The Worst Blade in The World

ETA on the spoilers?

Still awaiting the Schicks :mad: so don't hold your breath!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They say they will post tomorrow so hopefully in a couple of weeks

Talking worst blades in the world... Pjotr did you ever try the shogun blades yet?

No I haven't yet. I've been doing the vintage thing lately and have neglected my quest for the worst blade. It's next on my list. I think the Spoiler I've got going now is reaching it's use by date and then I'm back in the hunt!

And we have a winner!

I've been side tracked by the lure of the unobtanium blade lately and have neglected my search for the worst blade. It's been interestiing though. If nothing else seeing Mark at work tracking down blades is really something else. What was a simple little cunning plan has now turned in to a global takeover of all available supplies of all vintage blades. And he'll succeed, I have no doubt.

Anyhow, back to the issue at hand. I think this search provides important information. If you were to turn up somewhere at a supermarket/chemist in say India, Russia, Kazakstan etc in search of a DE blade, chances are you'll come across a make you've never heard of. The chances of finding any well known vintage make are negligible for reasons outlined above. If you come across a make called Shogun.......don't bother. I thought there was something wrong with the razor. Then I quickly put in a different blade and switched back and forth just to confirm that the Shogun now has the title of the worst blade in the world. It must have been sharpened on a spare bit of housebrick. I'm really happy because to date all my trials have turned out to be just your average MUM blade. Thanks eggy! A winner.

Last edited:
Wow, they are that bad?
I am now feeling a little guilty and hope you didn't do yourself took much damage?

Oh and secondly I have 4 more packs of shoguns going spare if anyone wants to swap them for... Oh I don't know half a dozen Schick's or spoilers?

Guess these might add will go in the bin then.

I didn't realise this was being done somewhere else. Yeah, is was truly that bad. I only went for a small section and stopped immediately. I might just try it again because I still can't quite believe it.

OUCH, the ones in the pic on the other thread even LOOK blunt!

........... I might just try it again because I still can't quite believe it.

Tried it again and I'm a believer. They truly are appalling. They're distributed by Lords so I'm assuming they're made in Egypt. Must have dug them out of a pyramid somewhere.

After Pjotr's glowing reference is there anyone out there that doesn't not want me to pif a pack of Shoguns to them?

Last edited:
Yeah, come on folks! If you don't try these you really don't know what a bad blade is. By all means don't actually complete a shave with one. Or even one stroke for that matter. Just put it to your face and make a start. You won't go beyond an inch or two. I promise. Shogun is excellent reference material. You gotta know what bad is before you can claim excellence or even mediocreness in a blade. From that perspective it was an excellent shaving experience.

You got any other candidates eggy?

Last edited:
I did, but I left them in Malaysia last time we went back to the wife's hometown.

Going again in April so might see what I can find for you.

gillette-super-blue2.jpg

Hands down winner of worst blade in the world. Couldn't even shave my cheeks with it! Took one stroke then binned it. Think of the worst cart shave you ever had - this is much worse.

Found it in the local asian $2 store. I'd rather shave with a Derby blade that has already been used for 3 months (and I really hate Derby blades!)

Nice one! It's rare to find a really bad blade. I guess it's obviously a doozy when you look at the wrapping and discover it's advertising a two blade cartridge razor. Even the manufacturers have no faith in this blade.

View attachment 415

Hands down winner of worst blade in the world. Couldn't even shave my cheeks with it! Took one stroke then binned it. Think of the worst cart shave you ever had - this is much worse.

Found it in the local asian $2 store. I'd rather shave with a Derby blade that has already been used for 3 months (and I really hate Derby blades!)

YES - I've tried those from a traveling box - horrible

Nice one! It's rare to find a really bad blade. I guess it's obviously a doozy when you look at the wrapping and discover it's advertising a two blade cartridge razor. Even the manufacturers have no faith in this blade.

It's almost as if they made it terrible just to push users onto the carts, which is a bit ironic since users are unlikely to take advice from the wrapper on such a poor performing blade.

Want a pack of Shoguns to compare them against?

Please?!

I think I'll pass on the shogun. More than happy to send you the remaining 4 pieces of Gillette scrap metal. PM me if you want them.

At least I'll know they're going to a good home.

When I asked PJ if he's like to try a 53 year old carbon Gillette Thin he replied:

Thanks for the offer but I'll pass on that one. I've tried it once. I guess given the choice of dying of WW1 mustard gas poisoning because of a badly fitting mask or shaving with a carbon blade I might do the latter. Tried a vintage single edge carbon blade too. Wouldn't even use that one as a scraper. I'm sure there's more to it than we know because people did use the things. Probably involving stropping and using those razor blade sharpeners you see on e-bay and storing in oil etc etc.

So I guess I'll just have to take one for the team! :confused: I've loaded said carbon Gillette into my Slim in preparation for tomorrows shave. If I don't report back by this time tomorrow, it is safe to assume that I bled to death in the bathroom. :amazed: