etc.
Nice to know ^^^ @Ybbor.

You tell him Stillsy... I'll just hide behind this tree while you tell the bloke with the hitched shorts and the darn sharp axe...
Is ok, he's in Kanukistan.

Great idea! Trouble is, shaving with a disposable blade straight razor (aka shavette) is nothing like a straight razor. The Feather 'shavette' is the pick of the bunch but it's not in the same class as a str8. It doesn't need Stropping or honing which is a huge factor in its favour (for most). But it's like shaving with a single DE blade on a stick - too bloody sharp & unforgiving.

The recommendation I've heard if you want to str8 shave is to go directly to a str8. Sure it's a steep learning curve, but you're less likely to give up than after a shavette which has a rough learning curve.

To be honest after the first 3 uses the blades gets smooth. That with a very close angle to the skin, done properly you will never have experienced a more comfortable shave. I have used a real straight and found my stropping technique didn't prepare the blade properly. The feather just wipes the hair off; plus I only go for a dfs (BBS on cheeks)

Feather Str8 vs Real Str8
It is a different experience. Shave again with the Feather this morning, thinking about the differences between the 2.
With the Feather, even before I started I knew that even after only one WTG pass I'd have an acceptable shave.
With the "real" str8 I would have expected at least a WTG, XTG, and ATG to achieve the same quality shave.
The Feather just gives a good, expected outcome each time. No wondering what the face is going to feel like after the 1st pass, because it's alway the same outcome.

BOT

Brush: Frank Shaving ST
Pre-Shave: Occams Pre-Shave soap original
Soap/Cream: Occams Original Shave Cream
Razor: Progress (3)
Blade: Polsilver [?]
After-shave: Myrsol Antesol

Decided to shave on my usual day off since I missed shaving after a couple of days of busyness. After a close shave with what I thought to be a Personna Super (and treated it as such), I discovered it was a Polsilver blade. A bit of a surprise. I thought it was time to change blades since the Personna wasn't as smooth as usual.:oops:

After a close shave with what I thought to be a Personna Super (and treated it as such), I discovered it was a Polsilver blade. A bit of a surprise. I thought it was time to change blades since the Personna wasn't as smooth as usual.:oops:
So you'd now rate the Polsilver equal to or better than the Personna Blues?

So you'd now rate the Polsilver equal to or better than the Personna Blues?
I think I'll need to put the Polsilver into a different razor. It's a good blade but the Personna Blues are comfortable to whiz around on any razor I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.