Shave of the Day Thread - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vic0A76.jpg

Had a couple of less than amazing rushed shaves over the last week so it was nice to take my time today, and I was rewarded with a great result. First use of the Polsilver Stainless and I liked it.

YElUgwB.jpg

Thursday‌ ‌10.01.20 ‌SOTD‌
Taylor‌ ‌of‌ ‌Old‌ ‌Bond‌ ‌Street‌ ‌Sandalwood‌ ‌Pre‌ ‌Shave‌ ‌Oil‌
Gillette '40s Brit Fat Handle Flat Bottom Tech #77 Set
NOS Wlkinson Sword made in England
Semogue‌ ‌Owners‌ ‌Club‌ ‌Cherry‌ ‌Wood‌ ‌Boar‌
Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Shaving Cream
Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Aftershave

Soap: Noble Otter Two Kings
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Feather Pro (1)
Scuttle: Captain's Choice "Tempest"
Brush: Forgotten Art "Tarkine" 26mm Tuxedo

First time with the new razor. Much milder shave than I'm used to, but quite efficient. I've got a few different blades to try, but I have a suspicion I'm going to end up with the Pro Super as my default...
That's interesting. That's exactly what I was expecting from reviews I'd read of the Vector before purchasing one, that it was quite mild, so I expected I would end up using Feather Pro Supers with it. To my surprise I've pretty much settled on the Kai Captain Mild blade for the Vector. I still use the Supers regularly in my Colonial General and SS Hawk.

Tony Forsyth Custom Carbon Black/Black Holographic Tuxedo Synthetic 28mm (2020 P&C Charity Auction)
DR Harris Arlington
Rockwell 6s (R6)
Feather (3)
Lucky Tiger aftershave and face tonic
Allume Di Rocca Naturale
What is the Lucky Tiger like? I’ve been tempted to get a bottle for ages now but never done it. Definitely good value but how does it feel and smell?

Lucky tiger face tonic is great. (y)(y)

Nice light sweet orange scent that works well with any of your orangey, bergamot, citrus type scented soaps. I have quite a few bergamot citrus type scented soaps and this works perfect with them all. No need to spend money on expensive matching splashes or toners.

Date:- 01 October 2020

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- WCS Two-Tone Tall (Blue & White) Extra Dense Synth. 26/56mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Ariana & Evans ~ Kaizen
Razor/Blade:- Merkur 34C / Gillette Rubie #1
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20 drops) & Tea Tree Antiseptic (5)

The Gillette Rubie feels a bit harsh straight away when using the blade for the first time into the 34C, Gillette Rubie is not very smooth against the Gillette Nacet and would say somewhere between mid-smooth and smooth in that range. The Gillette Rubie feels somewhere near Astra SP (green) or Treet Platinum (orange & white)

I'm going to shave again tomorrow with the Gillette Rubie with the 34C, hopefully, the harsh blade feels should smoothen out the edge again tomorrow night shaves. Looking forwards to see how far I can push the Gillette Rubie blade to the maximum.

Last edited:
That's interesting. That's exactly what I was expecting from reviews I'd read of the Vector before purchasing one, that it was quite mild, so I expected I would end up using Feather Pro Supers with it. To my surprise I've pretty much settled on the Kai Captain Mild blade for the Vector. I still use the Supers regularly in my Colonial General and SS Hawk.
OK, food for thought there. I've had several looks at Kai Captain Mild, but they seem to be troublesome to obtain. Just last night I saw an Amazon seller mentioning ~$23 for 20 blades, but as soon as I signed in (thereby registering that I'm buying from Australia) the price jumped to over $60, so needless to say I bailed out at that point. If I had a blade to try first, I might consider buying in a bunch from Japan, but I don't much care for being gouged.

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Rooney shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Squadron Soaps Tim Keech Memorial Auction shaving soap
Razor: Vintage Gillette L1 "Slim" replated in rhodium (6)
Blade: Vintage Gillette Super Stainless (5)
Post-shave: Squadron Soaps Tim Keech Memorial Auction splash
Fragrance: N/A

eKRhbUBl.jpg

IMG-20201001-172052.jpg

Brush: Proraso (Omeag) boar
Razor: Blackland Dart
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridiums (7)
Soap: Tabula Rasa Dezember
Pre: Shower + PAA Prickly Pear mentholated pre-shave soap
Post: Old Spice splash // Stirling Soap Co. Unscented Balm
WTG, XTG, ATG = BBS

Its too early to tell but looks like Wizamets have replaced Gillette Rubies as my go-to blade for this DE...:unsure:
Last shave of the week so happy (long) weekend!

W2Yw7Kv.jpg

Mining Camp Shave

Prep: B&M Reserve Cool Soap , Alt Innsbruck Emulsion
Brush: Shavemac 3-band Silvertip Badger
Cream: Musgo Real Spiced Citrus
Razor: Merkur Futur (2)
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium (1)
Scent: DR Harris Arlington

That was right up there amongst the best travel shaves I have experienced - wonderful!

GCXCH5k.jpg

Pre-shave:- Warm shower
Bowl:- Fine Accroutrements with mods
Brush:- Yaqi Moka Express with Mew Brown knot
Soap/Cream:- Squadron Sweetheart
Razor/Blade:- Yintal Bronze / Personna Israeli Red (1)
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent plus Glycerin (20 drops) & Tea Tree Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- Jovan Musk

The Yintal and Personna were a great combination, best $17 I ever spent on a razor! The added agitators in the bowl certainly help to whip up a quick lather; not that the Squadron soap needs much assistance. Excellent shave! Going away for a few days and the Yintal will accompany me as my designated travel razor.

2mEXI7l.jpg

Friday‌ ‌10.02.20 ‌SOTD‌
I‌ ‌Provenzali‌ ‌Olive‌ ‌Oil‌ ‌Artisan‌ ‌Bar‌ ‌Soap‌

‌Gillette ‘48 Aristocrat set
Gillette‌ 7 O'clock SharpEdge Yellow
WCS Two-Tone Tall 26mm Synthetic BOSS Knot
Barrister‌ ‌and‌ ‌Mann‌ ‌Cheshire‌ ‌Shaving‌ ‌Soap‌
Barrister‌ ‌And‌ ‌Mann‌ Cheshire‌ ‌Aftershave‌

Status
Not open for further replies.