Razor:- 5/8 J. Dobie & Co Glasgow
Aftershave:- Myrsol Formula K

Date:- 02 October 2020

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- WCS Two-Tone Tall (Blue & White) Extra Dense Synth. 26/56mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Mike’s Natural ~ Bay Rum
Razor/Blade:- Merkur 34C / Gillette Rubie #2
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20 drops) & Tea Tree Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- Davidoff Cool Water

The Gillette Rubie feels much better without the harsh feel from the blade when first used, this blade feels very comfortable into the 34C level aggression razor for an everyday shave. The Rubie has surprised me without any irritation, razor burns and not even a single bloody nick anywhere on my face, the smoothening of the blade is a step up towards mid-high smooth level without the harsh blade feel when first used as YMMV.

I have no doubt straight away the Gillette Rubie is above the GSB, this is where I place the Gillette Rubie at this level into my blade logbook see bold in red. Remember YMMV because everybody is different.

Feather Hi-Stainless <---- Very very sharp
Kai Stainless
Gillette Nacet
Vintage NOS Schick Plus Platinum
Vintage NOS Gillette Bleue Extra
Gillette Stainless (red & white)
Polsilver Super Iridium & Wizamet Super Iridium (both are the same blade)
Gillette 7 O'Clock Black Super Platinum
Gillette Platinum
Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge (yellow)
Wizamet Polsilver Brown Stainless
Gillette Rubie
Gillette Silver Blue
Astra Superior Stainless
Vintage NOS England Wilkinson Sword
Treet Platinum (orange & white)
Astra Superior Platinum <------ Middle of the road for an everyday shave
Vintage US Gillette Super Stainless (spoiler)
Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless (green)
Perma-Sharp Super
German Wilkinson
ASCO Super Stainless (orange)
Parker Premium Platinum
Rapira Platinum Lux
Rapira Super Stainless
Rapira Swedish Super Steel
Ladas Super Stainless
Rockwell Swedish Stainless
Gillette Sputnik
Voskhod <---- This is the low level, not the lowest crap blade

Last edited:
RTKvpki.jpg

Saturday‌ ‌10.03.20 ‌SOTD‌
I‌ ‌Provenzali‌ ‌Olive‌ ‌Oil‌ ‌Artisan‌ ‌Bar‌ ‌Soap‌
Gillette ‘53 British Aristocrat Junior Aluminum
NOS Wlkinson Sword made in England
Yaqi R1605-S Resin Tuxedo
Barrister's Reserve Spice Shaving Soap
Barrister's Reserve Spice Aftershave Splash

Date:- 03 October 2020

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Maseto 'Avatar' Tuxedo Synth. 26/54mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Whispers from the Woods (Australian made) ~ All Things Nice "Spiced Sandalwood & Honey"
Razor/Blade:- Karve CB Brass 'SB-C' / Vintage Gillette US Spoiler #1
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20 drops) & Tea Tree Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- Davidoff Cool Water

#Str8ShavSatday

Pre-shave: Shower/Proraso Green
Brush: DC Blades custom P&C TKM 2020 hand turned resin brush handle with 24mm silver tip badger bulb knot
Soap:- Proraso Green
Str8:- DC Blades 8/8” P&C TKM 2020 straight razor custom resin wedgeless scales, brass bullseye washers & pins.
Aftershave:- Proraso Green

G8eLXb2.jpg
LK91Bde.gif

Razor: Gillette Slim Adjustable L3 (setting 6)
Blade: Astra Superior Stainless (1st use)
Brush: Beard & Blade synthetic
Soap: Noble Otter | Thé Noir et Vanille
Post shave: Thayers unscented witchhazel > Thé Noir et Vanille splash > TSW After Balm

Beverage of choice: Skim Latte w/ extra shot 😀

A78-F5-E06-5995-4146-970-A-F8-C220-B45395.jpg

Wonderful relaxed shave this morning. The Slim on setting six was perfect and I definitely consider this a BBS result. Was at risk of over-shaving on the final ATG pass but pulled myself up before causing any needless irritation.

Loving this second hand soap from @tim33z! Will definitely grab a few more offerings from NO when more stock becomes available.

Happy shaves all!

Soap: Noble Otter Hamami
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Feather Pro (4)
Scuttle: Captain's Choice "Tempest"
Brush: Forgotten Art "Tarkine" 26mm Tuxedo

I'm not going to recycle my pictures, but just remark that I'm a bit disappointed that the Feather Pro left me with a bit of a rough shave today, and was tugging from the start. I was hoping to stretch it to a full week, but that's not going to happen. The Vector is a very mild and forgiving razor, and I think it might be nearly impossible to cut myself with it, but that doesn't stop the blade leaving my skin in a bit of a rough state after doing quite a lot of buffing to get face and head to a close enough shave.

I had planned on switching to a Proline next, but I'm going to change the plan and go straight to a Pro Super, to see if I can cut down on the buffing.

28/098/2020 & 29/09/2020
IMG-20200928-191921.jpg

Brush: TF Customs Chameleon Malle Burl & Holographic 30mm Rhodium Silvertip
Razor: Timeless Bronze SB
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridiums (4)
Soap: Pereira Shavery Shaving Soap with Activated Charcoal
Pre: Shower + PAA Prickly Pear mentholated pre-shave soap
Post: Mr Royal cologne // Stirling Soap Co. Unscented Balm
ATG, XTG, WTG = DFS+

A really enjoyable shave with this setup that I had to use it twice... Happy shaves!

That razor looks amazing, had my eye on getting in past week or two, how would you rate the shave in efficiency? Was looking at getting a mild razor but with efficiency better that a de89..

the Feather Pro left me with a bit of a rough shave today, and was tugging from the start. I was hoping to stretch it to a full week, but that's not going to happen.

So I’m just wondering, given you only have a single edge to work with, is 3 shaves on a feather pro equivalent to ~6 shaves on a regular DE blade? That would kind of make sense to me but I have zero experience using single edged razors.

I have gotten 7 good shaves from a Feather DE before, but my general rule of thumb is to not push past 5 uses. By my maths, 3 shaves on a Feather Pro = 6 shaves on a DE. So perhaps 3 decent shaves is all you can Consistently expect from a single edge?🤷‍♂️

That razor looks amazing, had my eye on getting in past week or two, how would you rate the shave in efficiency? Was looking at getting a mild razor but with efficiency better that a de89..
Hey @StratMan cheers for the compliment. There's plenty to like about the bronze as its a well crafted DE with a narrower head than the SS/TI versions and the heavy handle really adds to the shave experience. As for efficiency - I find the SB plate is mild enough to be a daily shaver if you have slow growth and smooth when paired with a variety of blades.
I also have the OC plate and convinced @Pbgoose to try it out and he uses it regularly but I find the step up in blade gap on par with the R41 so tend to bring it out for those odd shaves when I've skipped a few days growth and it mows down my sandpaper stubble with ease!
In all honesty mate its quite a step up in $$$ compared with a DE89 and result wise they're quite similar but if you're a nutter like me who loves things shiny then I suggest you try the OC as its similar to what you already use and I'm sure @Pbgoose can add his view... (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.