Review: Lather for Shaver Heaven Soaps

@MrT Thank you for the feedback and ideas. It's been brought up several times in this forum, so I will focus more effort on making some Australian based scents. One I can think of immediately is sourcing some lavender essential oils from local lavender farmers as well as looking at other oils made right here which have a unique scent.

Thanks for your feedback guys! It helps, and I am listening!

@filobiblic I was inspired by recent use of "Caties Bubbles French Style" soap, so I have created my own. I have made 2 tubs for testing purposes, however, it takes up to 2 - 3 weeks to cure. So I'll keep you guys posted.

@stillshunter I'm so glad you had a positive experience with my soaps. Yes, that is version 1. I have now moved onto Version 2 of my soaps which are a lot more "harder". Still same ingredients, however, with the addition of Sodium Lactate and totally different process. The soaps still perform top notch and have all passed the 20 min lather check. I have been told by people who have used it that it lathers easier than V1 and that the lather is thick, dense and glossy and provided plenty of glide.

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I really appreciate it and am currently working on some new scents. Yes, I will be working on some Aussie based scents as well thanks for all your feedback!

Sorry to confuse folks, I moved my review of the Shaver Heaven Forbidden Forest here.

@Anthony - is the performance of your croap/soap identical across the range with difference only in scent? If so I'm getting me some of your stuff but am unsure which scent I prefer.

Great to hear @Anthony! I'd love some French style soap. What kind of scent are you planning for it?

I thought the V1 lathered very well so if this is a notch higher then you're doing remarkably well!

Yay for Aussie scented soaps. [emoji4]

@filobiblic Thank you :) I've been working with Douglas Smythe and Christopher Cullen (both great gentlemen) in enhancing my product. I am still doing a lot of R&D to make it lather a lot quicker than the V1, and have switched my process as a result. Same ingredient list with just a few minor tweaks here and there. I'll let you guys know when it's finalised. I'm hoping to add more scents to the list soon, and will also be looking at sourcing local essential oils (from various farms, etc) vs. imported stuff (thanks to all your input and ideas).

Douglas Smythe as in HTGAM fame ?

"Bad guy" who makes good soaps.
I'm sure it'll be the quality of the soap making that rubs off on @Anthony rather than the dubious marketing (in the past). [emoji4]

Well, I was exercising politeness in my query :)

I saw HTGAM soaps on ebay for $24. By all accounts is great soap I wes's tempted. Though I think the description needed editing

---------

Each soap comes in an aluminium tin with a whopping 15 inch (12.7cm) diameter.

This large surface makes it far easier to load up your brush before lathering up in a mug or on the face.

---------

That's one large tin alright!

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/131251202326?cmd=VIDESC&gxo=true

That's where I got mine from. Without a doubt the best soap I have used by a long long way. If anyone could match that performance I would buy a lifetime supply.

That's where I got mine from. Without a doubt the best soap I have used by a long long way. If anyone could match that performance I would buy a lifetime supply.
HTGAM is OK, but not the best I've used. I have no hesitation in claiming Occams superior!

Actually on that note, the Shaver Heaven 'Forbidden Forest' is better than the HTGAM Cavendish I once had...

I'll give Occam's a try for sure. Maybe it's just me but I rate the HTGAM soap a long way ahead of Cella, any of the razorock soaps, TOBS and many others in my collection. Everytime I use one of the previous mentioned then go to the HTGAM soap I'm blown away.
I'll give the shaver heaven a go when the barbershop scent comes out.

I'll give Occam's a try for sure. Maybe it's just me but I rate the HTGAM soap a long way ahead of Cella, any of the razorock soaps, TOBS and many others in my collection. Everytime I use one of the previous mentioned then go to the HTGAM soap I'm blown away.
Yeah mate I reckon once you tried some Aussie artisan goodness like Occams, Shaver Heaven and Johnny Goodsir you'll see little reason to swallow that Bald Eagle amber-wave-of-grain slack-jaw patriotic hype.

Artisan made soaps are great. He's a clever soap maker Ole' Douglas and his soaps are well made (and marketed!).

You've only mentioned RR as the only other artisan soap maker, and Joe's soaps are modelled after the Italian style. TOBS is like fast food; easy to reach for, yet gives little return for the effort...

I say, try a wider range of artisan soaps...

IMHO the top artisan soaps are jostling for first position by splitting hairs.
> HTGAM/PAA has great scents and unique marketing (that's the area of Douglas' training).
> Occams uses the finest ingredients and quality expertise to create a unique quality shaving cream. (Darcy who makes Occams is from a family of a soap makers!)
> Mike's Natural soaps adds in a lot of quality ingredients designed to nourish and take care of your skin.
> Anthony of Shaver Heaven is the newest kid on the block and is muscling his way ahead through learning fast...
> Manuel of Jabonman uses quality ingredients that combine for a terrific all-round high-level soap.
> Will of Barrister & Mann meticulously crafts unique soaps to enhance his soaps.
I could go on...

Basically the artisans hand-craft in small batches soaps that are high quality and performance. The traditional mass-manufactured soaps are still great, but they are just different.

It's like beer. There will always be the big boys - some classics like Crown, and others like...well, Fosters... But there are the craft beers, the artisans, the new lads. They create something different and novel that stands out.

I'm a big fan of artisan soap makers from around the world (especially from Australia!), but I reckon there is also a reason why some of the shaving classics are still with us. There is always a spectrum when it comes to the big traditional soaps & creams... You're going to have reliable and safe go-to's that's have been used by barbers for years (Proraso, Cella, etc). But there's also the high level soaps from the traditional companies (eg DR Harris triple milled soaps, etc).

Crikey, time to get off the ole soapbox I reckon...

Please stop, my will power is weak...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419054477.953160.jpg

Shaver heaven creams arrived. A few days after ordering. Excellent communication from the company. Good packaging, no damaged tins here! Also two samples included! Thanks Anthony.

The Forbidden Forest tin is larger, (100ml in a 150ml tin) which works so well as the cream is well below the rim. The grapefruit and lime is the smaller tin 90ml.

First impressions....(I have a slight cold so I will update this if my thoughts change when full olfactory senses are working)

The grapefruit and lime scent has a very sweet citrusy note. I really loved the tobs grapefruit so jumped at this but they are certainly different. The tobs was really raw grapefruit rind with bite! This is a sweet citrus that remind me of toilet freshener actually. I didn't want to describe it that way but it's what comes to mind when I take a wiff.... Hoping it grows on me when lathering.

The forbidden forest (v2) I think is going to be a winner from the start!! It's a complex lavender scent. The scent is quite strong. I took a sniff at the v1 sample filobiblic sent me and I couldn't really smell much at all. Confirm the scent has been given steroids in the off season. This is good. Also Anthony wasn't joking when he said his soaps are harder now. You have to press firmly with a finger to dent them. I notice the v1 was more like a gooy cream.

FWIW the Aladin sample smells like cinnamon with a few other spices in the background. The Bay Rum smells like a fairly smokey version of this classic scent.