Shave of the Day Thread - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Vintage, butterscotch Simpson shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Australian Private Reserve (APR) General Ledger shaving soap
Razor: Vintage L 1 Gillette 'Slim" adjustable (5)
Blade: Personna 'Lab Blue' (1)
Post-shave: Australian Private Reserve (APR) General Ledger splash
Fragrance: Australian Private Reserve (APR) General Ledger EDP

Started our with an Aussie Spoiler that was part of a bundle unwrapped in a box - not sure what the story was but swapped out after one pass and ditched the lot of them. The tried and trusted Lab Blues provided a great shave with this magnificent soap / splash / scent.

Happy days!

b9bVkVKl.jpg

You still happy with the performance on the older P&Bs?
Yeah, I've always been a fan of the P&B. Not quite same level as some of the newer players, but we're not talking material difference that makes shaves bad. Still get fantastic results and the scent on this one is quite unique, so more than happy to feature this one in regular rotation :)

Firstly a very quick update on yesterday’s shave and in particular the splash from @SchoolForAnts Squadron Soaps Group Captains Blend. I’ve never had the scent from a splash longer so long that I could smell it in the shower this morning! 24 hours of smelling amazing! It’s such a top fragrance and a shame that it seems to be no longer being produced, there is soap available but I’d almost kill to get a bottle of the GCB splash...

Now to today’s shave...

Ku90muXl.jpg

Travelling samples box shave:

I knew how this soap was going to perform having owned several of the F2 base APR soaps, but had never tried the Fenchurch up until now. It’s a fantastic winter scent with some similarities to both Ozymandias and Skye Fall (to my nose).

If you’re looking for a top scent that gets rave reviews, not only here but worldwide, think Ruds Shaves YouTube’s channel, then you should own some of this!

I guess I’d better make a mention of the razor too huh?

This is one super smooth razor that I firmly believe felt even smoother than the brass Karve version. The thing is beautiful and having the handle 1/4” longer is probably better for me too. This was an epic shave all round!

congrats on your SS Karve mate.. glad your enjoying it!!

IMG-20190724-171212.jpg

Brush: PAA Atomic Rocket
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (1)
Razor: iKon SBS + OSS handle
Bowl: Fine Lather bowl
Soap: Squadron Soaps Scramble!
Pre: Shower

Hard to choose which Squadron Soap to use as they're all grand but something about Scramble makes it an absolute hit :love: Happy shaves! :cool:

Pre: Hot towel, Pre shave oil (Nico's home brew)
Razor: Timeless, S/S, 0.68 Scalloped base plate
Blade: Feather
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk2
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Fenchurch

Brush: Vintage, butterscotch Culmak shaving brush
Blade: Personna 'Lab Blue' (2)

Great shave = Happy day!

b9bVkVKl.jpg

Great shave = Happy day!

b9bVkVKl.jpg
Odd looking Lab Blue...

12hkkZNl.jpg

Travelling samples box shave:

A soap I have had an eye on for a while is the Phoenix & Beau. Was glad to see a sample of this in he travel box in a scent I quite enjoy. The performance was quite good. Slickness was excellent for the blade and even residual slickness for multiple swipes was great!

I’ve seen plenty of talk about Ogallala in fora but never looked into them in any depth, so since this paired well with the Imperial Rum soap, I gave it a run. Firstly I had zero burn from any alcohol so this led me to research and find if it did have alcohol. Well it does, but no burn was kinda refreshing, not that I dislike the sting, but this was almost like a Thayers toner on application. The scent is unlikely to hang around for too long but there is very good face feel which may be due to the soaps post shave properties.

In a nutshell: I’d grab both of these items in the future, though the Ogallala will be tougher to source.

Odd looking Lab Blue...

Well if you had been following along with yesterday's SOTD ...

"Started our with an Aussie Spoiler that was part of a bundle unwrapped in a box - not sure what the story was but swapped out after one pass and ditched the lot of them. The tried and trusted Lab Blues provided a great shave with this magnificent soap / splash / scent."

Went for a R41 Head + Timeless Barberpole Handle combo, weighing in at total of 122g. An increase of 24g certainly added to the efficiency of the shave.

Pre: Hot Shower
Razor: Muhle R41 + Timeless Barbershop Handle
Blade: Polsilver SI (3)
Brush: Yaqi Silvertip Badger
Soap: Mikes Natural Soap – Lime

48368271527_9e37079b1d_b.jpg

Great shave = Happy day!

b9bVkVKl.jpg
Have you been drinking with the bloody politician again Mr Lab Blue and where’s my Tax’s return you promised me

kRh55LGl.jpg

Pre: Pb PSE
Soap: Wolfpac - Silk Road
Brush: SOC Cherry Boar
Razor: Rocnel Elite
Blade: BIC (1)
AS: Pb Bay/Lime
The BIC pairs really well with this razor.

The solar 'panuels' (as my daughter called them and now forever are known as) have been operational for a couple of weeks now pumping out approx. 33kw Hrs on these sunny days. The solar analytics app that goes with the smart inverters are great to be able to monitor system performance and see where major consumption loads are. Looks like it might be worth installing another heat pump HWS to shift some load back into the solar window.

Nice!
I always wanted solar power but living in a flat, it isn't possible for me :(

Pre: Hot towel, Pre shave oil (Nico's home brew)
Razor: RazoRock Game Changer with .84 head & Barber pole handle
Blade: Feather
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk2
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: RazoRock Blue Barbershop

Nice!
I always wanted solar power but living in a flat, it isn't possible for me :(
You guys probably don't use that much electricity anyway? What are electricity prices like in India?
We burn through it at a great rate so solar panels are a great way for us to reduce our power bills. A ground installation is dearer which will drag out the pay back period but it should still be reasonable.

IMG-20190725-194023.jpg

Brush: PAA Atomic Rocket
Blade: Gillette Nacet (3)
Razor: RR Baby Smooth Al
Bowl: Fine Lather bowl
Soap: APR Fenchurch
Pre: Shower

MARVELLOUS! :love:

Status
Not open for further replies.