Shave of the Day 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has a dubious history, coming to my hands in an anonymous dead box drop, disguised as play doh to fool counter agents. I ask no questions and hear no lies. Ignorance is safety in this game

So where was the Don Marco sourced from?
(I have never seen that one sold on this side of the planet)
I bought it direct from Italian Barber. I might perhaps try getting it from Maggards next time (since you can also pick up other brands also) but postage is always the killer.
ShaverHut in Oz stocks some RR products but not many.

30C and a Feather
TABAC!
Old Spice Aftershave.

A real soap only needs one exclamation mark. Any more is the mark of a try hard...

OS is quietly very good. Does what a decent AS should, and smells good. I can't be fussed with those designer man perfumes. I tried, but spending designer money on something to make me smell fancy isn't really me. If the product does the job required AND smells the goods too, well that's a bonus. They're selling this stuff at Coles for $15.

Why are you not there already?

PS Brut is awesome too...

Last edited:
Championing old spice and brut in the same post has tarnished your credibility for saying anything about exclamation marks.

If they could get more than $15 for the stuff they would. Their not running a charity.

and the 70's are calling!

I get this. From blokes who spend $5 on soap. You reckon they could shift Arko for more than that?

A quality product doesn't need to shout, is all I'm saying.

They are doing well to get $5 for Arko, might fetch more with a change of smell

Didn't the OS recipe recently change?

Proraso green today. Not wasting any more exotic sample creams while I can't smell anything with this cold. At least I could feel the menthol. It really is a solid performer. The Cliff Young of soaps

SOTD: Monday 27 October

Brush: Muhle STF
Soap/Cream: Stirling "Bonaparte"
Razor: Standard Razor (black)
Blade: Personna Med Prep [2]
After-shave: Natio for Men AS balm > Pinaud Clubman

The Muhle synthetic lathered up a storm of Stirling scented clouds. (I went for the 21mm knot but reflect the larger 23mm may have been the way to go.) That said, it's a great little brush. I'll be keen to compare it to the Plisson in good time...

A smooth shave with the Standard. I find it gives great audio feedback which is helpful. (Perhaps a benefit of an aluminium razor.) It's very effective at removing the hair with minimum effort.

A little balm and AS lotion and I'm ready for the day.

Brush: Omega 10029 (?)
Soap/Cream: Cella
Razor: Gillette Slim (7)
Blade: Gillette Platinum - Malteser (3)
After-shave: Proraso Green

Thought I'd take the new PIFed brush for a run. I know it's an Omega and I think it's the 10029. Short lofted silver handle. All-in-all not bad. Handle could be heavier but the shape is nice. Still a little scratchy, though not sure how much love it previously got from @SmallYetDeadly so might still need breaking-in, if so I reckon the bristles will soften up nicely. Then again the scratchiness could have been introduced to the brush and simply be residual I couldn't wash from the knot before use. I did get a threatening pro-arko letter in the parcel from SyD and so took all precautions to thoroughly wash the knot before use. Not sure of the calibre of irritant applied to the knot….I don't doubt the lengths these fanbois will go to!
But seriously thanks SyD - really do appreciate it mate.

So in tribute to the brush I used anything Italian I had. Not used Cella in months and I forgot how it explodes into lathery goodness. Amazing stuff and will commit to using it more. Didn't have anything Italian in the hardware department - well not until my Fatip and Belzanos arrive - so I thought I'd at least get the smell of nickel under my nose. Not bad, but after two weeks with nothing but the Weber. I am spoiled. I mean that lump of stainless steel is da best, the Slim couldn't compete!!! Anyway, no nicks or weepers though the Platinum was pulling a little.

Final surprise was the Proraso. I'd have thought nothing could hold a candle to the Speick aftershave lotion, but the Proraso did a nice job of finishing. Forgot how refreshing menthol feels on the face….can't wait for the 444 to arrive now!

All told a decent shave.

Big thanks again to SyD.

SOTD: Tuesday 28 October

Brush: Omega little piggie
Pre-Shave: Proraso Pre/Post Cream
Soap/Cream: Proraso Green
Razor: Progress (3)
Blade: Vintage Schick [?]
After-shave: Myrsol Emulsion

Forgot that I still had a vintage Schick in the razor on its umpteenth shave.
I also forgot that the menthol in the Proraso green line has a nice tang to it. Welcome to Summer shaving!

I've been on a Jermyn St binge for quite a while. One of the Speick sticks has nearly made it inside the house, and when it does I will have to give that a try, but after that I think it's proraso green or something else menthol for the next 6 months!

Meant to shave with one of my new blade "wins" last night, but was determined to use the Speick too, and that was all the way downstairs under the house

Jermyn is my all time favourite scented cream. If there were no other creams left in the world I would be happy using it.

Jermyn is my all time favourite scented cream. If there were no other creams left in the world I would be happy using it.

Agreed Jug agreed! It's also is nice on toast

Razor: Superspeed Red Tip 1955
Blade: Astra Superior Platinum
Cream: Old Spice Original (The scentless new version, at least this stuff make a good lather)

Close shave to the max ! In my top 20 of the year, very agreeable experience.

Tobs Grapefruit!

This biting citrus pierced through my semi blocked nose to still deliver a rindy punch. A lively fresh scent for warmer weather. Now I couldn't help wonder if a bit of menthol would add something here? Anyone tried adding 333 to it? Lather predictably tobs, smooth and creamy, though the scent is punchy it doesn't linger. Er maybe the liberal splashes of bay rum hastened the exit.

Not sure if it would be an everyday or only cream, but a great one for a summer rotation

Must have been about the 8th shave this morning with the Aussie Spoiler. It really has lost it's edge although the shave was in itself just fine.

Simpsons Lavender & Vetiver, Vulfix 374 and the Fatboy as normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.