Shave of the Day Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
03Rioiel.jpg

Such a great combo that I've stuck with it. The only change is to a Vintage Wilkie blade.

Soap: Shaver Heaven - Arctic Mango (Tallow V2)
Brush: The Chubsta!
Blade: Lone Wolf
Scent: PAA - Lime Ice Sage

That is indeed a whole lot of brush, and this "just" a '2'. No, I did not come close to getting it in my eye although the coverage is amazing. Move the brush a cm and half your face is lathered! The length of the handle bothers some but not me. The only complaint I had with the Duke was the diameter of the handle and the Chubby fixes that, nice and wide but you do notice the extra weight in the brush. Heft is a word I would use, yes. Loaded easily, far better than I expected but I erred on the side of too much. This lead to the most dense lather I have ever had and piles of it all the way to the end and more to give. I'm used to the third pass not being as dense as the first but this shave it was the same all the way through. Amazing. My guess is there is so many bristles on the soap, it just sucks it up real fast. Smaller brushes, I am guessing need a longer load? It's not as soft as my Duke, but I suspect it hasn't had the use the Duke has so I expect it to get softer with time.

Have to post the obligatory photo of the Wee Scot, Duke & Chubby together.... Amazed they are soo different, yet soo capable/good in their own way.

Soap; @Anthony you will be glad you don't see me on a regular basis as I would slapping you on the back every time.. awesome stuff as usual. Best stuff I have tried. There maybe others out there better, but none I have experience, and none that are Aussie small business.

PAA; Performance and Scent together in one top little package... as you know, I rave about this stuff every SOTD!

Lone Wolf; Groovy little shaver, but need to mute the point.... poked me a couple of times going across the neck the little barstard!

SOTD
Shaver Heaven Juicy Froot Tallow V3
Semogue 1250 (broken in)
Feather AS D1
Vodskhod Blade (2ndUsage)

I was very graciously given a sample by Brendan Walkley which arrived yesterday along with 2 others.
Well Juicy Froot Tallow V3 I have heard the hype and did not know what to expect well in part I did. First off a familiar fruity scent as with alot of Shaver Heaven soaps but yes it is like Juicy Fruit Chewing Gum. Lathered a good size piece in the bowl as always with SH soaps easy as really stirs up a lather fast. One note the scent did dissapaite some once water was added by about 60% but that did not take away from the awesome lather it produced. So onto the face application well this is where it all took off like a Jet Fighter on nitro unbeleivable, the application denseness and slicknes was off the scale I gave it 3 passes today on a day an half growth and I have to say when it came to performance & slickness this soap was nothing short of near perfect if it was to be given a rating out of 10 it would be 15 out of 10 There was no skin irritation of any sort during the shave or post shave. The post shave feel was fresh and soft. This one is for sure a true winner and could easily be rated alot higher and compete without effort against more expensive soaps in the $35.00 to $50.00 range so for what you can buy this off Shaver Heaven for is an absolute bargain. Now all I have to do is convince Anthony Macri to make me up a 75g tub in the smaller container like my Mondial which I might turf out and give him the container to do for me and presto I would be happy. Anthony Macri - Shaver Heaven Juicy Froot get some lads it's all it's hyed up to be and more................................................

Last edited:
@Osman where did you get this cologne from and I hoping they could ship it to Australia :oops: I've been trying to get my hands on this cologne, also what's the scent like and how long does it last .
Gifts & Care stock it. The scent is a subtle and adult, not sweet, orange scent. It is a cologne so lasts for up to five hours. A quality product.

R2DFkM76t37rAIo-408Vu1aKyyqGXDIyQVC8MA5wA-Ok9S4j6wRpCl2XPkBhulKj6R5TyDPX7495a8PwjibjPzBKLI7AStogkjKMOwJkB8OZ7vyUA_RwLc5aSY3AT9nRhhRWDe1xED9K3o0z4jEI6T38cdB-dWCjNPWLo84iFfp6bvdh7DL4nII6HA1bvxaqq6UZ9WmHSI6ja5Dam_aCFB93hM7nKUprN9Kcj9fDrOkpAZRYw_8adN_WcLwUTsaDeDv20a_YjjixY1s7BvkGqLDKioPLqGbqANLh88-KfPrxD9lkqI-vTKIMVuD9xHMINLn0f_373fhVjcJEivxY4pYm6O9udfnANzNrRPnc_7gnDIHeeSCooOKTkW44QRq_fY9Hn_l1XJbXp0tUrg_vcUm54z1BB8yCvTG5DR6lBulf93RiCOXVhZyMmuCf5cUIanPV2o2k57DuRbC34TmW8x8R2sn04rE-6hiqkWgQUT5fqSfXtulDR8pLEKhKEPdGbIpfhbk58kw94pNr6SCn9l2zvmTh8N1p8ANsrqKJLOd3I2lqzNLV2dDdiEE0oSd9YNUxRHsOLEQQa6QRcgBWBtMA1fZ6lsY=w941-h786-no

Face Wash : Shower
Pre-Shave : Myrsol Emulsion
Brush : Plisson
Soap : Sudsy Soapery Citrus & Bay
Razor : Brucke 6/8 Solingen straight
After Shave : Alum, Top Seven Balm, Terre D'Hermes EDT

Another really enjoyable shave today. The Citrus & Bay soap is a favourite fragrance for me, and the Plisson synthetic just tore into the task of producing a near perfect lather from it. Of the various synthetic brushes I've tried to date, the Plisson is the go-to synthetic.

The Brucke served up its usual highly effective but really comfortable shave. If I had to choose a desert island razor, the Brucke would be a very strong contender.

I finished with the usual Alum, followed by the addictively excellent Top Seven AS Balm (thanks @Osman!). After the balm was fully absorbed into my skin, I was in an orange mood so I applied a good dose of Terre d'Hermes. While doing my shopping a bit later for the long weekend, an attractive woman in the local gourmet deli asked me "What's that beautiful fragrance you're wearing?". First time I've copped that question. Maybe I should wear that Terre d'Hermes more often from now on?

20160610_SOTDS_zps7mtwvt7d.jpg

Pre-Shave: Cypriotian Olive/Argan Oil soap, cold water
Razor: Wolfman SB-P WRH2
Blade: Ladas (1)
Brush: Paladin TSN LE
Lather: Stirling Lavender & Bergamot
Post-shave: Alum, Barrister & Man Kyovu Original, Australian Emu Oil​

Almost forgot how GREAT Stirling soaps are! Don't believe me? Check out the lather picture.

I also sometimes forget my 2nd Paladin - the handle is a bit too small for my taste (almost lost it today as well) - but the knot makes up for it - heavenly shave

82a81e32d244ec5eb7f2568727e094d7.jpg

Pre: Musgo Real Lime Oil Soap, Proraso Green cream
Brush: DR Harris Best Badger H3
Soap: MWF
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: Feather (3)
Balm: GFT Extract of Limes
A/S: Barrister & Mann Arctique

Super close shave today. The MWF lather was so cushioning that I was tempted to run extra passes in my problem areas; thus a wee bit of razor burn.
Always learning.....
Loved the deep freeze of the Arctique.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pre: Shower
Brush: Stirling 22mm synth
Razor: Kamisori - western grind (on loan from @Draco Noir)
Soap: Shaver Heaven - Hubba Hubba
Post shave: Alum, Summer Breeze Balm

FRAT version below.

Seventh shave with the Kami and what an absolute cracker!

I normally shave every second day which would have meant shaving last night however I had today off so I thought I would hold out one more day and see if the extra days growth would have any impact on my shave. I planned on doing a 2 pass shave but once I had done a WTG and XTG I really wanted to prolong it so I added an ATG pass as well. I was feeling good due to how well my previous shaves had gone and also speaking to Sensei @Draco Noir yesterday who always instills a lot of confidence in me.

I took a bit of time trying to figure out how to attack my problem areas. I ended up using a smaller proportion of the blade i.e. only using a couple of centimeters to navigate the tricky areas where despite skin stretching there just isn't enough room to use the whole blade. While it was delicate work, I took my time and I never felt like I was in danger of nicking myself.

This resulted in my first ever completely BBS!! :D

The only blemish of this shave was nicking my cheek once on the XTG pass due to a momentary lapse in concentration but despite that I couldn't be happier with how this shave went. To get my first full BBS ever, especially with a straight has given me an enormous sense of accomplishment and satisfaction.

Sensei @Draco Noir is as modest as he is knowledgeable and wise so while he may not want to take any credit, the reality is without him I would be like a rudderless ship in a storm.

FRAT: 7th shave with the Kami, 3 passes, 1 nick on the cheek, managed to get all the difficult spots, first ever completely BBS!! Absolutely wrapped :D

Last edited:

FRAT version below.

I normally shave every second day which would have meant shaving last night however I had today off so I thought I would hold out one more day and see if the extra days growth would have any impact on my shave. I planned on doing a 2 pass shave but once I had done a WTG and XTG I really wanted to prolong it so I added an ATG pass as well. I was feeling good due to how well my previous shaves had gone and also speaking to Sensei @Draco Noir yesterday who always instills a lot of confidence in me.

I took a bit of time trying to figure out how to attack my problem areas. I ended up using a smaller proportion of the blade i.e. the first couple of centimeters to navigate the tricky areas where despite skin stretching there just isn't enough room to use the whole blade. While it was delicate work, I took my time and I never felt like I was in danger of nicking myself.

The only blemish of this shave was nicking my cheek once on the XTG pass due to a momentary lapse in concentration but despite that I couldn't be happier with how this shave went. To get my first full BBS ever, especially with a straight has given me an enormous sense of accomplishment and satisfaction.

Sensei @Draco Noir is as modest as he is knowledgeable and wise so while he may not want to take any credit, the reality is without him I would be like a rudderless ship in a storm.

FRAT: 7th shave with the Kami, 3 passes, 1 nick on the cheek, managed to get all the difficult spots, first ever completely BBS!! Absolutely wrapped :D
Great write up, @saku39. Bloody useful when guys such as yourself go into detail to describe the pro's and con's of a particular setup and shave. Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:

FRAT version below.

I took a bit of time trying to figure out how to attack my problem areas. I ended up using a smaller proportion of the blade i.e. only using a couple of centimeters to navigate the tricky areas where despite skin stretching there just isn't enough room to use the whole blade. While it was delicate work, I took my time and I never felt like I was in danger of nicking myself.

I'm so drawn to the idea of kamisoris!
Well done!

20160610_SOTDS_zps7mtwvt7d.jpg

Pre-Shave: Cypriotian Olive/Argan Oil soap, cold water
Razor: Wolfman SB-P WRH2
Blade: Ladas (1)
Brush: Paladin TSN LE
Lather: Stirling Lavender & Bergamot
Post-shave: Alum, Barrister & Man Kyovu Original, Australian Emu Oil​

Almost forgot how GREAT Stirling soaps are! Don't believe me? Check out the lather picture.

I also sometimes forget my 2nd Paladin - the handle is a bit too small for my taste (almost lost it today as well) - but the knot makes up for it - heavenly shave

So since ur not 100% happy with the Paladin your wanting to sell it?

Great write up, @saku39. Bloody useful when guys such as yourself go into detail to describe the pro's and con's of a particular setup and shave. Cheers.

Thanks @TomG, I really appreciate your kind words, I find writing it down really helps me as it forces me to objectively think about every aspect of the shave which in turn helps me consolidate and build on for the next one.(y)

It also helps when I write something where I've drawn a wrong conclusion or had trouble with some aspect as @Draco Noir has been able to identify and fix problems I didn't even realise I had! :D

I'm so drawn to the idea of kamisoris!
Well done!

Thanks @silver, I agree Kamisori's have a real exotic appeal. When you're ready I'd really encourage you to take the plunge (y)

Pre: GFT Lime skin food
Brush: Shavemac 177
Soap: Razorock Santa Maria del Fiore
Razor: Standard
Blade: Feather
Post: alum, witch hazel, B&M Arctique (inspired by @TomG)

Yes, it's back to Standard.
With the Shavemac 177, I find it harder to achieve that ultra glossy lather I usually get from other brushes. I wonder why, but there was no lack of lather though, the brush produced so much lather that it just kept spilling out and I had to contain it. I used the Load/Hydrate method today and started with a slightly wetter brush than I usually would with this technique. I probably should have slowed down the swirling at the beginning to let the water in the brush slowly pick up the soap without creating bubbles. I will test lather tonight and give it another go just to get a better grip on this. I shall not fail my lather idol - @alfredus

Down to the shave. I followed @Lifes a Peach and @Osman recommendation to load a Feather in the standard. I think it's the smoothest shave I've had with a Feather, ever.
Remember how I always mentioned that the Standard has an amazing blade feedback? When paired with the Feather, just light pressure on the face is enough to decimate an entire village of whiskers. Really smooth, fantastic and one of my best ATG shaves. Very smooth and happy shave tonight, with one or two really small nicks due to carelessness.

Alum feedback confirmed the shave was an amazing one. Splashed on the Arctique and I accidentally rubbed my eyes. Ouch. Can feel the menthol sucking the soul out of my eyes.
@saku39 It is confirmed, the Standard is definitely my favourite razor.

Status
Not open for further replies.