Shave of the Day 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had a look at those, and the knot seems to be set very high up in the handle

It's a Chinese cheapie so they're not going to set it any lower than is absolutely necessary. Really not surprising at all. That said I assume you're concerned about backbone for the knot - as in if it's set so high it'll maybe be a bit of a mop/too soft?

If so definitely NOT a worry, plenty of rigidity in the Pur-Tech knot - if you just use the tips you'll actually find almost too much - so you really have to apply pressure to get them to splay if you want to face lather etc.

Is a good buy at twice the price - other detailed review from another user (Borked?)on this in brush section. ABSOLUTE worst case you've gotten your lifelong travel brush for under $15 delivered. Whats not to like? (y)

Brush: Mühle SilverTip Fibre
Soap/Cream: Razorock Don Marco
Razor: Merkur 38C
Blade: Mühle [1]
After-shave: Floid Vigoroso

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416568328.595807.jpg

An enjoyable shave.

All my comments and discussion on the Mühle blades are here

Razorock soaps are great performers. Too bad they are expensive by the time they reach this side of the world.

Floid- what can I say? Love it.

There is quite an empty straights section - go fill it!
Yes! Please do @Nonick and @Ybbor
I'm keen to hear more...

Which size mule synth is that. They do 3.
I thought they had 4- Small (19), Medium (21mm), Large (23) and Extra Large (25)?

This is medium (21mm). I'm undecided if it's the right size for me. I'm waiting for the Plisson which is meant to be 23/55

Edit: typo

Last edited by a moderator:
Possibly cut and paste it to the straights section... Anyone with mod power. Maybe NowNicked can be te straight mod?
Haha! Being the only one makes you the biggest and baddest. [emoji1]

Hmm it's just being a big fish in a small pond. I can't mod, that might require some sort of serious response at some point

Don Marco filobiblic!! Sweet tooths hands up?

#12 on the P74 and still going strong.
It's nearly reached one month in use already so going as well as the best of them.
If I get at least one shave in December with it (which is currently looking likely) I will have managed to shave with one blade in 3 different months.

Number 13 with the P74. Took my time this time. Have gone from being slack at work to going in to complete overdrive so have been doing the classic working stiff two pass hurry up shaves in the morning. I'm gradually getting impressed by this blade. Have to say it's probably the best long lasting vintage blade that I've tried. Coming from an uncultured philistine blade sceptic that's pretty high praise, even if I say so myself. In honour of this I've changed my name to Cultured Philistine. Is a much more interesting name. Uncultured and Philistine go hand in hand after all. Thought about the opposite, Uncultured Gentleman for instance but that will subject me to vitriolic comments.

As for the rest:

Wannabe Wee Scot wee little re-knot brush (I've got the most obscure collection of brushes)
SIM cream

Well another thoroughly boring shave today. I'm kind of treading water until the R41 drops into my hands again, which should be Monday or Tuesday.

I thought I was hiding the fact that I miss the R41 quite well. Is it obvious? It's obvious isn't it?

Brush: a badger that I used to use in a lineup with the R41. God I miss that razor.
Soap/Cream: TOBS Eton. I can remember how neatly the R41 cut a swathe through the thick foamy lather.
Razor: Shut up about other razors ok JUST SHUT UP
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Black. These also go really well in an R41 combo. Thisis the seventh shave on this blade. Still going well. I won't change it until the R41 is back.
After-shave: A man who hasn't got an R41 doesn't deserve AS.

Well another thoroughly boring shave today. I'm kind of treading water until the R41 drops into my hands again, which should be Monday or Tuesday.

I thought I was hiding the fact that I miss the R41 quite well. Is it obvious? It's obvious isn't it?

Brush: a badger that I used to use in a lineup with the R41. God I miss that razor.
Soap/Cream: TOBS Eton. I can remember how neatly the R41 cut a swathe through the thick foamy lather.
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Black. These also go really well in an R41 combo. Thisis the seventh shave on this blade. Still going well. I won't change it until the R41 is back.
Have you got your "welcome home to daddy" setup ready? It should be quite a reunion. Need to mark the occasion with a nice drop or two...of blood.

............I can't mod, that might require some sort of serious response at some point..........

No it doesn't. The only thing, as this site gets bigger, is the need to limit the number of off topic diversions. When there were basically half-a-dozen active people here that really didn't matter too much. I was (proudly) one of the worst offenders then and find myself apologising if I do it now. But it's now actually getting tricky to find stuff if it's not in the appropriate thread.

Hmmm, that was actually a serious response wasn't it. Damn, I'm slipping.

No it doesn't. The only thing, as this site gets bigger, is the need to limit the number of off topic diversions. When there were basically half-a-dozen active people here that really didn't matter too much. I was (proudly) one of the worst offenders then and find myself apologising if I do it now. But it's now actually getting tricky to find stuff if it's not in the appropriate thread.

Ah thanks PJ for the response on user etiquette, though this is the SOTD thread so could a mod please move this to the appropriate location?

Thanks

On topic..... Occams original this morning. This latherability impresses me every time. It's so smooth to use. I'm quite used to the soft chai scent too. I must order lime, anyone want to go halves in occams crushed lime?

Last edited:
Number 13 with the P74.
Have to say it's probably the best long lasting vintage blade that I've tried. Coming from an uncultured philistine blade sceptic that's pretty high praise, even if I say so myself.
In honour of this I've changed my name to Cultured Philistine.
Betterment and education from a blade alone ?
Must be a brilliant blade.

Aww, it's on it's way back and you're even able to track it as you know by now :)

Perhaps you could report and self moderate ? :)

Number 13 with the P74.

Have to say it's probably the best long lasting vintage blade that I've tried. Coming from an uncultured philistine blade sceptic that's pretty high praise, even if I say so myself. In honour of this I've changed my name to Cultured Philistine.

This is approved @Pjotr, welcome to the rest of society.

----

Meanwhile, after the Conk bashing of the last week, I dug through the drawers and pulled out the Conk Lime. Haven't used it in at least 2 years. The green colour is has now changed to a deep straw colour.

Lathered up with the little Kent piggie VS10 and went to work. Rubbish lather. Rubbish shave. 2 reasonable nicks.

Relegated it to bath soap. Will probably do the same for the Amber and also the Bay Rum pucks.

Also noting now at the end of the day I am much more oily on the skin than normal, pores feel a but 'plugged up'. Was a warmer day in Sydney but nothing that bad. Definitely isn't agreeing with me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.