Vintage Travelling Blade reviews: Schick Plus Platinum

Again with the Arko and Slim set to 7 and I have finally worked out why I like this blade so much.
At least in the combination I use it feels a lot like an SE (forgive me RM).
From the inventor of the Thomas Method[SUP]®[/SUP] then I feel that is high praise indeed. I think you are in the ballpark, I can feel a much higher grind & hone quality, one that you would normally associate with a thicker SE blade.

By that I mean you can feel the blade and make any adjustments for any areas instantly. Lovely it is truly lovely. Its nice to use a razor/blade combination that lets you know before you cut yourself rather than after. I figure it still has a couple left int it.
Yes, it has loads of control, just doesn't glide on your face quite so well as a modern PTFE-coated blades does. The GBE's would be the closest I have found with a similar 'feel' on the face while also having the glide. The Spoilers seem much better again.

From the inventor of the Thomas Method[SUP]®[/SUP] then I feel that is high praise indeed. I think you are in the ballpark, I can feel a much higher grind & hone quality, one that you would normally associate with a thicker SE blade.

Glad you approve RM.

Yes, it has loads of control, just doesn't glide on your face quite so well as a modern PTFE-coated blades does. The GBE's would be the closest I have found with a similar 'feel' on the face while also having the glide. The Spoilers seem much better again.

Good cause I got into the sale from Nick so it will be nice to compare,

Thought I would post my progress:

I got four shaves out of this blade:

Shave 1: ridiculously sharp, got heaps of nicks and weepers. Which I can deal with, but when I get a shave like that I usually end up with some rash or irritation, but not with this blade. It reminded me of my fist ever shave with a feather. All in all I was impressed and chalked it up to poor technique on my behalf.

Shave 2 + 3: Very very nice. Minor nicks, like usual. Smooth and sharp..... Really sharp. It was a nice 2 days.

Shave 4: Still a solid shave, but could feel it pulling on the lower neck, ended up with some minor irritation.

All in all I was really happy with this blade, I feel like I would grow accustom to the sharpness and would be a great blade.

Shave 5 - still going strong!

Hop to the Personna tomorrow then the Spolier, cycling back through them one shave at a time until one gives up.

Just got number 6 out of it. This will be the last as I want to keep the rest of its useful life as a cleanup blade when I return to te TM. In the meantime I still have some DE blades to try but I will return to normal programming on channel SOTD. Many many thanks to you RM for this opportunity.

Last edited:
OK, done 6 on these now and still going strong. I thought 6 would have been it but tomorrow will be number 7

Amazing longevity!

OK, done 6 on these now and still going strong. I thought 6 would have been it but tomorrow will be number 7

Amazing longevity!

After a couple of days with new Personna Labs I came back to this. 7 might be the number but still pretty good!

Last edited:
8 was about my useful limit. You could make it go longer but why should I when I have so many blades?

It was shave eight for me with the Schick this morning.

Still using the Slim on 7 with one of the usual rotation of soaps and brushes (P160 and vintage butterscotch Simpson)

The result was really comfortable and just as good as previously. Could I get nine? Maybe, i might try tomorrow or I might leave it here.

Overall a mighty fine blade. I think that this may even be my pick of the three but a whisker (LOL!) over the Spoiler

If I come across NOS cheap I will certainly grab them and I'll probably keep my eyes peeled for them...

Thanks again to RM for the try out.

How are the rest of you going?

Ended up doing shave nine with this today - still holding up pretty well but I've swapped it out for a new blade from tomorrow.

It really was fun while it lasted.

And so ends the journey. Seems like you got a good run out of them Mark.

Did a first with the Shick. Nice smooth shave as you would expect from a new blade. I'll be doing the comparo to the workhorse Shark. The latter ain't gonna last more than three of course but it'll give me a reference point.

First with the Shark. A bit rough I guess but a very close shave. Noisier but I quite like that.

Last edited:
Just did number 4 with the Shick alternating with a Shark to keep me grounded. Amazingly sharp and smooth still. In terms of longevity these "unobtanium" blades including the Shick are superior. There's a few more left in this one. I've just found I've got a Personna Super Stainless (is this the famed 74?) to try out next. The one downside of these blades is that you don't have to change blades that often. I'm missing my trusted SEs!!

Amazingly sharp and smooth still. In terms of longevity these "unobtanium" blades including the Shick are superior. There's a few more left in this one.
I find they shave superior too, keeping smooth and sharp and giving a great shave - pretty much as good as it gets with DEs.

I've just found I've got a Personna Super Stainless (is this the famed 74?) to try out next. The one downside of these blades is that you don't have to change blades that often. I'm missing my trusted SEs!!
Nope, not the famous '74 but similar grind and hone. I think you would be hard pressed to tell the difference in a double-blind test between the Personna Super Stainless and Shick Plus Platinum.

Number 5 and still as smooth as. This blade is the king of the unobtaniums as far as I'm concerned.

No 6 and doesn't feel like giving up. I'm really impressed with these.

I've got one in mine at the moment, about 4 shaves down and buttery smooth. Good sharpness without being ultra-sharp like the Spoilers on the first couple of shaves.

I also find that on the second day of growth, the whiskers feel more even or something. Certainly shorter than if I had used a modern blade.

Hmmm, so just for interest what would be a good price in these if somebody was struck down with RBAD?

The others too for completeness ...