The Worst Blade in The World

Wished I could take pictures like that. Got some Gillette 365 to play with but other than that I've run out of potential BUM blades. I think it gets put way on the bottom of the peoples PIF list. If you've got a few left I'd love to try one for myself.

Hiya Pj, I'm enjoying your crusade! I had a go at my least favourite blade on hand again. The gillette goal. I had 2-3 days growth, which is usually a fairly easy test for a blade with me. The last time I tried them I had 1 day growth and irritation potential is much higher for me that way. So I gave it a chance, but after one stroke of poor cutting I picked up the loaded SE and it made light work of a first pass well prepped beard. The 4 or 5 shave old permasharp blade which the goal was replacing was better than the goal. Happy to send you some goals as well. They may not be as bottom of the barrel as others have offered, but not really usable for me.

I wish I could find the Chroma and Shogun blades I bought in Singapore for you to try.

Will have a hunt for them tonight.

I wish I could find the Chroma and Shogun blades I bought in Singapore for you to try.

Will have a hunt for them tonight.

Are they good or potentially bad?

By the way if the Spoiler keeps going like it is now I'd be just a little bit impressed. Although I still think all blades are basically MUM I'm willing to conceded that there could be a class of blade that's noticibly better or an uppper class but still MUM blade. Call it UPPEMUM if you like.

Are they good or potentially bad?

The Chroma wasn't great from memory, but that was shaving with a flare tip in cold water with godrej menthol, as opposed to my regular EJ89 w/ proraso.

So it could easily have been my problem, would just be interested in how someone else goes with it.

The Shoguns are interesting. Some people YKW have suggested they might be (or at least come from the same factory as) Feathers, but I've seen another quote saying they are made by Lord and are as dull as Collingwood a Dorco.

Apparently you can get this package delivered in Australia for $10 so I wouldnt expect much from the blades.
4bfa7fc9b616a_77862b.jpg

Last edited:
Can't find the chromas, but the shoguns and 2 bottles of tabac a/s turned up today when I had the house to myself and was able to search properly.
They *were* where she said they couldn't be!

I've got 25 blades, so you are welcome to a 5 pack if you still want to give them a try Pjotr?

Thread revival.. Hey PJ, I got a delivery of Spoilers off fleabay the other day and the guy chucked in a few Gillette Thins. I opened one and discovered it was dated F2 which makes it a 53 year old carbon steel blade. If you're willing to take your life in your hands, I'm happy to stick one in an envelope and let you be the crash test dummy! :amazed:

From what I could gather over YKW, opinions vary from not bad to "I'd rather shave with a cheese grater"....

Thread revival.. Hey PJ, I got a delivery of Spoilers off fleabay the other day and the guy chucked in a few Gillette Thins. I opened one and discovered it was dated F2 which makes it a 53 year old carbon steel blade. If you're willing to take your life in your hands, I'm happy to stick one in an envelope and let you be the crash test dummy! :amazed:

From what I could gather over YKW, opinions vary from not bad to "I'd rather shave with a cheese grater"....

Thanks for the offer but I'll pass on that one. I've tried it once. I guess given the choice of dying of WW1 mustard gas poisoning because of a badly fitting mask or shaving with a carbon blade I might do the latter. Tried a vintage single edge carbon blade too. Wouldn't even use that one as a scraper. I'm sure there's more to it than we know because people did use the things. Probably involving stropping and using those razor blade sharpeners you see on e-bay and storing in oil etc etc.

Thanks for the thread revival by the way. When I get over my recent love affair with vintage Shicks I'll get back to attempting to find the worst blade. What did you pay for the Spoilers if I may ask? Mark and I have got another cunning plan involving Spoilers and am just interested.

What did you pay for the Spoilers if I may ask? Mark and I have got another cunning plan involving Spoilers and am just interested.

Mate, I paid overs. Worked out about AUD 1.80 per blade for 20 but I was starting to panic as I only had 7 spoilers left! Since then I've got 30 Schicks off Mark so my VRBSD (Vintage Razor Blade Shortage Disorder) has somewhat lessened, however if you guys have discovered a secret stash and feel like spreading the love, I'm in for as many as you can spare!

Mate, I paid overs. Worked out about AUD 1.80 per blade for 20 but I was starting to panic as I only had 7 spoilers left! Since then I've got 30 Schicks off Mark so my VRBSD (Vintage Razor Blade Shortage Disorder) has somewhat lessened, however if you guys have discovered a secret stash and feel like spreading the love, I'm in for as many as you can spare!

Seems to be taking forever but Mark'll have a load of Shicks arriving for sure. Not sure if we're going to land the Spoilers as we're not too keen on the prices they generally fetch. I think you do pay for the Gillette name unless you're called GT and then you get them really cheap (just thought I'd get that one in before he does).

Maybe we go with an assortment of Gillettes. Might be three different kinds in there -

Blades.jpg

So what would they be RM???

So what would they be RM???

You have about 60 Spoilers (4packs) - Unknown vintage but likely earlyish.

The rest are Gillette Super Stainless Steel blades. I loaded one in my Fatboy on Saturday myself.

They are very good blades, basically the Spoilers were just a rebranding of the Super Stainless. Some of the Super Stainless may not have a PTFE coating, but may be coated with something else.

How much Marco? 405 vintage blade haul, I am equally impressed and jealous.

You have about 60 Spoilers (4packs) - Unknown vintage but likely earlyish.

The rest are Gillette Super Stainless Steel blades. I loaded one in my Fatboy on Saturday myself.

They are very good blades, basically the Spoilers were just a rebranding of the Super Stainless. Some of the Super Stainless may not have a PTFE coating, but may be coated with something else.

How much Marco? 405 vintage blade haul, I am equally impressed and jealous.

As an uncultured philistine I wouldn't pay more than 50c/blade for that miserable looking lot!

As an uncultured philistine I wouldn't pay more than 50c/blade for that miserable looking lot!

I must be an uncultured philistine too - neither would I, well not more than 0.29 cents per blade above that, may be I would max at out $0.5029 per blade to my door in Australia?

I must be an uncultured philistine too - neither would I, well not more than 0.29 cents per blade above that, may be I would max at out $0.5029 per blade to my door in Australia?

You're obviously a bit more cultured than me, working to four decimal places!

You're obviously a bit more cultured than me, working to four decimal places!

Yeah, you get a little like that in CBR

Don't know if this helps but I've got 2 types of "Spoilers" . One pack marked as Spoilers and are R series (1971) and the others are the type pictured with a star around the number of blades and "super" underneath. These are L series (1966). Both look identical and to me, shave identically.. So if you don't want the ones that don't say "Spoiler", kick 'em to me! :D

Don't know if this helps but I've got 2 types of "Spoilers" . One pack marked as Spoilers and are R series (1971) and the others are the type pictured with a star around the number of blades and "super" underneath. These are L series (1966). Both look identical and to me, shave identically.. So if you don't want the ones that don't say "Spoiler", kick 'em to me! :D

Once this lot and the additional Schicks arrive there will be another sale thread. Everybody needs to have at least four lifetimes of blades I understand