Shave of the Day 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brush: Muhle STF
Soap/Cream: GFT Limes
Razor: 38C
Blade: Personna Super 'Lab Blue' [3]
After-shave: GFT Skin food Limes

A very Lime-scented shave. The Muhle synthetic generates a generous amount of lather. Once again, IMHO the cream disappoints. I'm just not a fan of the quality result. Decent enough lather, but it just isn't as slick as I feel it ought to be. It's cushiony but not brilliant. The scent is lovely and doesn't overwhelm but remains through out the shave.

Post-shave with the Skin Food. It's great stuff. Soothing and calming. It simply melts into the skin. The scent packs more zesty punch than the cream, but I find it doesn't last once applied to the skin. I'm certainly not catching strong whiffs of it.

P74, #2
Eclipse Red Ring
Horsey brush
Jermyn St, as it fell off its ledge in the bathroom and cracked the bottom. Salvaged most of the soap into an old TOBS jar, and used the brush to salvage most of the rest onto my face.
Floid Vigoroso

Another nice shave.

Now, where's my Proraso menthol gone? It's about time I started using that.

P74, #2
Eclipse Red Ring
Horsey brush
Jermyn St, as it fell off its ledge in the bathroom and cracked the bottom. Salvaged most of the soap into an old TOBS jar, and used the brush to salvage most of the rest onto my face.
Floid Vigoroso

Another nice shave.

Now, where's my Proraso menthol gone? It's about time I started using that.

good salvage.

Jermyn street, now with exfoliating nail clippings.

Today: Mr Taylor's shaving cream. Well.. A pleasant soapy smell. That's about all I can report. Like the Toyota Camry of the tobs range. Performs well, a little boring though. I wouldn't buy a tub of it.

It's thick enough, even up here in the Darwin heat to not ooze out everywhere.

Jermyn street, now with exfoliating nail clippings.

Really? Between this and the durians posts you have a vivid imagination or ....

... don't worry [mental note: no trades with @nocick]

:)

Brush: Semogue 1305
Soap/Cream: Cella
Razor: FaTip Piccolo
Blade: IP Red --> PSS
After-shave: Myrsol Agua Balsamic

Was like a kid who just walked through the gates of Luna Park - so many new things to try…and right in the back of my mind is some recollection from the news of the Ghost Train. So exciting and scary…not sure how I'm going to cope with the Travelling Box if I was this stupefied by a small G&C order.

Anyway decided on the FaTip for starters and thought the safe bet an IP Red - so clang, clang, clang and she was loaded up. Put on my glasses to see how aggressive it looked and glad I did. It was all a bunch of different angles, the blade weren't loaded straight. Hmmm....I'd read somewhere about blade alignment issues with the FaTip and so I'm glad I checked. No major, just gave it a little tweak and we were ready to go….into the shower. Let the 1305 soak as it was the first use.

Face hot and wet, I was ready to load the XXX, but at the last minute decided to switch to the Cella. No reason barring because I could and the red caught the corner of my eye. The 1305 has never been used - not even shampooed, but it did fine with the first pass application. OK, showtime. FaTip to face and….was OK. Continuing with the first pass and I'd rate it just OK. By the moustache zone, I'm experiencing stuff that was not OK, now we're tugging and skipping. Something just aint right - hmmm, this FaTip is supposed to be smooth right? I mean this is a razor designed for Italians - smooth in delivery from solid hirsute men not whimpers from wispy white willows? Anyway I was transported back to a shave during my QLD holiday, where the Weber felt the same. Ahhhh, maybe it's the blade? Changed out the IP Red for a PermaSharp Super (PSS) for the second pass.

Lather for the second pass, this will feel good I reckon and…..dribble. No lather. WTF - where'd all that fresh yoghurt go? Recharged the 1305 and it was OK, kept working it and the lather started disappearing into thin air…or face. Not sure where it was going but I assume this is what fresh pig is like - wouldn't know as I've only ever used pulled pork (used boar). A little disappointing but we'll see how she goes by shave 20 or so when I hear the Semogue finds it's stride. Must say though that the handle is comfortable.

So second pass with the FaTip this time a PSS loaded. Contact and….buttery bliss. This blade and razor was just working now. Yeah the handle could be meatier and even a little heavier, but the head is soooo nice. FaTip needs a smooth sharp blade and here the PSS delivered. Not sure what's the story with this batch of IP Reds I have but they are not what I recall from this blade, nor what drew me to buying bulk amounts of them!

Great shave in the end - though the 1305 needed constant feeding (which I hope works itself out as I'm not a fan of stubble in my soap!), and I did re-open up a little of the damage under the nose from the last Super/Spoiler shave.

Ahhhh..yeah dessert. Usually not a fan of savoury for afters but rounded off with some Agua Balsamic. Not sure if folks would just call it flavoured alcohol but it did nice things for my skin (ahhhhhhhhhhh) and the smell. It transported me to someplace nice. I assume the mixture of rosemary, thyme and lavender took me back to the old country or the warm kitchen of an aunt or other relative not long on our golden shores. Love this stuff and reckon I'll be staring at a bottle when I'm a dottery old g-man.

Feeling pretty darn good.

I am going to get some hate for this...

FRESH DERBY BLADE!

Dialed the slim down to 7, and had a great shave. There's nothing wrong with these blades at all, most people hate them because they started out on them and didn't have the skill they require. They moved to Personna Reds and got a better shave, then hate the Derby for life.

If you have been shaving with vintage blades lately, go ahead and try a Derby again. You might be surprised.

If you have been shaving with vintage blades lately, go ahead and try a Derby again. You might be surprised.
Funny you mention this RM, as the Muhle R41 that arrived yesterday was packaged with a single Derby blade.
You sure you find them sharp enough? I'll take your advice though and will try them out again…if they fail I'll send what I have left in the bucket your way.

No problems with it at all. Good shave, no irritation. I have a couple of patches around the jawline but I wasn't going to push it with a blade I had not used in a while.

I have more than enough of them, no need to send me more. All I am trying to say is get your skills happening, then once you can shave with a Spoiler/Shicksta then go back to the Derby and see how it goes.

They do not deserve their reputation - apart from the higher than average number of dud blades.

Last edited:
No problems with it at all. Good shave, no irritation. I have a couple of patches around the jawline but I wasn't going to push it with a blade I had not used in a while.

I have more than enough of them, no need to send me more. All I am trying to say is get your skills happening, then once you can shave with a Spoiler/Shicksta then go back to the Derby and see how it goes.

They do not deserve their reputation - apart from the higher than average number of dud blades.

But then again there's no such thing as MUM or below MUM (that almost sounds rude) in your book.

Lather for the second pass, this will feel good I reckon and…..dribble. No lather. WTF - where'd all that fresh yoghurt go? Recharged the 1305 and it was OK, kept working it and the lather started disappearing into thin air…or face. Not sure where it was going but I assume this is what fresh pig is like - wouldn't know as I've only ever used pulled pork (used boar). A little disappointing but we'll see how she goes by shave 20 or so when I hear the Semogue finds it's stride. Must say though that the handle is comfortable.

Fresh piggies are notorious at eating all your lather for the first dozen or so shaves. Worth it in the long run though...

Ahhhh..yeah dessert. Usually not a fan of savoury for afters but rounded off with some Agua Balsamic. Not sure if folks would just call it flavoured alcohol but it did nice things for my skin (ahhhhhhhhhhh) and the smell. It transported me to someplace nice. I assume the mixture of rosemary, thyme and lavender took me back to the old country or the warm kitchen of an aunt or other relative not long on our golden shores. Love this stuff and reckon I'll be staring at a bottle when I'm a dottery old g-man.

Feeling pretty darn good.

Love that Myrsol AB. What a scent!

Was it @Possombelly that added it to the TB2? What a legend!

Not much to say as my shaving has become a routine sort of event each morning.

I just go between my Feather AC , my Futur and my vintage thing (Slim adjustable, I think)

I use different soaps or creams and blades which I think about during my shower and then go and shave.

The thing is that they are all rather satisfying and efficient.

I still think that this Plisson synthetic brush is the best brush I have used so far, it seems to work with everything in an exemplary way.And so soft for my delicate little face:sneaky:

You can look up my old brush threads if you like, but this is why I binned Smogs. One day they work ok, then next they are shit. And they also need a bloody good shampoo before the first use, there is a heap of dye in there and it needs to be washed out. Then instead of being totally shit, they're intermittently shit. Load up your soap and hope for the best...

You can look up my old brush threads if you like, but this is why I binned Smogs. One day they work ok, then next they are shit. And they also need a bloody good shampoo before the first use, there is a heap of dye in there and it needs to be washed out. Then instead of being totally shit, they're intermittently shit. Load up your soap and hope for the best...
Thanks Drubs. So, mate, how do Omegas differ from their Portuguese brethren? Less treatment, more hair, better knot, etc???? I read somewhere on here that a boar is a boar is a boar, but I'm reading something different from you. Unless you're saying Smogs but referring to boars generally? Must say my Omega 31025 lathers better and is softer, but this one is well-broken in.

Status
Not open for further replies.