Vintage Travelling Blade reviews: Schick Plus Platinum

Hmmm, so just for interest what would be a good price in these if somebody was struck down with RBAD?

The others too for completeness ...

You should be able to pick the Schicks up for south of $1/blade, I would expect 80c would be reasonable.

Spoilers will be around $1.20/blade. Anything less then $1.00/blade is cheap.

The Personnas - I have only ever seen the for sale once, and I bought them.

You should be able to pick the Schicks up for south of $1/blade, I would expect 80c would be reasonable.

Spoilers will be around $1.20/blade. Anything less then $1.00/blade is cheap.

The Personnas - I have only ever seen the for sale once, and I bought them.

So Feathers are looking reasonable by comparison!

Thanks mate - purely academic question of course :sad2:

...........Thanks mate - purely academic question of course :sad2:

Yeah right!

Just had shave No 7 with the Shick. I left it in the razor for 5 days while we were away (had a go with a SI in my travel razor but that's another story). Amazing! Felt like a brand new blade. I'm sure I can push this one to 10. I've always questioned the reasons for unobtanium blades to have gone out of production and the hype associated with their qualities was nothing more than that. Although I can't honestly claim that the ones I've tried sofar have vastly superior shave qualities they do have an amazing endurance. That has to be why they're not produced anymore.

Well, that might be so but the problem is in a week or so when I've run out of vintage blades (only got a Personna left to try) I'll be back to my whinging Philistine ways. Shark this, Shark that, MUM blades etc etc. I can just see you tightening up already RM. So, how about 100 of these babies at say...50c/blade (I'm negotiable on this). You'll do us all a favour!

No 9. Still nothing uncomfortable. No tugging or anything. Sure, it's not as sharp as before but I can see a few more still.

No 10 and I'm still not giving up on this one. I'll pay $1/blade for these. Where can I find them?

No 10 and I'm still not giving up on this one. I'll pay $1/blade for these. Where can I find them?

Hopefully I've got some coming !!!!

I've searched the bay but virtually all I get are vintage blade wrappers. Pages of the damn things. I mean, who collects blade wrappers!

I've searched the bay but virtually all I get are vintage blade wrappers. Pages of the damn things. I mean, who collects blade wrappers!

Like I said, i have some coming hoprefully and am happy to share :)

Alternatively - some Schicks here - just sweet talk him into posting to Australia. If you just want a few - see here.

Or maybe some SIs are more your thing - seem a decent price from what I've seen elsewhere.

Last edited:
Some pretty good links there Mark. Thanks. How many of the Shicks have you got coming?

No worries. I should have 270 of the Schicks hitting the shore soonish. I'd only keep a max of 100 so should be a few to share around if people are interested.

No worries. I should have 270 of the Schicks hitting the shore soonish. I'd only keep a max of 100 so should be a few to share around if people are interested.

Hey Mark, I will throw down for a small handful if/when you are trying to unload them!

Cheers

Wow.....I'd love to buy some (50 or so or whatever is reasonable) off you.

Last edited:
When they arrive I post pics in a thread here and find out who wants how many and we can go from there - should be plenty :D

It there is a lot of interest in getting more let me know and I'll keep looking!

I'll buy'm all day long. Just had shave No.....lost count...11? Although it's lost sharpness, there's no tugging or that scratchy feel you get after three or four haves with any standard modern blade. Still smooth and I'm still gunna shave with the damn thing. My only worry is that I'll have to prise it out of my razor with a chisel or that it'll leave a mirror image imprint of Shick Plus Platinum on the inside of the cap.

On the whole I don't think the shaving qualities of this and the other vintage blades I've tried (still to do the Personna) are what really sets them apart. Yes, they're all a bit smoother and sharper (can bite you on the first couple of shaves if you're not careful) but the longevity is where they're more valuable. And the Shick rules as far as I'm concerned. If it was made by Gillette it'd be upwards of $2/blade.

Just did No 12. I decided to finally throw the blade. I could have gone on shaving with it but I finally opened up the razor after nearly a month and it just needed a serious clean. The blade had almost taken on a permanent curvature. Was getting rust marks here and there due to long term electrolysis (just made that up). Amazing blade. At a guess........off the top of my head......worth 73c/blade.

Last edited:
Just did No 12. I decided to finally throw the blade. I could have gone on shaving with it but I finally opened up the razor after nearly a month and it just needed a serious clean. The blade had almost taken on a permanent curvature. Was getting rust marks here and there due to long term electrolysis (just made that up). Amazing blade. At a guess........off the top of my head......worth 73c/blade.

I think there has been a tiny bit of culture instilled.