Shave of the Day Thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feather AC DX non folding
Feather AC pro blade (6)
Shaver Heaven "Juicy Froot" Tallow v3
P&C Platypus 26mm fan brush
Re-lather and rinse

Another lovely 3 pass BBS with my knife and no damage. The blade is right in the sweet spot now for this sort of thing. A great lather from this soap and brush today...

Agreed. Although its an EJ89 clone, the Maggard V3 definitely has some bite. It shaves nothing like an EJ89/R89. During the first few uses, it was giving me the odd weeper on the first WTG pass. It's easy to misjudge it thinking it's a mild razor, which can result in weepers. It took me 13 shaves with this razor till I finally experienced a very good shave, therefore it can be dialed-in. Is it daily shaver ? Not for me it isn't, but it might be for others. There's also some razor blade play when loading it and considering the amount of exposure, it's best to double-check and manually align it if needed. Contrary to what most would believe, I found the Maggard Slant to be more mild than the V3 and it provided much smoother shaves. Give the V3 another shot down the track and persevere with it for a little longer - try a shallower angle with a very gentle touch (ride the cap a little more by raising the handle a little higher). The great thing about purchasing these items from Maggard is that they really don't cost much - with their economy shipping and first-class service, you really can't lose :)
@Volare Thanks for the detailed reply. I will definitely perceiver with the V3 and here's hoping it doesn't take as many shaves as you had to find whats right for me ;) I enjoyed my shave with both the slant and open comb, so much so that I have added them to my regular rotation. Just need to get me a few more Maggard handles and I'm ready to go :) Happy shaves!

IMG_20171222_124709-01.jpg

First try with the Fat Handled Tech with ultra smooth Gillette Stainless blades to boot. Mmmm. Lovely smooth and gentle shave that destroyed almost all hair in 3 easy passes without a wiff of a weeper. Because my neck only gives up all the hair to the most violent of razors, this is a DFS rather than BBS but that's good enough for me considering how easy it was. Plus I get to shave tomorrow too!

I also smell like a god.

Last edited:
nEFKXQb.jpg

Pre-Shave: SebaMed, cold water
Razor: Guerrilla
Blade: Ladas (1)
Brush: Doug Korn D7V
Lather: Stirling Bergamot Lavender
Post-Shave: Alum, Stirling Bay Laurel Witch Hazel, Australian Emu Oil​

Four days worth of growth and the Guerrilla just mowed through it - what a fantastic razor and becoming more and more a favourite of mine.

After more than a month of Mike's, it was time for a change - and the Stirling lather was sensational.

I hope you all have a fantastic Friday (y)

IMG_0004.jpg

Brush: Proraso
Razor: RazorRock Mamba
Blade: Super Max
Soap: Grooming Dept. After the Fire Sample

A lovely BBS shave with the Mamba and a sample soap I received from TSW. Super smooth and efficient with no nicks :) I'm really loving the ease of use and the fact it's more on the milder side means I can use it each day trouble free. Finished up with a warm shower and some Teat Tree cream to moisturise the skin. Happy shaves ;)

I'm envious of the cooler weather, the time of the year where Agarwood, Sandalo and Tobacco have their place, they seat so well with the AdP fragrances too.

I also picked up the AdP Oud set and the Santa Maria Novella Tobacco Toscano that I can't wait to use come the Autumn. Oh and also a couple of new AP Reserve Winter fragrances, all going well I will shoot you a couple of samples of them out shortly as you are in the perfect weather to give them a run.

That would be fantastic, thank you. All 4 Autumn and Winter lines sound amazing and right up my street. Would you like to try some of my home made facial toner in Leather Oud and Oud Ispahan for your upcoming Autumn and Winter in return?
One of the advantages of a temperate climate and a Summer that lasts 2 weeks I suppose is that I can wear my favourite types for a longer period of time. It’s not unusual for it to snow in Spring where I live.

i6DjdYx.jpg

Guerlain Les Delices De Bain
Vitos Super Cocco
Antica Barbieria Colla Boar
Mühle Rocca R95 - Feather
Christian Dior Privée Leather Oud

The second shave with a feather in the Rocca confirms that this is the blade for me in this razor, exceptionally efficient and smooth 2 pass BBS WTG-ATG. The Vitos doing what it does best, just a great Italian cheap no nonesense no fuss soap lacking in absolutely nothing but scent, a beautiful lather whipped up by my favourite brush. I went with a fragrance befitting the quality of the shave. The leathery animalic king of my ‘den’ at the moment, Christian Dior La Collection Privée Leather Oud.

Razor: Vintage Gillette NEW head on TSW Bren handle
Blade: Vintage British made Wilkinson Sword 'Premium Chromium' (3)
Brush: P&C (Tony Forsyth) LE 2017 24mm bulb Platypus shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Officina Profumo - Farmaceutica di Santa Maria Novella Firenze, Crema da Barba
Aftershave: Officina Profumo - Farmaceutica di Santa Maria Novella Firenze, Lozione dopo Barba - Tabacco Toscano
Cologne: Miller Harris feuilles de tabac EDP

You gotta bring some game if you are wanting to play in this thread at the moment!

Some lovely shaves (and photos) above (y)

Last edited:
Some lovely shaves (and photos) above (y)

Lovely text composition in your post @Mark1966, the use of italics and spacing was just superb and your intonation was excellent!

What kind of keyboard do you use for your posts ? ...I run a Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry Blues and custom caps myself.

38517883554_1aa80ab7ac_c.jpg

Soap: B&M Seville
Brush: Omega 10019 Boar
Razor: Asylum Rx
Blade: Feather Pro (maybe 6 and maybe time to move on)
AS: B&M Seville
@alfredus - I love the idea that you use your wife's art work for background of your SOTD shots. I always enjoy them. Inspired me to use my wife's work as background (gets her more interested in what I'm doing as well).:)
Nice shave off the Asylum this morning (albeit with a couple of minor weepers). I'm thinking move the blade on before I get irritation, I only get 7 uses at best anyway.

Lovely text composition in your post @Mark1966, the use of italics and spacing was just superb and your intonation was excellent!

What kind of keyboard do you use for your posts ? ...I run a Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry Blues and custom caps myself.
Was that sarcasm, are we including keyboards now in the SOTDs? :coffee:

38517883554_1aa80ab7ac_c.jpg

Soap: B&M Seville
Brush: Omega 10019 Boar
Razor: Asylum Rx
Blade: Feather Pro (maybe 6 and maybe time to move on)
AS: B&M Seville
@alfredus - I love the idea that you use your wife's art work for background of your SOTD shots. I always enjoy them. Inspired me to use my wife's work as background (gets her more interested in what I'm doing as well).:)
Nice shave off the Asylum this morning (albeit with a couple of minor weepers). I'm thinking move the blade on before I get irritation, I only get 7 uses at best anyway.

Lovely quilting work and admire that your partner can produce beautiful things, great to see more.
Have enjoyed @alfredus photos too as it adds another layer of creativity to our SOTDs.
Would love my partner to bring her finished work items home and place them as a backdrop for my SOTDs. However when she finishes a breast augmentation the patient usually wants to go to their own home. :happy:

... Lovely quilting work and admire that your partner can produce beautiful things, great to see more.
Have enjoyed @alfredus photos too as it adds another layer of creativity to our SOTDs.
Would love my partner to bring her finished work items home and place them as a backdrop for my SOTDs. However when she finishes a breast augmentation the patient usually wants to go to their own home. :happy:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL - thanks guys a great read (and great photos!)

I particularly appreciate the lack of comment on my typos and the ability I have to correct them, phew!

Was that sarcasm, are we including keyboards now in the SOTDs? :coffee:

Lovely quilting work and admire that your partner can produce beautiful things, great to see more.
Now THAT would be a SOTD :ROFLMAO:

Status
Not open for further replies.