Review: Lather for Shaver Heaven Soaps

Oh please! It is a stereotype joked about on just about every Dave Chappelle, Harold and Kumar show or movie , and many other black comedies
If they can joke about these without any hint of racism, why can't I?

Oh man.............. (n)

I just wrote a whole bunch of stuff but if your precedent/exhibit A is a "Dave Chapelle/'they' saying stuff therefore why not you!" I think I'll leave it with you having the last word as is so we can focus back on Ant's soaps.:censored:
:whistle:

Nah, we can bring it back. It's fine for DC to say it because he is black? Never mind the fact that he is a well educated man, the son of two university professors who was taking the piss out of people from a different social spectrum to himself.

Now my comment was a throw-away meant as light relief , and was in no way meant to insult anyone of black American culture, and I apologise if it has.

But in general entertainment today we are seeing a lot more of this celebrating of culture rather than sweeping it under the carpet. Black-ish a show I happened to watch just the other night poke fun at their own culture at any chance they can - and which prompted me to write what I did (see http://www.denverpost.com/television/ci_26933278/tv-takes-new-approach-race-going-beyond-color).

A joke can be a joke at any time, you have just read malice in one where it was never meant.

I agree thought that this should be taken from this thread about soaps.

Last edited:
Hey guys... As always I'm going to be open and honest with you all. In regards to the "Berry Delicious Cream" I decided to pull all my creams as I wasn't happy with the "Consistency" of the creams and didn't want to leave myself open for criticism. As probably some of you already know, oils react differently is soaping, and as such, the Berry Delicious Scent (which I have been told by 2 people so far smells like Grape Flavoured Hubba Bubba, and quite frankly I agree to a certain point) managed to set (as per my video). It wasn't terribly hard, but wasn't overly soft. However, the other scents ie. Forbidden Forest, Dark Lavender both reacted differently and were very runny. I contacted one of the testers who I had sent the product to, to tell him I was pulling the product from the shop. I actually got a phone call from him the next day asking me if I could continue the product as the consistency was off, but the performance was top notch. So I'm currently working on solidifying the cream a bit more... juggling act needless to say.

The soap which is on special is Forbidden Forest as pointed out by @Nonick. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the product inside, and if you ask me, in all honesty, its 150ml for $10 just because the tin is dinted. Purely cosmetic and the same soap batch that was used by @filobiblic.

The Choc Mint smells more chocolate than minty, however, has the same performance as the other soft soaps.

Late to this, but my 2c is that the consistency isn't that important if the product is good. I've had TOBS creams that vary in viscosity from runny to croap. I don't care. They work the same. I'm not at all bothered if a cream turns up as a cream and turns into a croap. That's how I get through cream samplers, it eventually loses moisture. I use it as soap...

But bubble gum scented soap, Choc mint, any sweet food stuff? That's not my thing. I don't want a cream to smell like I should be eating it. By all means try something different and bit mental. But offer something more trad. too.

@Drubbing I wish everyone thought the same RE: the Consistency. I personally love the product (without sounding too cocky). It lathers great, performance is also top shelf, however, having it really runny wont appeal to many, as next they'll be labeling it a "hand soap" meant for shaving (thats the consistency we are talking here). However, given all the positive feedback I've had about it, I will keep at it and try and get it more to a "Cream" consistency. The Soft soap has been "Hardened" up a bit. Its still soft, but not as soft as the previous batch. However, cure time will be a lot more prior to sale and I will include instructions to leave the lid off (as some other artisan's do).

Point taken RE: the Scents as well! As I said, I was just exploring some scents that no one had done previously. For example, I know that SOME people HATE rose scents. I personally dont mind them. I also have the GFT in Violet (both cream and soap) and enjoy using them especially in the summer months.

I will definitely bring back some of the more traditional scents eg. Bay Rum (black beard), Neroli (not your typical scent but out there), Forbidden Forest (Lavender with a twist), etc. THanks for the feedback as always!

@Nick the Knife Once again thank you for your in depth thoughts and suggestions.

Firstly, I know what you mean about doing what is tried and tested, however, my personal spin on it is, take for example the TV. I know this has nothing to do with soaps, but if someone didnt think outside the box, we wouldn't have "Smart TV", better technology etc. I'm just thinking outside the box. I know the true and tried works, but I would love to offer these traditional scents as well as new scents to stand out from the crowd.

I know what you mean about the ingredients list as well, but in all fairness, I could address that quick simply by putting a drop of Kokum Butter in my soaps, and listing them as an ingredient, however, I'm not like that.
I have made a cold process shave soap, and that has more than 6 different oils in it. For those looking at ingredients it may appeal more, but the fact of the matter is if I like 3 or 30 ingredients if performance is no good, then no one will be interested in my soaps or creams.

My apologies about the MDC. It was a loan soap off a friend of mine, and I was just blown away that it listed Stearic Acid, Coconut Acid and Potassium Hydroxide. First off I thought "impossible", however, I was advised that the soaps are left to cure for 5 months, so maybe that would dry them up a fair bit?

I understand where you're coming from, and I thank you for taking the time to bring your thoughts to the table.

In regards to the packaging, I'm working on it... I'm thinking of using 150ml tubs only filled to 100ml to allow extra room for the brush and lather. After I've used them all up, I will look at switching.

In the mean time, here is another video on my forbidden forest soft soap:

In the next week or so, I will be sending a few items out to various video reviewers, so you should see a lot more poping up (with any luck).
The sample pots STILL haven't arrived.... Grr...

Last edited by a moderator:
@Anthony , just out of curiousity (and forgive me in advance if it's an amateur/non-soapmaker question) - but why do you not seem to have any lye/alkali saponification agent listed on your soft soaps' ingredients?

I'm unaware of the ingredient listing requirements in Oz - but seems universally done, even by other makers so seems somewhat curious by its absence.

@Nick the Knife Good point my Appologies. I will update the packaging on all my products. Just FYI the 2 missing ingredients are Sodium Hydroxide and Potassium hydroxide.

Hey guys, well the stickers are on the way. Sample pots are here, unfortunately they are the wrong ones (3g). I will be including them with all purchases going forward so you can get to try some of my other products.
I have a new process of making my soaps which I have been trialing since last week, and I can say that the results are awesome!
I call them "Small Batch" as they are 65g pucks which can be purchased by themselves (to be pressed into your own bowls/mugs, etc) or can be purchased with a 100ml tin (which will leave ample space for your brush to load up).
I have 250ml tubs on the way, and 100ml moulds on the way as well.
New and exciting fragrances as well! Neroli is one of them, Sweeney Todd will also be back in stock by the end of the week hopefully.
Speaking of which, I will be renaming my products to be in line with your suggestions eg. Bay Rum (instead of Black Beard), Sweeney Todd will probably be "Classic Barbershop", etc.
Got a busy few days ahead, however, I've managed to make a whole HEAP of new soaps.
Soaps will now come sealed in shrink wrap (for freshness). Boxes will be used to hopefully minimise damage to tins going forward.
I'll keep you guys posted! Or just keep an eye out on the website!
Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Great name change, I think it will work in your favour. I shall look out then for classic barber in cream then!!

Hey guys.... quick one... I've just put up my newest product "Sweet Almond Milk" soft shave soap. 100ml of soft soap in a 150ml tin (you spoke, I listened). This will leave ample room to load your brushes in. They are available for purchase on my site now... I still have heaps of new products to post up... here's a hint... Grapefruit Lime.... Awesome summer soap if you ask me! I'll try and get around to posting that up later tonight or tomorrow. AS always, open to comments.... Thanks Guys!
sweet-almond-milk-shave-soap.jpg

Sigh... ok well looks like I didn't include the "Grapefruit and Lime" in my label order, so looks like you get the plain old labels on the side of the tin.
The "Grapefruit & Lime" are up on the site now, and same with the "Aladdin". I also aim to put "Heavenly Amber" on there later today if I get around to it.... if you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to ping me. I've got a batch of Bay Rum to put up, but unfortunately I didn't check the darn label before it got printed and there's a Typo "Shaver Hevean" or something like that... lol..

Also forgot to mention, the old stock has been discounted as I would like to make room for the new stuff... so check it out and pick yourself up a bargain while they last :)

Hi all.... "Heavenly Amber" is now back in stock. I will also be putting up "Black Beard" aka Bay Rum. Like all the new soaps, it will be coming in a 150ml tin with 100ml of soap to allow room to load your brushes in. As always, if you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me! Thanks again!
heavenly-amber-shave-soap.jpg

Oh I forgot... "Aladdin" is also back in stock for those of you who want to try something different. It's very "Spicy" in scent. For full description, check out the website.. Yes, I've been a busy boy!!
aladdin-shave-soap.jpg

To celebrate the "10 days of Christmas" we are offering REGISTERED customers 10% off their purchase from Midnight 15th Dec - to Midnight 25th Dec. Use the code "XMAS10" at check out. Note: You need to register an account to take advantage of this offer and it does not apply to shipping costs.
www.shaverheaven.com.au
BTW: Bay Rum (AKA: Black Beard) is back in stock!

Hey guys.... "Summer Fling" is now up as well.... Very nice summer scent... light, crisp and more along the lines of a "Melon" scented soap... yet again another different scented soap from your norm... Still working on the new Menthol soap, I'll keep you guys posted.
summer-fling-shaving-soap.jpg

Hey guys.... "Summer Fling" is now up as well.... Very nice summer scent... light, crisp and more along the lines of a "Melon" scented soap... yet again another different scented soap from your norm... Still working on the new Menthol soap, I'll keep you guys posted.
summer-fling-shaving-soap.jpg
If this is the same scent as the aftershave balm with the same name, then it's a lovely sweet melon. Very fresh and fruity. Perfect for summer.

Just read the discussion. My 2c if you're interested.

Soap performance is so much more important than scent. There are many highly sort after soaps that don't really have a scent other than 'soapy', but which perform very very well and hence people want it. MWF or Razorock XXX come to mind. So I agree with everyone else that if you absolutely nail your base formula, people will buy your product. You only need a couple of good scents too. No need for dozens. So I would appropriately spend the majority of RnD time on the formula rather than the scent.

I LOVE the idea of Australian scents. Bush scents. I am imagining the smell of a walk through a dry park... Eucalyptus, Wattle. Sounds amazing. Plus, I'm a huge fan of lanolin, which is also very Australian.

This is only my preference, but I like scents named for what they are. Is it grapefruit? Call it grapefruit. Is it Sandalwood? Call it Sandalwood. You get the idea.

I also don't care much for scents like rose, lavender etc, but that's just me.

And this is a little off topic, but has anyone thought of using paw paw extract in soap? I love the Lucas' paw paw ointment for my lips. It's the absolute best. If there were a shaving soap that was as nourishing to my skin as paw paw is, I would buy it in an instant.

Just read the discussion. My 2c if you're interested.

Soap performance is so much more important than scent. There are many highly sort after soaps that don't really have a scent other than 'soapy', but which perform very very well and hence people want it. MWF or Razorock XXX come to mind. So I agree with everyone else that if you absolutely nail your base formula, people will buy your product. You only need a couple of good scents too. No need for dozens. So I would appropriately spend the majority of RnD time on the formula rather than the scent.

I LOVE the idea of Australian scents. Bush scents. I am imagining the smell of a walk through a dry park... Eucalyptus, Wattle. Sounds amazing. Plus, I'm a huge fan of lanolin, which is also very Australian.

This is only my preference, but I like scents named for what they are. Is it grapefruit? Call it grapefruit. Is it Sandalwood? Call it Sandalwood. You get the idea.

I also don't care much for scents like rose, lavender etc, but that's just me.

And this is a little off topic, but has anyone thought of using paw paw extract in soap? I love the Lucas' paw paw ointment for my lips. It's the absolute best. If there were a shaving soap that was as nourishing to my skin as paw paw is, I would buy it in an instant.
Tell you what @MrT is onto something with the Aussie bush scents and the pawpaw. Hope no yanks are hovering around ready to swoop on this honest piece of Aussie ingenuity. ...damned septics!

@filobiblic Yes, exact same scent...currently working on a top secret batch.. You'll heat about it if it works out... I hope to try it later tonight...
Pre-shave soap? [emoji6]

@filobiblic I was inspired by recent use of "Caties Bubbles French Style" soap, so I have created my own. I have made 2 tubs for testing purposes, however, it takes up to 2 - 3 weeks to cure. So I'll keep you guys posted.

@stillshunter I'm so glad you had a positive experience with my soaps. Yes, that is version 1. I have now moved onto Version 2 of my soaps which are a lot more "harder". Still same ingredients, however, with the addition of Sodium Lactate and totally different process. The soaps still perform top notch and have all passed the 20 min lather check. I have been told by people who have used it that it lathers easier than V1 and that the lather is thick, dense and glossy and provided plenty of glide.

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I really appreciate it and am currently working on some new scents. Yes, I will be working on some Aussie based scents as well thanks for all your feedback!