Shave of the Day 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Keen edge could you give a talk on your synthetic brush at the synth brush thread.

I am for one am really interested.

Ditto. I'm interested in your experience of the Muhle synthetic.

Brush: Duke 3
Soap/Cream: Mikes Orange, Cedarwood, & Blackpepper
Razor: Weber Polished Head with Bulldog handle (Maiden voyage)
Blade: Voskhod (1)
After-shave: Proraso splash

This was a very average shave right from the get-go. The weight of the Weber made the handling quite awkward to me. It's something that I'll have to get used to after years of using lighter razors. The normally smooth Voskhod blade felt very aggressive. The head on the Weber and the 34C look identical to me so I'm putting it down to weight difference.

I'm disappointed with my first attempt but hope to make up for it tomorrow morning.

Feel free to pass on any tips or thoughts.

I confess I too have shaved several times since my last enthralling posting here. But to be honest it has all been a little humdrum. Lather up some Simpsons - remove with a blade. So this weekend it will be time to dig into the treasure chest of aged razors and try something different. I have a selection of 3 piece razors I have never tried as well as a collection of blades brushes and lathery stuff. So I shall start a voyage of discovery and report on my exciting adventures in due course. I know it will be difficult for some of you to remain patient but I am afraid an adventure like this takes time to prepare for.
Until we meet again.
Come on gt, I can't stand the suspense, my confession is below.

Used my now favourite brush, yeah the Plisson synthetic.
Used some Cella, nearly spewed with that disgusting smell (I need to put some essential oil in that stuff) but it worked.
Used the Feather straight Japanese thingy.
Used my homemade after shave after the usual Alum block.

PS. I grated my Geo. Trumper Sandalwood puck and turned it into a stick today, it was a very aroma filled experience so will try it soonish. Perhaps.

PSS to above.
I had the empty wooden container from the Geo. Trumper and some left over gratings so squished some creams into it all and made some croap.

It smells pretty good (no Cella) so I will see how that works after a bit of melding and steeping.

Used my now favourite brush, yeah the Plisson synthetic.

Fanboi already!?! Must be quite the French kisser to your face...

It is mate, I am now enamoured.

This brush just works, I have learned some of its little hidden things and am certain that more shall be revealed, well some of them, it is a brush of revelation.

I love the fucking thing, it just works in so many ways. At first (day 1)I was crestfallen and thought it was a failure, but now I cannot bring myself to use anything else.

Viva Le France, bloody French, arseholes, the lot of them. Hey, everyone hates the French.

But this brush kicks arse.

Hey, everyone hates the French.
I don't!

Unless this is a deft bit of reverse psychology mate (hype the brush so it'll sell) it's sounding good. Went into L'Occitane the otter day. As I suspected, no Plisson (God Canberra is boring!)….and the girl tried to convince me that the little synth travel brush - that you'd use to comb your eyelashes - was the only brush L'Occy carried. Yeah right. So yet to see a Plisson synth in the flesh. Then I walked into Aesop's, oh boy - them guys know how to charge for small squeezes of goop. Though in their defence they stock Simpsons brushes…OK only a travel and a HUGE mother of a brush...that would need no circle work, just pump it once at your closed mouth and your whole hairy zone be lathered.

Anyway, lest I suffer the wrath of the Moods.
Brush: Classic 2
Soap/Cream: Tabac (soap in bowl)
Razor: NEW UK LC with Weber bulldog
Blade: Gillette Black Ninja
After-shave: Tabac AS lotion
Cologne: Tabac EDC
Top shelf in every respect. If I had to introduce Drubs-style austerity measures then I'd furnish the shelf with nothing but Tabac, Gillette shiny bits and a Simpsons brush (CL2 or D2) and I'd be pretty darn content.

Oh the joy!

Back from a conference where I was using my Excel. Today at home:

Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap/Cream: Occams Original
Razor: Merkur 38C
Blade: Personna Blue, shave ?
After-shave: SIM lotion

SOOOOOO nice

Brush: Duke 3
Soap/Cream: Mikes Orange, Cedarwood, & Blackpepper
Razor: Weber Polished Head with Bulldog handle (Maiden voyage)
Blade: Voskhod (1)
After-shave: Proraso splash

This was a very average shave right from the get-go. The weight of the Weber made the handling quite awkward to me. It's something that I'll have to get used to after years of using lighter razors. The normally smooth Voskhod blade felt very aggressive. The head on the Weber and the 34C look identical to me so I'm putting it down to weight difference.

I'm disappointed with my first attempt but hope to make up for it tomorrow morning.

Feel free to pass on any tips or thoughts.
Advice?
Hmmm…
Are you sure you are using absolutely zero pressure on the razor? If you're used to a lightweight maybe you are applying pressure subconsciously but have gotten away with it. I found the same thing with my NEW once I put the Weber bulldog under it - like I was french-kissing a cheese-grater - but I backed off all pressure and now it just gliiiiides and sliiiiices. So check your pressure, use 100% less and then, once you've nailed that, scale back by another 50%.

P.S. If you tire of that Weber, esp. the head, please let me know. Customs here has had mine in their custody for over a week now. Tried ringing to yell at them but apparently I have to wait another week…and then only the sender can? :WTF: I have a very bad feeling about this…and I want my WEBER!!!

The Fatboy (sold. Mark must be relieved…) got a run with a PSS. While it's definitely useable and got a decent result (unlike many vintage razors I've tried), I think Feathers may have ruined every other blade for me*. I could never tolerate these til now, but they work brilliantly in the 30C and Fatboy.

I'll probably run through my now ample stash with the Fatty, but it might be more a case of finding which will be of any long term use*.

*My get-out clause here is that I'm trying to get a great shave the day after getting a cue ball job with a feather, so stubble is very short and at its toughest. Time ail tell.

So LaP- how did you go?

I'm pleased to report that my second shave with the Weber was a pleasing one. Any thoughts of purchase regret (ahem, R41) were gone after the first pass. The razor just felt more comfortable and accustomed in my hand. God knows but may be I was too cocky on my first go. Few more weeks with it before I call this a keeper but it looks promising.

Thanks Stills and Drubs for your advice.

SOTD No.2 for today.

Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap/Cream: Mikes Natural Soaps - Hungarian Lavender
Razor: Merkur 38C
Blade: Personna Blue, shave ? + 1
After-shave: Olgallala Bay Rum with Limes and Peppercorns

About to go out to the theatre with the wife - so though I'd better freshen up.

Great to be having nice shaves again.

The Mike's is wonderful - seriously you MUST get some. I'm not a fan of lots of hard soaps but this is one you should get!

As for the Olgallala Bay Rum with Limes and Peppercorns - again, IMHO, sensational!

Looking forward to a great night :)

Wow, @Mark1966 that is no mean feat at all. That's twice what @Drubbing had and three times what he needs. ;)

I've always been a big fan of Gillette's cool adjustables, just never found one that was any good, god knows Marks sent enough Brit and US versions for my to try a while back. Most irritated me, so not being picky about shave quality.

I've always been a big fan of Gillette's cool adjustables, just never found one that was any good, god knows Marks sent enough Brit and US versions for my to try a while back. Most irritated me, so not being picky about shave quality.
So @Drubbing have you found the Fatboy the only suitable Gillette or the only suitable Gillette adjustable? Just wonder if you'd have found something like a SuperSpeed or Tech to be smooth?

Status
Not open for further replies.