Shave of the Day 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today's cream - Gft almond sample.

Yuck.

I don't want wedding cake icing for lather.

I would never part with polymer for this experience. Bay rum was applied with liberal abandon afterwards.
Perhaps you better skip most Italian soaps (Cella, P160, etc) as they all have an almond scent...

Brush: Muhle Synthetic Travel Brush
Soap/Cream: Euro Palmolive Stick
Razor: Gillette Sensor Excel cartridge 'system'
Blade: Gillette Sensor Excel cartridge
After-shave: Booster Oriental Spice

This has been my SOTD since last Wednesday and will continue this week in Oxford and till I leave the UK next week.

Can't wait to get home in some ways!

Guess cella and p160 would be out if they also smell the same. I tried Coates almond and never got past 1 shave with it either.

Our notes are made from polymer.. Err I mean I wouldn't go and buy almond cream...

But that's the beauty of samples! Buying soaps you like is good, but avoiding paying for something you don't like/wouldn't use is better.

Sorry stillshunter, I will keep things very simple for you!

Pjotr has sent me some ARKO!!!! He is a nice person. I will go and shave with it now to try it. I have not used ARKO yet. That means this will be the first time I have used it. I am looking forward to seeing if I like it or not. When I have decided I will tell you. I will call my post "what I think of ARKO" or something similar, so you know what it is [emoji14]

Sorry stillshunter, I will keep things very simple for you!

Pjotr has sent me some ARKO!!!! He is a nice person. I will go and shave with it now to try it. I have not used ARKO yet. That means this will be the first time I have used it. I am looking forward to seeing if I like it or not. When I have decided I will tell you. I will call my post "what I think of ARKO" or something similar, so you know what it is [emoji14]
Keen to hear what you think about the arko mate. I reckon the peg's staying on that avatar of yours.
Yeah I'm the thick one on here….I used to think it was a part of my charm but now I realise it's just annoying for us all. Then again if I get it everyone does...

Today's shave

Gillette foam,
Gillette Mach 3 and blade

It was a good enough shave but wish could take razor blades in planes, carry on.
My commiserations mate. I wish they sold decent blades on the other end. Be happy enough to buy a 5pack when I landed. Best I found at supermarkets so far are Wilkinson Swords. I hope this will change as more folks wet-shave.

My commiserations mate. I wish they sold decent blades on the other end. Be happy enough to buy a 5pack when I landed. Best I found at supermarkets so far are Wilkinson Swords. I hope this will change as more folks wet-shave.

I am starting to notice less and less blades in the super markets. Not every Coles and woolies stock DE blades I have found.

Brush: Simpsons Duke 2 (best)
Soap/Cream: Haslinger Sheepmilk and Lanolin
Razor: Weber PH
Blade: PermaSharp Super (PSS)
After-shave: Myrsol Agua Balsamic

cOV1Ift.jpg

More detail on the Haslinger here. But got to say after a few shaky shaves of late, this one restored some of my confidence. Half an hour or so on and my face feels extraordinary!!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415059949.905188.jpg

Brush: Frank Shaving ST badger
Soap/Cream: Haslinger Honey
Razor: Merkur 38C
Blade: Voshkod [1]
After-shave: Myrsol Antesol

First shave with the Haslinger soap from Austria. The honey scent was delightful- a semi-sweet, creamy scent. A good lather as well. Expected nothing less from a decent hard soap.

Finished with the Antesol which I really dig.

Shave no 4 with the P74, still going strong.
BS reknot
Stick of SIM

Must load a new stick of ARKO!!!! Please note the absence of a fifth exclamation mark and hence a new member. I tried but the prospective applicant, like the rest of you, suffers from some sort of olfactory impairment. It's a bit like trying to get kids to eat Brussels sprouts. Should feel sorry for him really. Yeah, I feel sorry for him. When you become a big boy you'll love it @Nonick . You'll first have to take the dummy out and stop saying: "This smells like pee-pee mummie".

Shaved this morning with RazoRocks Don Marco (Italian for orange popsical) the sweet orange tang appealed to my childish, immature olfactory senses. It went a long way towards uncurling my nose hairs from last nights ordeal

RazoRock is slick stuff

Playing around with shims in a DE89 - put one in with a Feather blade and that gave a very nice shave. So thought I'd double down and put two in for the next one, NOT good. Quite a bit of irritation, removed the 2nd shim and the shave was much better. Must say the DE89 is a very nice razor in the hand - feels quite well put together. That even though this is the barley handled model - so has some texturing, its a slippery bugger if any lather gets onto the handle. Really pity the folks with the smooth ones as they must be like a cake of soap. Have no idea why they made them so poor in this regard - I mean every model of Gillette even back 100+ yrs had a well textured handle for a reason!

Used Arko (queue the exclamation marks brigade quips!) - sure it lathers effortlessly and I've never understood folks aversion to the scent, which is actually a very traditional Turkish one (Lemon splash on cologne is often offered to guests upon arriving or leaving one's home) - but its cushion and poor moisturising irks me after having used better soaps. Hence it's largely become the wife's 'leg shave' soap. Used the Smog 2000, which along with the other natural bristle brushes I have seem a tad miserly after a few weeks use of the VS Synth - their lather is so much poorer and more labour intensive.

........Used Arko (queue the exclamation marks brigade quips!) - sure it lathers effortlessly and I've never understood folks aversion to the scent, which is actually a very traditional Turkish one (Lemon splash on cologne is often offered to guests upon arriving or leaving one's home) - but its cushion and poor moisturising irks me after having used better soaps............

Damn, another potential convert goes down the drain. You seem to have a pretty sensitive skin. Didn't like De Vergulde Hand either, another cheap soap. You'll be leaning towards expensive soaps with sexy french/italian names for the remainder of your shaving career by the sounds of it.

.......... Hence it's largely become the wife's 'leg shave' soap..........

That's worthy of an exclamation mark or two!!

Damn, another potential convert goes down the drain. You seem to have a pretty sensitive skin. Didn't like De Vergulde Hand either, another cheap soap. You'll be leaning towards expensive soaps with sexy french/italian names for the remainder of your shaving career by the sounds of it.
…or Speick, which can be had for $8 a stick (less 15% from MensBiz using code BB2014) and bestows upon the user the cushion, glide and moisturising powers of the more closely shaved of the teutonic gods!

Oh no, I don't mind the stuff but lets face it - it's low end/value soap, if you could load a trolley up with soap at some store as a freebie you'd not be going after the red tubes with the smiling man! Its great value and beats anything at its price point and for whatever reason has a cult following (part of which I think is solely based on the humour value) but as they say in boxing a good big man beats a good little man - same with Mike's/La Toja/MWF vs Arko.

No my skin isn't too bad - I know after that 'Worst blade in the world' gig you probably have the hide of a Nile crocodile but I'm quite good. The De Vergulde Hand clearly has a perfume in it and that was irritating and quite drying and again thats a real cheapie soap - but I've no had issue with anything else. So no I know others here go for the really high end stuff but I'm pretty much mid-range.

Brush: Muhle Synthetic Travel Brush
Soap/Cream: Euro Palmolive Stick
Razor: Gillette Sensor Excel cartridge 'system'
Blade: Gillette Sensor Excel cartridge
After-shave: Booster Oriental Spice

So exciting - not

Status
Not open for further replies.