Shave of the Day 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I'm jolly glad to have got the Simpsons over the Muhle (the British win again, déjà vu '45)

You'll be able to buy another vintage razor that you 'need' now Mark

[emoji106]

Razor: Gillette New Short comb
Brush: Omega boar
Blade: Lord 1st use
Soap: Irisch Moos
Aftershave: Speik
Prep: A wash with face soap followed by a hot towel

The shave:
Razor/blade: Gillette New Short comb/ Lord blade (1st use)
Having come around again the New Short comb was up again. Through continued use this razor is very intuitive and very similar in practicality to a full bar razor albeit more efficient in moving down the daily crop.
Fairly light weight and with good sense of balance this razor is fairly forgiving. I have found it easy to switch back and forth with this razor and it is a mark that this is foremost a useful tool besides being pretty to look at and enjoy.
As for the Lord blade whilst ok, I found it lacking in sharpest. I still managed to achieve a stellar shave, however this was through careful beard reduction making sure to go through each and every pass before attempting any aggressive against the grain passes.

Brush: Omega boar
Attempting to face lather with this brush again I am faced with the conclusion that boars with a small knot/high loft combination are really suited to bowl lathering. Building lather on your face with this brush is a bit awkward as circular motions can be tricky. Bowl lathering this brush provides much more satisfaction as once fully loaded the brush feels much fuller and larger on the face. That said the tips were acceptably soft and once the lather begins to form the brush becomes more compliant.

One feature I am not a fan of with this particular boar is the painted bristles. Personally I favor undyed boars and probably for this reason I would certainly go the B&B essential of this Omega.

Soap: Irisch Moos
As soap no longer produced and often praised I personally found it to be quite good during the shave. Inexperienced as I am with shaving stick I found myself having to reapply between passes, however this may have been due to the brush as it doesn’t hold much lather. The tallow based formula in my opinion is very suited to a shaving stick as I found it gentler to apply as it feels softer when rubbing it on your face than glycerin based sticks I have used. Overall I found the scent to be middle of the road. I personally don’t mind Tabac, and as this two often get compared I would probably side with Tabac given price/convenience.
Post shave my skin felt moisturized, however several rinses were required before it felt as if all the soap residue had been removed.

As a second time use now, it has cemented my opinion that this is a quality product. The combination of a nice scent and stellar performance meant my skin was left feeling protected through the entire day. Unlike some other aftershaves where I feel it may be necessary to follow up with a moisturizer afterwards, Speik remains on the skin whilst not being oily or shiny.

Attachments

• The Moos.jpg
    The Moos.jpg
    416.3 KB · Views: 8
Brush: Simpsons Duke 2
Soap/Cream: Razorock XXX
Razor: Weber PH
Blade: Personna Lab Blue
After-shave: Myrsol Agua Balsamica spiked with 444 balm

Flawless shave with a nice little zing at the end.

Brush: Vulfix #374 SuperBadger
Soap/Cream: Simpsons Lavender & Vetiver
Razor: Fatboy (7)
Blade: Francais Wilkie (6?)
After-shave: None.

These blades really work nice on the degradation slope. You can attack WTG and just slow down a bit on the XTG.

Brush: Vulfix #374 SuperBadger
Soap/Cream: Simpsons Lavender & Vetiver
Razor: Fatboy (7)
Blade: Francais Wilkie (6?)
After-shave: None.

These blades really work nice on the degradation slope. You can attack WTG and just slow down a bit on the XTG.

With the Simpsons cream how does the Vetiver affect the lavender scent?

It gives the normal 'sharp bitter' note to it, but this is a standard fougère accord so it works well. The GF likes it too so major bonus points there.

I am a big fan of it - if you like the scent of Speick then this is well worth a look. The quality of cream is top notch too, lathers amazingly well. You can get the Simpsons cream locally from Mensbiz, although I am not sure if the various scents are in stock.

As a second time use now, it has cemented my opinion that this is a quality product. The combination of a nice scent and stellar performance meant my skin was left feeling protected through the entire day. Unlike some other aftershaves where I feel it may be necessary to follow up with a moisturizer afterwards, Speik remains on the skin whilst not being oily or shiny.

Bit confused. This pic is the Balm, not the aftershave. All balms are pretty much moisturisers. If that's what you used, it's not really a suprise you didn't need a moisturiser...

But everrything you said does apply to the aftershave too IME.

We are all going to die soon,so for fuck sake stop worrying about money.

Just do whatever the fuck you are into and enjoy it or not.

How soon? I don't want the money running out first...

Last edited:

Just do whatever the fuck you are into and enjoy it or not.

Money has become some sort of thing that people hang on to.

People kill each other for money and lead lives that have money at the heart.

Just do stuff and enjoy your life as it has nothing to do with money unless you yourself make it so

Ummmmmm did you just get out of bed on the wrong side yesterday or was there quite a bit of alcohol consumption 'enhancing' this post? :cautious:

IMHO (and perhaps it wasn't meant to be that way but this ain't 1998 and online postings a new thing) this comes across as as tad (as in a LOT) agro - I'm no puritan but the tenor of the post isn't consistent with this or many other threads here - it's a shaving forum not a Mogadishu speakeasy. This apart from the fact that it's (with all due respect) a completely deluded comment as right or wrong money is a real and major factor in the vast majority of members lives - and for one I'd not really want a fellow member to spend with reckless abandon as gawd knows that'd prolly not end well and generally everyone here, yourself included seem like really good folks.

I am a big fan of it - if you like the scent of Speick then this is well worth a look. The quality of cream is top notch too, lathers amazingly well. You can get the Simpsons cream locally from Mensbiz, although I am not sure if the various scents are in stock.
From the little of the Simpson's cream I have tried, it is excellent. In the recent Travelling Box were samples of the Peppermint and Rosemary. Lovely scent with top lather.

All scents are currently out of stock at Mensbiz.

From the little of the Simpson's cream I have tried, it is excellent. In the recent Travelling Box were samples of the Peppermint and Rosemary. Lovely scent with top lather.

All scents are currently out of stock at Mensbiz.

My pet hate (in general) - large range where half the items are sold out at any given point in time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Unfortunately there are more than a couple of members here who are retired or disabled pensioners. For them, being able to pay the bills and put food on the table is indeed a daily concern.

The great thing about this 'hobby' is that you can buy a razor, some Arko, a brush and some blades from BestShave for less than $20. Or you can go and give @Mark Watterson some silly money for a $500 Manchurian Badger brush which has a handle of fossilised Ivory, and the badger hair was plucked by naked Chinese virgins. Or something like that.

And one thing I will never allow on here is someone being made to feel like they cannot participate here because they feel like they cannot afford to, or their taste of products do not match someone else's standards. The whole Arko-lovers vs Arko-haters is in good humour - I am yet to see a personal attack on that side but if I do there will be a very serious response.

That said, the general thrust of your comments are indeed correct - if you can pay the bills then try not to have the budget consume your life. I have seen many family arguments over money and inheritances. Don't be those people.

Could be worse. Could be a guitar forum. Or even worse, an audiophile forum. Some of those places are money trains wrecks.

Exactly.

One of the biggest parts of this forums is that we share the finds, split the rewards and look after our own. If someone needs blades or soaps and could not afford it, then 3 people come forward offering it for free.

Most of those Guitar/Audio/YKW forums are basically everyone for themselves.

SOOOO - back on topic ...

SOTD anyone?

I thought we were waiting for you to test drive the P74

SOOOO - back on topic ...

SOTD anyone?

Yes, I did. Thanks.

Some of the love is leaving the room for the Fatboy...can't seem to get as good as I used to.

Used the Omega 10011. Fk me this is a big brush. Cost me $15. I could almost have bought a 6 pack for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.