Vintage Travelling Blade reviews: Schick Plus Platinum

Monsta_AU

...can I interest you in some vintage blades?
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Grand Society
This thread is for the review and discussion of the Schick Plus Platinum blades in our Vintage Travelling Blades PIF.

Please note that there will be a Zero-Tolerance for off topic posts in this thread. Your opening post in this thread should be your initial shave review - you are then free to discuss the blades and further shaves.

General discussion of the PIF should go in the PIF thread as linked above.

Last edited:
Standard test setup for me: Wash with bath soap, then face lather with Tabac and boar.
Loaded into gillette ss flare.
First shave on a new blade, so it had a sharp feel. It is a smoother blade than the "ultra chrome". This suits my face (and perhaps technique) better. I was thinking that it doesn't shave as close as the personna, but it did. As a first test I keep on going with extra passes for the closest result that the blade can give before irritation gets in the way. This blade is just frickin great. I was trying to compare it to the bleue as that has been the best blade for me, I don't know if there is much between them.
OT thoughts creep in "Why can't they just make new blades like this, it's just a stupid piece of sharpened steel"?
No nicks, no irritation and I'm as cleanly shaven as I think I can get.

RM has used the word "control" in the past. I think it is apt for this blade. I can do exactly what I want without jumps or bites and it just cuts my beard and not me.
The shame is availability.

First shave on a new blade, so it had a sharp feel. It is a smoother blade than the "ultra chrome". This suits my face (and perhaps technique) better. I was thinking that it doesn't shave as close as the personna, but it did. As a first test I keep on going with extra passes for the closest result that the blade can give before irritation gets in the way. This blade is just frickin great. I was trying to compare it to the bleue as that has been the best blade for me, I don't know if there is much between them.
Yeah, the smile on my face when I first loaded a Schick.... well you couldn't wipe it off my face with a rusty straight. I'm going to say the Spoiler is better, if only because it is more user friendly with the Teflon coating. I'd suggest that you run it next, even in a different razor.

My issue with vintage blades is that I want to get the most out of them, so every new blade always feels sharp and smooth as I tend to push the blade further than I normally would. The Personna is a sharp blade, but I think the Schick is probably that hair sharper, and the Spoiler that tiny bit sharper again.

There is also the question of technique and angle - I feel that I am getting better with these blades over time. The uncoated blades to require an adjustment to technique as they do not glide as well and it's a completely different sensation to what we are used to.

OT thoughts creep in "Why can't they just make new blades like this, it's just a stupid piece of sharpened steel"?
No nicks, no irritation and I'm as cleanly shaven as I think I can get.
Welcome to my brain. After the first Spoiler shave, I was thinking "you know, Gillette really need to put these back into production" but Lucifer will be skating to work before that corporate announcement.

RM has used the word "control" in the past. I think it is apt for this blade. I can do exactly what I want without jumps or bites and it just cuts my beard and not me.
The shame is availability.
I think all the older blades give control and feedback that surpasses anything current, and not by a small margin either. They don't bite when you get it wrong, but reward you immensely when you get it right. It feels good, satisfying and dare I say it, fulfilling. A good shave with a modern blade - even a Bleue - becomes an amazing shave with a quality vintage blade.

Saturday, used the #70 razor and I didn't like it as much. Sunday went with the ss and it's better but I still had some discomfort. Today, ss again, better. I think I must have irritated myself or the blade is going downhill quicker than expected. Will see tomorrow.

Used the ss again today, paying much attention to technique to avoid any further irritation. Good close shave. The first shave with this blade was fantastic and it may have made me a bit courageous in the following shaves closeness with the more aggressive razor. I think the personna was better at longevity in that it faded and became harsh, slower. Comparatively to the personna, whether it's the coating or something else, I feel this blade needs a slightly more aggressive razor to get the same closeness without extra touch ups.

Yesterday with the ss, a quick shave as I had no time, and I used a brushless cream from a tube called "lady tri shave".
Today back to standard setup and a late arvo shave. As the beard was a bit longer, I decided to use the #70 for a strict first pass, and ss for the rest. 7th shave on the razor and a pretty good one. It is getting duller but very usable, not so scratchy.

Last shave on this blade, the 8th, slower going and losing the close shave ability.

First on the Schick Not as impressed as I was with first on the Personna I cant really put my finger on it as the shave result was very smooth. It just didnt feel like my kind of blade. For reference I am using all these blades in my Slim set at 7. It will be interesting to see how many I get out of it.

Second shave on this blade. I am not too sure what is going on with it. The shave I get is extremely smooth (or at least the face is aftrewards) but somehow the blade just doesnt feel right. Maybe its the razor, maybe the technique but it definetly doesnt feel as "nice" as the Personna did. I am tempted to take it out and use it as a second blade when I return to TM shaving as I feel it would be excellent,
Still I will push on for at least one more as it may get better with age.

That 'nice' feeling during the shave that you feel it lacks is the lack of coating to help it glide. It is definitely a massive difference to get used to, but the results afterward speak for themselves.

That 'nice' feeling during the shave that you feel it lacks is the lack of coating to help it glide. It is definitely a massive difference to get used to, but the results afterward speak for themselves.

Thank you RM I will continue with it and go only by results not "nice" feelings.

I finally got around to using one of the vintage blades this morning - it was the Shick first up.

Usual routine using T&H 1805 cream and my birth year L 1 Slim on 6. I figured that the Slim suited the era of these blades.

The first pass was not good. I put that down to the adjustment to the Slim having not used it for a while, the second pass was a lot better.

Usual 2 1/2 pass shave. No nicks or cuts, smooth result. Even now at 7:30 pm it is only just feeling scritchy with the grain - an indication of a good close shave this morning.

Finished off with 1805 aftershave and no particular irritation noticed - this is a good blade on the first use.

Day Two with the Shick.

Usual routine using Cella soap and my birth year L 1 Slim on 6.

The first pass was fine - suggesting the issues of the first pass yesterday where down to the adjustment to the Slim having, not used it for a while.

Usual 2 1/2 pass shave. No nicks or cuts, smooth result. Move on people, nothing to see here but a good blade at work.

Finished off with Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve aftershave and no particular irritation noticed - this is a good blade.

Did you note any different sensations during the shave Mark?

Did you note any different sensations during the shave Mark?

I know the answer should be Yes but the best I can honestly say is not that I can recall ...

Well well who'd a thunk it - Third shave with the Schick - 5 day growth and it was one very slick schick. Definetely better than the third shave with th Personna - Lathered up with some Tabac and let it settle for a few moments and away I went. After the first couple of strokes I gave up awaiting the tugging sensation and just slashed away at the undergrowth. I am impressed an blade better at its third shave than its second. Maybe I have found the magic razor blade that keeps on improving with each shave until eventually I will just have to wave in the air near my face and the whiskers will fall trembling into the sink! The again maybe its just I am not looking for somethinfg that isnt there the "niceness" as RM kindly pointed out a few posts ago. Anyway I have high hope for this one getting passed the four shave barrier with consumate ease.

It takes a bit to get used to them GT. They certainly shave differently to modern blades, and once you get used to them going back to modern blades feels a somewhat of a letdown.

Glad they are working for you, and yes I think faster movements keeps the blade gliding better. A bit of speed is the key. A slow drag will give a great result but feel terrible.

Shave number four with this blade and it just keeps on giving. Had a 6 day growth and after a lather up with Arko it simply sliced through the beard. No gripping or tugging and where it had been was smooth indeed. No sign of it dulling, but maybe it goes off all of a sudden. Much prefer this to the Personna.

Did shaves 3 and 4 with this after a shave with the current generation Labs.

Still going strong with good results.

Trying the Personna again tomorrow for shave 4 after a day off using a cart while travelling.

Last edited:
Shave five with a 2 day stubble to handle - whiskers more bristley rather than the five or six day hairy. Again with the Arko and Slim set to 7 and I have finally worked out why I like this blade so much.
At least in the combination I use it feels a lot like an SE (forgive me RM). By that I mean you can feel the blade and make any adjustments for any areas instantly. Lovely it is truly lovely. Its nice to use a razor/blade combination that lets you know before you cut yourself rather than after. I figure it still has a couple left int it.