Supply Provisions Single Edge Pass Around with PIF

Pass around started today - @bald as has the razor, which is great news, since he has extensive experience with injectors and will definitely provide great feedback for the other participants!

Here is the final list:

@bald as - Adelaide
@nsavage - Adelaide
@Psmith - Melbourne
@Nightguard - Melbourne
@Mark1966 - Canberra
@stillshunter - Canberra
If @Brendan - Brisbane is interested - this would be his slot
@Sxot - Mackay
@Anthony Hunter - Townsville

Please communicate here and with each other and most important of all: ENJOY (y)

The Sydney-siders have sat out huh? Tut-tut. Their loss...

@alfredus was kind enough to make available a very nicely produced single edge razor. I have used Schick injectors for a very long time and have always appreciated the adjustable version so this version with 3 plates has a lot of potential.

Each plate fits into the head and has a slight difference in blade gap.

A spring loaded screw secures each plate and removal is quick and simple. The only caution is - don't change the plate over the basin. The screw is the only one to hold the plate to the razor body.

Each plate has a circle etched on the plate to indicate the smaller or larger provided blade gap.

The plate is secured with the single sprung screw. The method for loading the blade is traditional to Schick injectors and has an added feature where slight thumb pressure just below the sprung screw further aid inserting the blade injector. Longer to type than actually do.
The workmanship is very good on this razor and the feel even when wet is tops. No slipping.

The brushed stainless steel is excellent and provides secure confidence even if soapy and wet.

Steve

Last edited:
So you can take great pictures @bald as - very nice!

So you can take great pictures @bald as - very nice!

Beautiful photos @bald as !!! Nice summary write up too. It certainly is hefty in the hand!

I asked Patrick about buying an extra screw once I saw the design and he said extras won't be for sale (at least initially). IMO it's the weakest link in the design of the razor- if you lose it you're stuffed. It's a pity that he didn't make an extra screw available for a few dollars.

My first impressions:

Weight. The razor has real heft so if you like a heavy razor then you'll enjoy this one.

Efficiency. I used the medium (2 dots) head and it was a low-medium efficiency for me.

Shave Angle. The angle that you hold the handle (aka shave angle or cutting angle) seems to be a little steeper/higher (away from the face) than most injectors. Definitely much lower than a DE though.

A solid shave overall and I enjoyed it.

(That screw though! The weakest link...)

No problem if you drop the screw into the basin. It will have an s-bend which required no tools to remove and is perfect for catching such a dropped object.

:) Funny isn't it how we grade problems?

Okay.... it's a problem with an easy, but messy solution, but not the end of the razor and doesn't require a replacement screw to be purchased or supplied.

My final impressions of the Supply razor: Passed on to @nsavage last night. Thank you for the opportunity to try this razor @alfredus.

Very well made and because of the SS very little if any problems with staining or corrosion. From a visual perspective it is a beautiful razor.
This razor is far heavier than any of my SE's including my GEM's which I do admit is off putting . Because of the weight it wasn't as nimble as a Schick, mind you younger arms than mine probably won't mind.

With the design of the head and the way it secures the blade, changing a plate for a milder or more aggressive shave during the shave is not as straight forward as first thought. When the plate is removed the blade is no longer secure and has to be refitted by hand into its correct position and if the one and only screw holding the plate to the razor is eaten by your cat without you noticing then the shave [and razor] is finished. The principle of alternate heads is good but the sprung screw holding the plate is problematic. Having said that just change it with a face towel underneath and you'll be fine.

For me an SE with a slightly more aggressive/efficient shave is the go, this one was reasonably efficient but felt a bit wimpy [dare I say - too nice? ]. Even the largest blade gap didn't give the impression I was having a close shave. The shave was very close but not the reflected shaving experience.

Pros: Great looks - Secure when wet - Versatile [sort of adjustable] - excellent design for inserting and using injector cartridge.
Cons: -- and these are a survey value of one - Too heavy by far - Screw problem as mentioned - Aggression between plates not wide enough.

Shave quality in terms of lack of irritation from the razor design is very good. Put the head flat on your face and lower the handle until you start cutting whiskers. For me a gap between the blade cap and my face of about 1-2 mm was fine.

The process of shaving is different for everyone and these are my thoughts only.

Steve

Fantastic review @bald as and many thanks for the personal delivery...

Day one using the Supply Provisions Single Edge razor and I was very much looking forward to seeing how it shaved. Having only started wet shaving in October of 2015 I had not yet had the opportunity to experience a single edge razor of any kind and I was therefore very interested to find out how they shave in comparison to a DE.

I will start of with some photos of the razor and my initial impressions of it.

My initial impression was that the razor was smaller than I thought it would be. I am not sure why I thought it would be large but assume that the previous photos and the design make it look like a hefty razor. The razor itself is nicely finished and appears to be very well machined (bar one area that I will get to in a moment). The brushed stainless finish feels like it has been somehow textured and this provides additional grip. The razor comes nicely packaged and includes 3 adjustment plates, 40 Personna blades and some basic use and care instructions.

HleVQdf.jpg

RLtAET7.jpg

WOTBn4l.jpg

Even with my limited experience I was able to tell that the safety bar and blade stops were aligned correctly and straight. The adjustable plates fit evenly and correctly once there is a blade inserted (I noticed that there was some play without a blade but this is obviously going to occur).

LD3EnD6.jpg

The screw which holds the plate is small as mentioned previously by both @alfredus and @bald as. I also noted that there was ample thought put in to the design of the screw and spring assembly as such that the spring is secured to the screw in such a way that it will not simply fall of once the screw is removed from the razor. That being said I too noticed that the screw is small enough to easily fall down a drain and I was not only extremely conscious of not removing it above the sink I would likewise be concerned in an bathroom with a central drain located on the floor or an open shower in to which the screw could accidentally drop towards and roll in to. I would have to agree that this is the single biggest design flaw of the razor. That being said I would expect that engineering it in such a way that the screw was somehow attached to the adjustment plate itself would probably have involved a different method of machining and would also have lead to the requirement of having a screw in each head. Both of which would have lead to an increase in cost I would suspect. I would have to however echo the thoughts of others and feel that it would be wise to have either included a spare screw and spring assembly with the razor and/or make them available as a spare part.

jiwlEfR.jpg

The razor comes with three plates of differing levels of aggression. The level of aggression is marked on the inside of the plate with a series of dots with one being the mildest plate and three being the most aggressive. It was also on the inside of the base plate that I noticed the one part of the razor that to me appears to be not quite as nicely finished as the rest. Perhaps I am simply being fussy but I noticed that the notch where the key form the injector goes appears to be roughly finished. It appears that this part has been done by hand and it does not appear to have any of the same precision that the rest of the razor has. It may be hard to see in the below pictures but if you look closely you can see an amount of variance in each plate. I would not expect that this would cause any considerable amount of difference in the way the razor works though. What I do expect is that once again this is an area that would have required additional machinery in the manufacturing process and may have been costly to implement effectively. I suspect that the reason this has been finished by hand is because it was a more cost effective manufacturing solution.

MHAAMfR.jpg

rIRIuH6.jpg

iaQyslF.jpg

@bald as was kind enough to give me a demonstration on how to load the razor when he dropped it off to me and I found it very easy to load a blade. The blade sits nicely on the blade stops and aligns perfectly with the safety bar.

ZAfJ8YZ.jpg

For my first shave I decided to go with the mid range aggression plate. I lathered up with Shaver Heaven Forbidden Forest and tentatively started using the razor. Initially I found that there was a large variation in terms of the angle that could be utilised when using the razor. I read in the instructions that I should be using a fairly steep angle but quickly noticed that although I was getting reasonable audible feedback. I found the razor to be extremely smooth initially with very little blade feel but the reason for that quickly became apparent as I was not getting a great result. As such I moved to a steeper angle and noted that the audible feedback increased, I did however note that the razor did not feel as smooth at a shallower angle and there was definitely more blade feel (the blade feel is not a big issue for me as I do not mind a small amount of it). After two passes WTG and XTG) I noted that I had nowhere near the results that I would expect from almost any DE razor and was nowhere near close enough to start an ATG pass. I decided to try another XTG pass and even still found that I was not getting close enough to move on to an ATG pass. Any normal person would have probably stopped here and decided to have another go tomorrow. Unfortunately I am somewhat stubborn and as such I decided that the best option was to move on to the aggressive base plate.

It was at this point that I noted that A) the screw which holds the backing plate is so small and slippery that it is very difficult to remove when the razor and/or your hands are wet and B) (as mentioned by @bald as ) the blade has to be removed in order for the change to take place. Additionally as mentioned above one feels the urgency to move as far away from any sink or drain as possible and even then is deathly afraid that the whole process could result in the screw being lost forever. I found that removing the blade with the intent of reusing it was quite fiddly (perhaps because I am a novice) and during the process it fell on the floor and as such I felt it best to dispose of it and start with a fresh blade.

In the end moving on to the aggressive plate was the best decision for me though. I'm not sure what the reasons are but as soon as I changed I instantly found a great steep angle at which the razor was exceptionally smooth with only a small amount of blade feel. In addition I instantly saw a change in results. One more XTG pass followed by an ATG pass (plus a few small touch ups) and I had achieved a nice close shave. I had a couple of very small weepers on my chin area (an area that is notorious for these on me) but I put that down to a lack of experience with the razor type rather than the razor itself. My alum block quickly informed me that I had a small amount of irritation in a couple of small spots on my neck which I put down to having performed way too many passes (5 in total I believe plus the touch ups) which in hindsight was an extremely poor idea on my behalf (what did I say earlier about being stubborn LOL).

Having got my initial experience with both the Supply Provisions Single Edge and injector razors in general and also having found what appears to be the ideal setup with the razor for me I very much look forward to seeing what results the next few shaves bring.

I loved the personal "story" to your experience. Thanks @nsavage - it makes it easy for others to compare their own experience to yours. [emoji106]