Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow - way outside my comfort zone tonight. I honed my Kamisori this afternoon and they are a scary sharp razor. As they are a thicker blade no pushing is required at all. I threw tradition out the window and used both hands as seemed appropriate and while I certainly didn't fly over the face it wasn't too bad. Progress slowed dramatically though under the nose and the chin, in fact I don't really have a SAS but I haven't touched up anything else with an SE or standard razor. I do have a pHD in razor cowardice so I can see I will need many weeks/months to get really comfortable with the Kamisori. I am amazed at how smooth and close it gives on 2 passes. I may get out a dremel and cut down a normal western style straight to about 45mm and remove the scales and attach a handle, I have hit buy now a couple of times too many this week so will probably have a chop down candidate for sure.

img_1772.jpg

Trumpers Lime Skinfood
Duke 3
Carsons Apocathary Exotic Oud
1924 Shovel Head
Gem (4)
Fine American Blend AS

Not bad. Not sure how many shaves to expect from the Gem SE blades.

20150919_231428 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr
Preshave: @Draco Noir preshave oil
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89L
Blade: Polsilver SI
Brush: Vie Long Horse
Soap: Strewth
Post Shave: Strewth AS Cologne
Three passes of bliss. The polsilver mowed through my two day growth and the strewth provided an excellent level of protection. The scent is so unique and followed up with the AS splash it is brilliant. Great Sunday shave.

Razor: E1 Fatboy @ 5
Blade: Spoiler (6)
Brush: Plissitane
Soap/Cream: @Barrister & Mann '42' (aka the answer to life, death, the universe and everything)

Thanks to SydBJW for the swap on the 42 - I am glad it isn't exactly your style!

This stuff is almost a sweet Arko - but also has a slightly powder/floral note to it in order to round it out. Good for Spring, no doubt about it at all although I am sure it would be too much in summer. I did find it seems to lather differently to the other B&M premium soaps. It certainly needed more working to bring that youghurty cream lather on the face, but I did start off quite a bit drier than I have previously. Never really bubbled up during the additional water phase either, just increased in size.

Spoiler keeps on keeping on. Just starting to notice the drop-off in closeness.

Glad you enjoyed the soap, the scent was good but not quiet what I was after.

Razor: Black Beauty
Blade: Schick Plus Platinum (thanks for the blade @Monsta_AU)
Brush: Shavemac Two Band
Soap: I Coloniali Mango oil

Nice two pass shave with a soap I haven't used for a while. It is a great scent on this soap (I don't get the mango but get a spicy powdery smell that I really like). Think the Clubman Musk went well with the soap.

150920_zpsmesdcpfp.png

Face Wash : Shower
Pre Shave : Home made Bergamot & Neroli Pre-Shave Oil
Brush : Plisson La Maison du Barbier
Soap : Musgo Real Orange Amber Cream
Razor : Hybrid Kamisori - Hoshi Tombo 8000
After Shave : Fine Orange Noir

Another cracker of a Melbourne Spring morning, so citrus seemed a very appropriate fragrance theme. Applied a few drops of my own citrus themed pre-shave oil to a well hydrated face, and then lathered up. I often feel that these Musgo Real Creams are sadly underrated - the lather is very good, the scents are very good, and the value for money is outstanding. A wonderfully smooth and close shave followed, courtesy of the brilliant Hoshi Tombo 8000. I think I will always cherish this razor, and see it as "the one that started it all". It wasn't the first Kamisori or straight I acquired, but it was the first one to open my eyes to the incredible quality of both shave and shave experience available in the world of traditional blades. A splash of Fine Orange Noir aftershave completed the citrus indulgence, and put a fine finish on a fine shave.....

Last edited:
Razor: Black Beauty
Blade: Schick Plus Platinum (thanks for the blade @Monsta_AU)
Brush: Shavemac Two Band
Soap: I Coloniali Mango oil

Nice two pass shave with a soap I haven't used for a while. It is a great scent on this soap (I don't get the mango but get a spicy powdery smell that I really like). Think the Clubman Musk went well with the soap.

Looks like a lovely brush!!! Is it the DO1 2-band or the Silvertip 2-band? What size is the knot and most importantly how do you like it?

Kamisori: Inoue Fujisuke
Razor: Ever-Ready 24/14
Blade: Personna Gem
Brush: Omega S10108
Soap: Mike's Lemongrass & Eucalyptus
Aftershave: Pinaud Lime Sec

I'm coming unstuck with the kami when I reach the neck. I may experiment with going straight down, American style. (Normally I go S-N on the neck on the first pass.)

Mike's Lemongrass & Eucalyptus is outstanding!

5F440C93-4D11-43A9-AAF7-88A263E7B3CA_zpslt6dnsgu.jpg

SOTD Sunday, September 20

Same photo as yesterday, same shave as yesterday.

Using the kami is a learning experience. As stated in yesterday's SOTD, I really like the kami and it has it's advantages over a Western style straight; a shorter blafe equals less skin stetching to get into hollows & folds. The shorter blade however means more passes to cover the area of your face.

Also using only one hand (traditional kamisori shave method) a whole new challenge is raised as I attempt to get my right hand over to my left cheek/neck while keeping the same side of the blade againt my skin. After two kami shaves I am hooked on the whole mystique and opera/production of kamisori shaving. Altough longing to return to the "ease" of a Western style straight, I've determined that becoming proficient on the kami will only come if I spend at least 3-4 weeks of daily use.

C'mon blokes; get a kami from @Mark and try the kamisori challenge. The kamisori looks so cool and although not lethal, mastering the beast is a challenge but one you can do.

Sunday 20 September 2015

212806d1442750160-sun-september-20th-sat-september-26th-sotd-20092015.jpg

Mastro Livi Grifetto, 6/8 Full Hollow, Round Point

It is always a pleasure to shave with Mastro Livi Grifetto - a 6/8 stainless steel straight razor - a super performing shaver always giving an incredible super smooth shave. In this period I am also experimenting with Bay Rum aftershaves quite a lot and I am trying to use as much as I can in order to compare them with my newest Bay Rum batch and see how they perform in regard to the one I make. I also used one of the very best Italian shaving soaps - Vitos "Rosso" (Red) - a tallow based shaving soap providing a very good slickness with its creamy, fatty and rich lather. I liked this shave quite a lot and, I must say, Mastro Livi Grifetto rocks!​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: Vitos Rosso (Red)
  • Brush: Omega Bristle 80266
  • Bowl: Gerby Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi Grifetto, 6/8 Full Hollow, Round Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Umbrian Extravirgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum

Pre-Shave: Proraso Green Tea pre-shave cream
Razor - Gillette Rocket 'Parat'
Blade - Gillette Française Traitée Nouvelle Technique S-1 1972 (Not to be confused with the previous Gillette Française Traitée which were not manufactured with that ''New Technique'')
Cream - Yardley Gold
A.F: Nivea Original Lotion

I did a classic 3-Pass shave, got one single micro nick under the nose. Overall a good & close shave.

Shave1_zpsb8ctox5z.png

I've no idea if these blades are made of carbon steel or stainless steel, I'll find out soon enough. The blade was sharp, the WTG pass was quite smooth and It didn't feel like a cheap blade on my skin. I'll have to use it a few time before giving my final verdict as those old blades shine on the long run.

Shave2_zps6jhyexu0.png

Status
Not open for further replies.