Shave of the Day 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shave no 12 with the P74. Actually getting a little bit rough now. I might try to see if I can push a few more out but it's getting to the stage where I want to shave with something new and sharp.
The rest:
BS re-knot
Tabac cream

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416468181.085716.jpg

T. R. Cadman straight
Omega travel brush
Mr Taylor's shaving cream
Nivea balm
Jermyn st AS

Hot afternoon, I think the jermyn st was a mistake, I find it a bit warm and heavy on a hot day. Mr Taylor's was as boring as last time.

Wow the heat - time to roll out the grapefruit, Proraso green, and so on!!

My shave today:

38c with voskhod
Tabac and a brush

Man I binned the vokshods. Maybe they are not for me.
How's the Weber Vs 38c thing going?
Which is better for you?
And is there a blade that works the same in each razor?

Smog fanbois on there reckon that Smog brushes need a break-in period of 20-30 shaves. Previous to that they hog lather and are scratchy, but once broken-in are heavenly. Same guys normally concede Omegas are softer and have better flow-through out of the box but don't mature like a Semogue. So let's see….

Sounds like the usual fanboy bull.
"I've got a Semoque. They are superior brushes because everybody knows that and they obviously cost more than an Omega. They therefore must be using superior boar bristle and these, like running in a Ferrari, take more time. But the end product is superior to anything else out there. Like a fine wine. It's the price you pay for quality products"

I've come across break in concepts on many forums - notably audio ones. It's often a confirmation bias that refuses to believe something isn't working as they'd like it to in the first place.

Oh god, I forget about the audio break in. Training electrons to go round an amp in the most efficient way. Or my headphones sound so much better after 300 hours of non stop white noise at full throttle.

How's the Weber Vs 38c thing going?
Which is better for you?
And is there a blade that works the same in each razor?

Well I think I like both. Weber is more aggressive and so I have to be a bit more careful. I have been on the road so webber weekends and 38c weeks. I have been working through my Gillette platinums because I didn't like them and wanted to finish them. Was looking in my blade stash and found the V's. Tried in the 38 and was disappointed... I haven't tried in the webber.

So short answer I can't choose yet which razor I like more. The webber is amazing built, for me wish it were a tiny bit milder. Feather and webber trial soon.

Oh god, I forget about the audio break in. Training electrons to go round an amp in the most efficient way. Or my headphones sound so much better after 300 hours of non stop white noise at full throttle.

From and engineering point of view I would believe it. The moving parts might be a bit stiff at the start. Like a cars engine. Would be interesting to see if it could be measured and proven.

Last edited by a moderator:
From and engineering point of view I would believe it. The moving parts might be a bit stiff at the start. Like a cars engine. Would be interesting to see if it could be measured and proven.

They've been there done that. Some slight frequency changes have been shown, but none significant enough to be audible. Manufacturers won't go near the concept with a bargepole. Salespeople embrace it.

Lots of unpaid ones YKW...

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this concept able to explain some peoples view upon ARKO!!! ?

........From and engineering point of view I would believe it. The moving parts might be a bit stiff at the start. Like a cars engine. Would be interesting to see if it could be measured and proven........

Absolutely. I've heard a pair of new speakers have a very audible change over a period of about ten seconds. It's just the cones being seriously operated for the first time. Makes total sense. But after a very short period your speakers are just basically slowly but surely wearing out. I've got a pair of 30 year old Mission Speakers from the days when they were still made in England. They're so broken in that the cones on both of them have broken and been repaired. Still sound absolutely amazing. Lots of very crisp low end grunt. Bit like hearing a Harley come past. That's what 30 years of white noise will do. And a pair of sons cranking them too loud for too long. Anyhow going off topic very fast here.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416514092.020359.jpg

Italian morning.

Reestablished my love of Proraso green and menthol in general. The Nonno Michelino balm fits nicely with a few dabs of bay rum.

Is this concept able to explain some peoples view upon ARKO!!! ?

People who don't like ARKO! need to have their faces broken in? I'm down with that concept [/turkishthug]

Semogue 830 - Arguably the finest boar brush. Much better than that Omega junk with the fisher price handles.
ARKO!
Gillette Black O'Clock
Merkur 34C
Speick ASB

Just for the haters :)

Virgina Sheng Synthetic: absolute bargain of a brush!
EJ89 with Weber Bulldog handle
Muhle Rasurkultur (yes THOSE blades - review posted!):
Mike's Natural Soap 'Barbershop'

Very, very good shave - particularly as I did without a shower beforehand and yet had absolutely no irritation at all after.

Semogue Owners Club Cherry wood handle boar
Monsavon
Slim Shady
Vintage Polsilver/Wizamet
Thayters witch Hazel Aloe Vera spiked with 444

Damned fine 4 pass + touch up shave.
Coming from the R41, I had to keep checking there was a blade loaded and it was on 9!
15 minutes after and absolutely zero sting/irritation, period.
Impressed, yet one shave maketh not a blades reputation, so it will be assayed again tomorrow :)

Status
Not open for further replies.