Review: Lather for Shaver Heaven Soaps

Good on you Anthony for responding and taking advice on board. I'm sure everyone here would love to see you enjoy good success, and get another great home grown soap maker (well I would anyway)

I wonder what oils you'd need to make a blue mountains bush scent. That eucalyptus scent sounds pretty good.

Scent suggestions ?
Hmmm, let's start off simple.

Luna di primavera
Gardenia, jasmine and a light background of lavender.

Should be appealing to both sexes.

Or if you seek a challenge...
Fougère Nobile

Top notes
Bergamot, lemon, lavender, rosemary, tarragon, mace, nutmeg flower

Middle notes
Jasmine, green notes, rose, cyclamen, carnation, geranium, fir, basalm fir

Base notes
Cedar, patchouli, sandal, musk, tonka, moss, vetiver, amber, sandalwood, tonka bean, oakmoss

Berry delicious sounds ok to me. Fruity scents seem to be in at the moment. Caties bubbles and TIKI seem to be going down the floral and berry path and both have a huge fan base.
Let me know when you release it for sale and ill grab some to try, i like the look of that lather. Send me some and ill even do you a YOUTUBE review vid for your site ;)

Berry delicious sounds ok to me. Fruity scents seem to be in at the moment. Caties bubbles and TIKI seem to be going down the floral and berry path and both have a huge fan base.
Let me know when you release it for sale and ill grab some to try, i like the look of that lather. Send me some and ill even do you a YOUTUBE review vid for your site ;)

It's already available on the site as a soft soap, $10 damaged tin stock. Bargain.

Hmmm... Also Choc mint (the description sounds more interesting that the name) and Black beard (a Bay Rum) are available...

Someone needs to give them a try... [emoji6]

Sorry that was forbidden forest I saw. Got confused!

Try here instead

berrydelicious.com.au

Hey guys... As always I'm going to be open and honest with you all. In regards to the "Berry Delicious Cream" I decided to pull all my creams as I wasn't happy with the "Consistency" of the creams and didn't want to leave myself open for criticism. As probably some of you already know, oils react differently is soaping, and as such, the Berry Delicious Scent (which I have been told by 2 people so far smells like Grape Flavoured Hubba Bubba, and quite frankly I agree to a certain point) managed to set (as per my video). It wasn't terribly hard, but wasn't overly soft. However, the other scents ie. Forbidden Forest, Dark Lavender both reacted differently and were very runny. I contacted one of the testers who I had sent the product to, to tell him I was pulling the product from the shop. I actually got a phone call from him the next day asking me if I could continue the product as the consistency was off, but the performance was top notch. So I'm currently working on solidifying the cream a bit more... juggling act needless to say.

The soap which is on special is Forbidden Forest as pointed out by @Nonick. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the product inside, and if you ask me, in all honesty, its 150ml for $10 just because the tin is dinted. Purely cosmetic and the same soap batch that was used by @filobiblic.

The Choc Mint smells more chocolate than minty, however, has the same performance as the other soft soaps.

Speaking of which, I have now created a V2 of the soft soaps which I will be using going forward. I find that it performs just as good as the V1 soaps, but has more cushion and glide while also being a harder soap than the V1 (but still soft to the touch). Like the V1, you'll be surprised as the small amount needed to create a good lather.

I know a lot of you are on the fence about purchasing from me, and rightly so. I am currently hounding my supplier for those sample pots (that being said they are very small). Soon as they come in I will make up some Sampler packs for you to try out most of my products so you'll know for yourself.

I don't make any money off the shipping (you can check the receipt). All items are sent with tracking numbers, and are packaged in a cardboard box with void fill as well as bubble wrap. Thats the best I can do to try and ensure the tins arrive to you without being damaged.

If a great lather with the scent of "Grape Hubba Bubba" is you're thing, give my Berry Delicious Soft Soap a go! I'm making a new batch shortly and will have it up for sale soon.
With all the feedback I've had, I may look at renaming some of my soaps to make them sound more appealing.

Sounds good Anthony. I'll be skipping the hubba bubba, but let us know when the sample pots arrive I'll be buying a forbidden forest one! And what happened to the sweeny Todd cream? Was I imagining it?

Oh, grape hubba bubba doesn't sound like what I had imagined.

@Nonick No problem. When my wife first smelt it she was like "Grape Hubba Bubba"... I was like Yeahh maybe... Sent it out to one of my testers, and he was like "Your wife was spot on, purple hubba bubba".. So I'm just letting you know so you're not disappointed. The Sweeney Todd is one of my favourite scents. I'll be mixing up another batch of it soon. I only had a few, and the sold pretty quickly.
@eggbert No problems! I know it's not everyones cup of tea, or bubble gum of choice ;-) Just relaying what was said to me so far..

Oh, grape hubba bubba doesn't sound like what I had imagined.
AKA Gatorade Fierce Grape and now I know what it smells like, I'm curious to try it :s

Pity there's no African American's here. I hear that grape flavor goes down well in some places.

Put me down for a Sweeney Todd, seriously...and a tub of the "Latin Steaminess of Jimmy Smits" not so seriously, but even without having to explain the notes it's a flavour that'd certainly sell no matter the sex, gender, race, colour or creed of your punters.[emoji6]

Pity there's no African American's here. I hear that grape flavor goes down well in some places.
o_O

@eggbert , I like to eat sashimi but that doesn't mean I want to smell like it, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the same is true for Afro-Americans and grape flavour. To imply otherwise could really come across in a manner other than what I'm sure you intended.

@Anthony , RE: packaging - appreciate the backstory etc. I'm not talking about your packaging int he future etc - PERSONALLY I think you'll give yourself a real point of difference if you try and source a container that easily allows the user to load his brush without getting excess lather etc everywhere - e.g look at the ones that Soap Commander uses in the USA, I have read multiple feedback on people loving the packaging as its easier to use. Ones filled to the brim you can only barely twirl your brush in are a PITA. Its not a must have BUT if the marginal cost isn't prohibitive it shows you're understanding the user experience.

That said at present your soft soaps are (as you alluded to above and clearly shown from your vid) far more like creams. FWIW I wouldn't be averse to selling them instead as CREAMS. Most people here actively use them so it's not a weakness - but I still believe your base forumulation getting the best it can be and that includes the consistency is priority #1.

So RE: Packaging what I really meant was find an interim solution or whatever it takes to get a logo (assuming you have one you feel happy with) onto your product. Notice how the vast majority of wetshavers even transfer the old packaging's logo when they decant or mill a product into a new container, because they love that stuff. Anyway I've no idea how many old logo-less packs you have to go and what your stock clearance is like etc but I'd be loath to send out any product without some type of logo on it.

@Anthony , RE: soap ingredients - Ummmm I'm 99.9% certain you'll find that if there are 3 items only shown on MdC soaps thats more to do with very loose labeling requirements in France or you having an old puck - as from what I can see they atleast have six. That said I don't know if I was a soap maker I'd use them as much of an example as they largely seem to get sales on the basis of their previously built rep rather than actually being an actual best in class soap - the wide consensus is they're one of the most overhyped products in wet shaving which is saying something!

You see and again I say this with all due respect but you're talking from YOUR perspective as opposed to an average prospective buyer and I'd say the vast majority of folks who are looking to buy an artisan made soap WILL look at the ingredients list. Leading artisan soapers seem very aware of this and hence a full list plus large print on their labels saying they have kokum butter, shea butter, lanolin etc is very common in leading soaps - so whether these make any difference to the soap is INCONSEQUENTIAL as consumer perception is they're important, thats why they're advertised so prominently. And I'd say that its all but certain that IF incorporated properly into a product they would enhance it's end performance.

The average user here perhaps owns I don't know 3-5 soaps, and generally artisan ones are far rarer due to accessability and cost. So IMHO you've got to objectively look at your product as if you were one of these consumers who are also considering the myriad of other choices and say so why would they choose to go with mine rather than the others?

And RE: folks saying it has to be something new and different - so if someone else is doing it why bother. Sorry but thats absolute simplistic baloney. Firstly, you're basically questioning the logic of ANY product maker who's not got anything UNIQUE to offer as that was a mandatory requirement. There are next to NO UNIQUE products in the entire consumer sphere, let alone Wet Shaving. If it's good it will generally always sell regardless of the number of competitors etc - obviously having a point of difference is handy but thats a given.

So take for example a Bay Rum scent. By the logic others have stated making one is silly as others already do it. Well first you're insulting Anthony in saying he couldn't do one that'd be able to compete. Second, you're basically saying WTF did everyone AFTER the first few makers bother making one for as the market by your logic was 'saturated' with Bay Rum soaps.

Soaps and scents are SO MASSIVELY variable that to imply they're almost commodities and all much of a muchness is madness.

Certain scents are popular, they SELL - thats the key bit you're missing out on - its all fine and good to make a Banana/Menthol/Frangipani scent but is that going to sell. A GOOD Bay Rum based scent will ALWAYS sell and to a much broader sales base than something very niche. As is as a wet shaving soap maker you're marketing to less than 1% of the market, so you really need to maximise the viable sales demographic - atleast for the core of your product line and then have a few more niche scents you perhaps rotate or trial and see how they go.

I'm certainly not advocating just do bog-standard stuff as that will simply never work. Look at someone like Stirling Soaps, who are kind of regarded as the leaders in trying whacky scents. They have a core of classic stuff they stock and stick with, but they rotate all kinds of exotic stuff and if it really works they will add it as a normal line. And that said all the STOCK stuff is their own takes on it so in itself can be very creative and different.

And finally it's all fine and good for folks to say different it good/don't do what everyone else is - but the flaw in this is again shown by the fact that everyone else BASICALLY follows similar lines as IT WORKS. Its a very brave or well financed person who says otherwise and that path is strewn with previous travellers who again thought they knew something that everyone else didn't.

The easiest example if this is there's no grape scented soap on the market at present and by all reports Anthony's one is a very good one - but folks who were advocating do different etc aren't interested in that product now. Simplistic point? Yes, but simply being different is WAY down the list of consumer desireables when choosing a product.

On a sidenote you do realise that we're saving you THOUSANDS in focus group testing. :)