Shave of the Day Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what kind of tobacco? Latakia? Maduro? ;) Good to see your WA products being supported. I have a jacket I bought in Albany over 20 years ago that someone had scented with Mt Romance sandalwood, and I can still smell it whenever I use the jacket. That's longevity for you...
The maker mentions pipe tobacco, but to me it is not sweet but a more austere note.
Good to hear that you also like the local sandalwood - it’s great stuff.

The maker mentions pipe tobacco, but to me it is not sweet but a more austere note.
Good to hear that you also like the local sandalwood - it’s great stuff.
Back in another century I used to smoke a pipe, as did my father when I was a boy. He used to favour Erinmore, which always struck me as a little too sweet (but less so than the despicable Cavendish varieties). I preferred the richer, deeper flavours and aromas of Players Whiskey or St Bruno, based principally on Latakia and Maduro. Of course they all smell terrible when they've been smoked.:rolleyes: But that was another world, and it's been well over 30 years since I last smoked...

SOTW

IMG-20220814-204244.jpg

Stay Safe & Happy Shaves!

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Wholly Kaw/Pasteur Pharmacy Timmermann shaving soap
Razor: Vintage Gillette 'Fatboy' Adjustable razor (6)
Blade: Schick Plus Platinum (1)
Post-shave: Wholly Kaw/Pasteur Pharmacy Timmermann balm
Fragrance: Wholly Kaw/Pasteur Pharmacy Timmermann EDT

As I said yesterday, that Timmermann is great stuff! Just the sort of thing you can get in a P&C Charity Auction

In fact you will find lots of great things in a P&C Charity Auction

PTd7rt0l.jpg

I think it might just make me hungry.

This was tonight's dinner: boiled szechuan fish in chilli. The liquid you see here is mostly chillies. Yum... :love:
chilli.jpg

was this your cooking mate? if so, can you please share this recipe with me :love:

You might be disappointed with that. IMO the Polsilver SI is quite a lot blunter than the Yellow, though many say it's smoother. (I'm not sure that I agree, and I really like the Yellow.) From what I've heard, the Minora or GSB might just suit your needs, or maybe the BIC. Good luck...

agree the Gillette Yellow SE is sharper than the Polsilver or wizamet, but wouldnt say by a lot. the Wiza can def be a little smoother but depends on the razor its in. Minora is excellent also but dont discount the nacet also and the BIC is an amazing blade (in a Rocca)

I've been on the EVOO trial for a week as well but because my skin is naturally a bit oily have just been using 2-3 drops each water & oil and after emulsifying massaging into the back of the hands before face because my hands need it more than my face :)

yeah you dont need much, as I have found out over the course of a week :)

started with 12 drops of oil and equivalent water but found it took around 40mins plus to soak in, now I am down to 5-6 and its all soaked in within 10-15mins and the alcohol splash applied after sorts out any lingering oil.. so far I love this treatment and see it as a permanent part of the process

Last edited by a moderator:
WR2 1.25
German Wilkie
Yaqi 24mm 2-Band Badger
Dead Sea Soap
Olive Oil + Dead Sea Splash

Been a while since I used this dead sea soap and tell ya what, this time I got an incredible lather from it, I guess I just wasnt loading up these badgers enough. Glad this soap is back in rotation cos the scent on it is up there with the top 5 no doubt.

Also happy I spent the week long trek with the WR2 a couple weeks back as it taught me how to use the razor correctly and is now my #1 razor in the den, no questions asked

52286302450_b1e789b797_h.jpg

pKRfdS5l.jpg

Pre Shave: Hot Towel
Razor: Birth Year 1969 O1 Gillette Black Handle Super 84 Adjustable
Blade: Astra
Soap: HSSC Green Door
Brush: Wild West Brushworks Oceano

A big thank you to @tim33z for HSSC Green Door. HSSC is a soap that I've been wanting to try for a while now so I was pretty happy to get a hold of a tub. First time with my Birth year razor as well, it only arrived this morning after a month of waiting from the US.

was this your cooking mate? if so, can you please share this recipe with me :love:
It wasn't my cooking, it's a local Chinese restaurant (Ding Sing, Launceston), but I have made it at home. I'm pretty sure I got the recipe from one of Fuscia Dunlop's books (which I thoroughly recommend if you're into Sichuan food). I'll have a look later on and see if I can find it.

s.png

Pre-shave: Hot flannel, Pears soap
Brush: CaYuen "Copper Ore" 30mm DScosmetic G7
Soap: D.R. Harris - Windsor
Razor: Blackland Sabre
Blade: Personna GEM Stainless
Post-shave: Shower, Thayer's witch hazel w/- cucumber, homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+, Oxford & Cambridge cologne
COTD: Mocha Ismaili, Yemen

See here and here...

Last edited:
WR2 1.25
German Wilkie
Yaqi 24mm 2-Band Badger
Dead Sea Soap
Olive Oil + Dead Sea Splash

Been a while since I used this dead sea soap and tell ya what, this time I got an incredible lather from it, I guess I just wasnt loading up these badgers enough. Glad this soap is back in rotation cos the scent on it is up there with the top 5 no doubt.

Also happy I spent the week long trek with the WR2 a couple weeks back as it taught me how to use the razor correctly and is now my #1 razor in the den, no questions asked

52286302450_b1e789b797_h.jpg
Nice photo (y).

It wasn't my cooking, it's a local Chinese restaurant (Ding Sing, Launceston), but I have made it at home. I'm pretty sure I got the recipe from one of Fuscia Dunlop's books (which I thoroughly recommend if you're into Sichuan food). I'll have a look later on and see if I can find it.

Thanks mate, but I wouldn't know sichuan from any other region or type, all I know is I love Asian food, I love spicy food and certainly loved the look of that picture 😃 when u find it send it on mate.. cheers 👍

ROBgxrT.jpg

Prep: Country Life Tallow/Lanolin/Glycerin Soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Rooney 1/3 Super Silvertip Badger
Soap: Saponificio Bignoli Sandalo Indiano
Razor: Pils 101NE
Blade: Vintage NOS Gillette Platinum Plus (1)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, D.R. Harris Sandalwood Aftershave Lotion
Scent: Geo. F. Trumper Sandalwood EdC

H- SOTD 15.08.22

615-EA0-B3-03-DF-426-E-B32-B-E0-C6140-D0240.jpg

Pre-shave:- Hot shower
Brush:- Grizzly Bay w/ Fanchurian knot
Soap:- Blue Devil - Vetiver
Razor: Blackland - Blackbird
Blade: Gillette - Minora
Moisturiser: Neutrogena - Hydro Boost

Good little shave - although I thought I had jumped the gun shaving on day 2 instead of day 3.

Used Blue Devil Shave Co’s - Vetiver today. This was my first time ever using a BDSC soap. The soap base itself was super dense and “tacky”. Immediately reminded me of Moon Soaps. It produced a very thick cream that hung around for the entire shave - had the texture of melted marshmallow. Shaved off nicely, with minimal residual slickness.

Unsure on the scent - very 1960s traditional house soap. It reminded me of Imperial Lather - the soap my nan used to keep in the bathroom. I’m still on the fence with the scent - could end up adding a few of Stirlings Freeze Drops the next time I use it.

1-FB7-EB85-C033-4834-8-AB4-8055999-D396-B.jpg

Ended up with a BBS shave - but a little closer than normal. Shall go back to shaving the old noggin every 3 days i think 🤔

C

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson The Duke shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Noble Otter Two Kings shaving soap
Razor: Vintage Gillette 'Fatboy' Adjustable razor (6)
Blade: Schick Plus Platinum (2)
Post-shave: Noble Otter Two Kings splash
Fragrance: N/A

aO8dmitl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.