Shave of the Day 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surprised you haven't got a team of people that you have sold stuff to located all around the country willing and able to drop off a handful of blades at a moments notice.

Surprised you haven't got a team of people that you have sold stuff to located all around the country willing and able to drop off a handful of blades at a moments notice.

Now there is an idea!

Next time I'm in Darwin can I use your den?

Is this the PH? If so, tell me more about it.

It is the polished head.

I fits somewhere between a Merkur HD and a Muhle R41 with regards to aggressiveness.

It seems to shave as efficiently as the R41, but feels a LOT smoother (feels mild) and it's easy to "throw" around the face without fear of blood flowing.

I get BBS shaves with it a lot, if they are not BBS, they are DFS!

I think they could be the cheapest stainless razors available (correct me if I'm wrong), anyway, I think they are very good value for money.

Great to hear your thoughts @Keen edge . Love the Merkur HD but want to try something a little more aggressive. My current level of skill hasn't brought out the best in the R41, yet, so a razor that is something in between might just be the ticket.

After much umming and arrring I cracked on the weekend and purchased a PH with Bulldog handle from Weber. Hard to resist an all-stainless razor priced at $US70.

Anyone know of a rehab clinic for guys like us?

Great to hear your thoughts @Keen edge . Love the Merkur HD but want to try something a little more aggressive. My current level of skill hasn't brought out the best in the R41, yet, so a razor that is something in between might just be the ticket.

After much umming and arrring I cracked on the weekend and purchased a PH with Bulldog handle from Weber. Hard to resist an all-stainless razor priced at $US70.

Anyone know of a rehab clinic for guys like us?
Lyrics to hotel California come to mind :)

A Feather blade blu tac'd onto a stick is safer than shaving with the R41.

In other news, I shaved with a borrowed Fatboy & PSS today. A better outcome than my Slim, without the Home Alone sit-com fun with the aftershave.

Wonders never cease.

The R41 2011 is not THAT bad - you just need to be careful.

It reminded me a lot of the vintage Gillette Old Types - Double and Single rings etc

Well it's encouraging to know that it's not just me. The odd cut or weeper doesn't bother me. Its the hours feeling that my face was dragged on a bitumen road.

Happy to be back in Cairns and back to my own shave den.

Brush: Frank Shaving Pure Badger
Soap/Cream: Last bit of TOBs Sandalwood (not a fan, wont get it again, the smell is too chemical smelling)
Razor: New second-hand Merkur 39c Slant Razor
Blade: Gillette Platinum
After-shave: Which Hazel then Neutrogena spf 15 face stuff for men.

SO what's new..... Well I often use the 38c but tried the 39c today! Not too scary a shave... Worked very well.... is it an improvement over the standard 38c..... I shall shave a few more times to check.

How do you date Schick razors ?

If you're speaking of the Schick Krona, you can't. What I can tell you is that the Short Metal knobs are from 1964-1965, the Long Metal Knobs are from late 1965- early 1966, by 1967 there was no more metal knob and you could read SCHICK KRONA on the doors and around 1971 it was Schick Schick. They stopped the production around 1974.

Reknotted Ever Ready boar
Irisch Moos stick
The usual SPUD with a Schick on No have no idea, must be ten.

Just changed the blade. Not because I couldn't have got a few more out of it but it just gets boring.

Fatboy on 4
Astra
Limes freebie

Definite step down from the 4 shave old feather in the same yesterday. But the FB is a more useable razor than my slim

Must be Fatboy week.

Fatboy on 6
GSB (2)
Mystic Water soap
Semogue Mistura
Proraso Splash

A quick 1-pass just to make myself presentable at the coffee shop and the office. Don't recall using GSB's in the FB before but they compliment each other.

Back on the 30C and Feathers. Never thought I'd say this, but I'm buying 100 of them. They are seriously fuckin good. Not much chop after 4 shaves, but you're paying for the edge, not a long life.

Highlights for me how aggressive the 34C has been all these years, and I've been looking for blades that work in it. Anything sharper than Astra spelled trouble for me if I didn't take care. Marks bag o vintages didn't go down to well either, so I can only assume a number of those were aggressive too.

Currently trying the Fatboy, and will go a proper shave with a fresh feather.

.........Highlights for me how aggressive the 34C has been all these years, and I've been looking for blades that work in it......

The victim of your own one razor policy. You've got a few years of catching up to do.

...........Anything sharper than Astra spelled trouble for me if I didn't take care. Marks bag o vintages didn't go down to well either, so I can only assume a number of those were aggressive too..........

This'll open up a whole new world of blades for you.

The victim of your own one razor policy. You've got a few years of catching up to do.

It starts with the razor though. In 5 years I've only found 2 that I really got on with - I've bought and sold maybe 6 more? Plus Mark's treasure trove of stuff I didn't like at all.

The 30c tames sharp blades, without giving up performance; the nirvanac utopia most look for. It smoothes out rougher blades, like the Vokshod, but don't get any better performance from them, imo. The PSS just stay smooth and sharp for days. I just never thought to try Feathers with it before, as they've killed me every time.

This'll open up a whole new world of blades for you.

Not sure it will much. I've tried most of my stash in the 30C and the same old blades I like are still the standouts.

Razor: Schick Krona
Cream: Old Spice India
Blade: Schick Super Chromium (I've lost the shave count BUT this bloody thing is getting smoother and smoother.)
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Volcanic Island Bay Rum

I did a 4 passes shave NTS, STN, ETW and WTS for a BSS result.

Usual sort of shave but then I saw the headline to this article in my news feed (picked up because of the Christian school reference)

Classic NT (not-)News

Status
Not open for further replies.