Shave of the Day Thread - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need a new category beyond DFS++, BBS and @Gargravarr's Dolphin Butt Smooth something in the dermabrasion category for the Streamline, R41 and other ultra efficient and aggressive razors :)
Could have stopped at a single pass WTG and still achieved BBS, 2nd pass was with a very light touch and forced riding of the flat cap but still received audible feedback from the blade
Best blade feel and feedback from any non-str8 razor but might skip it for a few days to give the top few layers of skin a chance to recover before attempting again :eek:

Hec7LvS.jpg

Pre-shave:- Shower
Brush:- SMILEZ4MILEZ Honeycomb with Declaration Grooming B3 26mm knot
Razor:- Eveready Streamline (generously provided by @Sticky)
Soap/Aftershave:- Gingers Garden - Old Dominion
Blade:- Gem PTFE (1)

I can't blame Shane completely on this as I feel like Schick seems to have some issues with their manufacturing and churn out some blades with different tolerances every now and again but maybe its something many people do not notice as they use the blades for different razors altogether.
I have one cartridge of Schicks because that is all I could afford and I just tested one on my Vector and no luck. :(
Yeah, its a combination of both Shane tightening specifications on 2nd gen and Schick QC issues because some Schick's will fit 2nd Gen Vector without problems

We need a new category beyond DFS++, BBS and @Gargravarr's Dolphin Butt Smooth something in the dermabrasion category for the Streamline, R41 and other ultra efficient and aggressive razors :)
Could have stopped at a single pass WTG and still achieved BBS, 2nd pass was with a very light touch and forced riding of the flat cap but still received audible feedback from the blade
Best blade feel and feedback from any non-str8 razor but might skip it for a few days to give the top few layers of skin a chance to recover before attempting again :eek:

Hec7LvS.jpg

Razor:- Eveready Streamline (generously provided by @Sticky)
Soap/Aftershave:- Gingers Garden - Old Dominion
Blade:- Gem PTFE (1)
Well I told you it Was like a Micromatic OC with a little extra weight. I get a very smooth close shave with mine, I see you are using a fresh blade, that can be a little rough. I usually hand strop a fresh blade or use it in a milder razor. Once you have perfected the technique you are going to love it.

Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Stirling Finest Badger 26/54mm bulb knot
Soap/Cream:- Stirling Soap Co ~ Piacenza
Razor/Blade:- Blackland Vector SB Matted Finished / Schick Proline P-30 #6
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- L'eau D'issey Pour Homme

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: @Tony Forsyth P&C LE Platypus Shaving Brush
Soap/Cream: SV 70th Anniversary shaving soap
Razor: Mühle Birchbark Rocca
Blade: Feather New Hi Stainless (4)
Post-shave: APR Acqua di Sydney splash
Fragrance: Giorgio Armani Acqua di Gio

No idea what I was doing, didn't change blade, did only one pass before cleaning up, where was my head this morning?

4x03ddll.jpg

1.png

Pre-shave: Hot flannel, Pears soap
Brush: CaYuen "Copper Ore" DScosmetic G7
Soap: Mystic Water - Jeff's Lavender
Razor: Yaqi Excalibur/Raster V3 - thanks @thatguy (y)
Blade: Schick Proline
Post-shave: Shower, Castle Forbes Lavender balm, homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+, Oxford & Cambridge cologne
COTD: Mocha Ismaili, Yemen

Impressions of the Yaqi Excalibur/Raster

You may recall that a while ago, I sent out my Claymore for a bit of a road trip for interested members to try out. Along the way, @thatguy generously included a surplus Yaqi Excalibur/Raster (I think the name depends on who's doing the marketing) for the ride to eventually end up in my den, where for some reason it's sat idle until this morning.

Since I first read of this razor as a Vector clone, I figure I might as well offer up my impressions for what they're worth...

First off, this little fella is super-light, a full 10g lighter than the Vector according to my kitchen scales. The razor has a pleasant satin finish, the long handle comparatively plain with a somewhat unappealing (to me) waist at ⅔ of its length, but which nevertheless affords a comfortable, positive grip. The head shares the cutaway threaded post feature with the Vector, with rather more screw thread, which IMO is a Good Thing(TM). But with that, any similarity to the Vector ends.

The head is clearly moulded (apparently the V2 is machined), and the fit between cap and baseplate is sloppy enough that I had to be just a bit careful to get the blade aligned properly. That done, the first thing I noticed once I started shaving is that there's much more blade feel with the Yaqi razor, and there's a rather narrower sweet spot for blade angle. But then the Vector is unusually forgiving in that it'll shave at almost any angle. Interestingly, the extra blade feel of the Raster didn't translate to more efficiency, and I'm not really sure why that should be. Overall comfort of the shave was excellent though, and I ended up with a perfect, easy and blood-free BBS.

Overall, I'd say that anyone interested in AC razors could definitely do worse than giving this one a try. At just $39.95 from The Wet Shaving Co, it's great value. I'm going to give this one another run sometime this week before I offer it up as a PIF.
Great summation of the Yaqi Raster and reflects my own opinions on the razor, a relatively smooth shave from an inexpensive AC razor with a sloppy blade fitting. The proposed new machined version has not see light of day and from the prototype pics I saw it was a different (bigger) head all together. Then V3 came out and to me it's the same as the original with very little changes, maybe a slight fit improvement.

Nivea Men Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Nivea Deep Comfort
Get rid of this sh 💩 t, start using my famous aftershave recipes and your skin will love you...... Don't believe me, asked the guys, because, they love me 😚

T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)

Get rid of this sh 💩 t, start using my famous aftershave recipes and your skin will love you...... Don't believe me, asked the guys, because, they love me 😚

T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)

You should post a thread with the recipe, pictures and instructions :)

The Aftershaves sub-forum is crying out to content!

1.png

Brush: Forgotten Art "Tarkine" Ω piggy-wig
Razor: Blackland Sabre
Blade: GEM Stainless
Post-shave: Shower, Castle Forbes Lavender balm, homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+, Oxford & Cambridge cologne

I keep hoping to get some nice split ends in this boar knot, but it's putting up a fight. I'll get there in the end, I just have to spend more time with it. In the meantime, I have a last-minute New Year's Eve order for a Turn n' Shave gelled Shoat knot on its way, I hope. I just haven't made up my mind whether to use that in this handle or my Forgotten Art "Macchiato". Either way, I'm going to make this pig softer than a fairy's bottom, whatever it takes. :D

I keep hoping to get some nice split ends in this boar knot, but it's putting up a fight. I'll get there in the end, I just have to spend more time with it. In the meantime, I have a last-minute New Year's Eve order for a Turn n' Shave gelled Shoat knot on its way, I hope. I just haven't made up my mind whether to use that in this handle or my Forgotten Art "Macchiato". Either way, I'm going to make this pig softer than a fairy's bottom, whatever it takes.
If there was a hair dryer in the house I would try @TomG's method

oj5tSGh.jpg

Razor:- Featherweight, Gem USA (another generously provided by @Sticky)
Soap/Aftershave:- Declaration Grooming - Fake Yellow Light
Blade:- Gem PTFE (2)

it's that time of the year when the skin is hyper sensitive and just lathering starts to irritate which means I have delayed cutover too long and time to break out the Jermyn Street, Proraso White and milder razors. Vintage SE and some recent DE acquisitions may have to wait a few months

1.png

Brush: Forgotten Art "Tarkine" Ω piggy-wig
Razor: Blackland Sabre
Blade: GEM Stainless

I keep hoping to get some nice split ends in this boar knot, but it's putting up a fight. I'll get there in the end, I just have to spend more time with it. In the meantime, I have a last-minute New Year's Eve order for a Turn n' Shave gelled Shoat knot on its way, I hope. I just haven't made up my mind whether to use that in this handle or my Forgotten Art "Macchiato". Either way, I'm going to make this pig softer than a fairy's bottom, whatever it takes. :D

It sounds like you've tried a lot of things. Have you possibly tried to load your brush from a bar of cheap pears glycerin soap and then palm lathering it a few times a week. I guess its a bit of work and could be annoying but it might work.
I would probably leave some soap on it for a bit and let it soak in and then rinse it out in cold water after 30mins, following it up by shaking out the water and then rub it dry against a dry towel.
All this is speculative though. I suppose it is as close to simulating a shave without actually shaving more than anything else but whether or not one would actually bother going to those lengths I am not sure. I do recall using my Semogue as a shampoo brush in the shower for a long while to try break it in. :ROFLMAO:

It's definitely a neat looking brush. I used a boar brush for my last shave and it never fails to impress. I think you have inspired me to use another boar brush for my next shave. (y)

Last edited:
Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: @Tony Forsyth P&C LE Platypus Shaving Brush
Soap/Cream: APR Fougere Bourbon Rose shaving soap
Razor: Mühle Birchbark Rocca
Blade: Personna 'Lab Blue' (1)
Post-shave: APR Fougere Bourbon Rose splash
Fragrance: N/A

Better

30J8bYFl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.