Shave of the Day 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still believe Canberra/ACT is one of the only places where growing amounts for personal use is decriminalised. Not that it helps me much as:
1. I live in NSW, and
2. I'm definitely not a fan of it smoked...
….though I am a big fan of it harvested as an alternative source of fibre - better for the environment than cotton that's for certain.

I always thought you were near Canberra as it says on your details. I guess NSW can be near Canberra. What the hell, on another scale WA is near Canberra.

It is without doubt one of the best and longest fibres you can grow. Same with bamboo. I'm not sure about the industrial processes and wastes involved in getting bamboo in particular to a state you can use it for the manufacturing of cloth. I'm assuming cotton can basically be just washed and then woven.

I always thought you were near Canberra as it says on your details. I guess NSW can be near Canberra. What the hell, on another scale WA is near Canberra.

It is without doubt one of the best and longest fibres you can grow. Same with bamboo. I'm not sure about the industrial processes and wastes involved in getting bamboo in particular to a state you can use it for the manufacturing of cloth. I'm assuming cotton can basically be just washed and then woven.
Dude you don't want to be next to Canberra, trust me. My excuse stops with 'work' none would choosr the weather, yuppies and vanilla flavoured everything.

Yeah but even just the thirst the cotton plant has makes it an idiotic choice to grow here - just like the geniuses that grow rice here. Oh boy. [emoji30]

Strongly agree with it's use medicinally and as an environmentally friendlier fibre option.

Hemp fibre is great and should be used more often. I had a pair of hemp shorts which were great and lasted for years. I only bought them in a late teenager 'fuck society, fuck the laws, fuck the police' moment of revolt but they ended up being my favourite pair for many years just due to the material characteristics.

I seriously suggest you guy try out Bamboo in various things. You only have to look at the amount of chopping boards in the shops these days that use Bamboo as their major component (some have some wood ends or frames).

Bamboo underwear is THE SHIT. It is almost as soft as silk yet wicks away moisture like crazy. It's massive in Asia and I can see why. @eggbert should be all over it in the topical humidity in Darwin. Bamboo is also great in towels and sheets in hot and humid climates.

Thanks for the heads up on the bamboo RM. Funny hey, that it can be both softer than cotton and stronger than wood. Amazing stuff!

It certainly is amazing stuff and something we could definitely grow here in an arid climate. Plenty of areas in China are just as arid as we have here, and it is quite drought tolerant and also very fast growing. Why we do not grow more of it here I will never know.

You can get the Bamboo underwear from various places, there are a slew of local online stores that sell it, albeit at what is a high price. Even Jockey have released a cotton/bamboo blend range, so I think we will see more and more of it in the local market as word gets out. Worth buying one or two to try it out, but when you can get a 10-pack from Fleabay for $40 it is hard to argue with, especially when you compare the price to local brisk & mortar stores like BigW, KMart, Target etc etc.

Hemp has a similar characteristic - fast growing, does not need much water, and can have multiple uses. Best part is that the low-THC varieties that are used for the textiles & other uses generally give zero high. Why there is not more of it being grown I can only put down to Government policies. That said you can look at what is going on in the US and along with the tide of public opinion forming here and I suggest that within 10 years we will see a massive shift in policy towards what is an amazing plant.

Anyway this has gone so completely off topic (I may create a thread and start moving or deleting posts), so to get back to the topic at hand....

Saturday morning's shave was late - had a shower, got dressed, got a haircut, came back, rinsed off my head and had a shave after.

Blade: Fresh Aussie Spoiler
Razor: Fatboy, set to 9
Brush: Vulfix #374 Super Badger
Soap/Cream: Simpsons Lavender & Vetiver
After-shave: Alum for 30 sec, towelled off (no rinse) followed by Nivea Sensitive Balm

As my partner said, smooth as a baby's butt - except under the chin. Always a trouble spot and have to go ATG there to cut it down yet I get issues when I do.

Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpsons
Soap/Cream: Proraso Sandalwood
Razor: Weber PH w/- Bulldog handle
Blade: Vintage Gillette Super Stainless - Made in France
After-shave: AoS Sandalwood Gel

After mucking around with the Schicks and 'French' Wilks (Made in England but in French packaging) I figured it was time for a Gillette blade.

Grabbed a pack from the drawer and what did I find?

Sorry - back post flight!

These are what I found - Gillette Super Stainless - Made in France!

Never seen these before (but that is not saying much)

........That said you can look at what is going on in the US and along with the tide of public opinion forming here and I suggest that within 10 years we will see a massive shift in policy towards what is an amazing plant......

The US actually suspended their anti hemp at all cost policy during the second world war when they needed it desperately. After that the cotton/wool lobby got their monopoly back. I would like to know (without having to google it because that gets boring and I actually never really trust the info anyhow) aside from growing it what the differences in manufacturing costs/environmental impact are.

It almost seems like you fly just for the sake of it! [emoji4]

Got to keep my Platinum FF status somehow!

Seriously though - it gets a little dreary ...

I decided to give the P.160 Morbido one last chance...

Frank Shave Silvertip
Gillette Rocket HD
Personna Lab Blue
Alum
L'Oreal ASG

I will lever that POS Italian garbage out of my nice bowl this weekend and PiF it to Borko.

I also erred with my selection of the L'oreal After Shave Gel. I had the balm previously and it was really quite good. I saw "Ice Effect" advertised on this one and thought I might be getting some menthol goodness. Just like an alcohol splash with some thickeners in it really and not a great one at that for my skin. if you are oily it might be pretty good. You win some/you lose some I guess with the supermarket brands.

Attachments

• 13.10.14.JPG
    13.10.14.JPG
    422.8 KB · Views: 4
CA4OweN.jpg

Today's shave consisted of:
  • Gillette Executive
  • Astra SS
  • Windsor Shave Soap
  • Omega 49

Phew. Like it! Good honest set-up - not like the Acqua di Palma and Martin de Candre types we mainly get on here.
Yep - not much into getting fancy about things when what I have currently works a treat! Will admit to not being too fond of Brut: but it was on special and I do love alcohol based AS Splashes.

I decided to give the P.160 Morbido one last chance...

I will lever that POS Italian garbage out of my nice bowl this weekend and PiF it to Borko.

It's probably just hardened, dried out and then heat affected. Looked abysmal in the photos. Maybe I need to send you some 'fresh' stuff and see what you think.

It is pretty much Cella by a different name, different scent (Marzipan sweetness instead of a stright Almond - but it is close!) and lathers really well.

Meanwhile, same again for me this morning. Another good shave.

It's probably just hardened, dried out and then heat affected. Looked abysmal in the photos. Maybe I need to send you some 'fresh' stuff and see what you think.

It is pretty much Cella by a different name, different scent (Marzipan sweetness instead of a stright Almond - but it is close!) and lathers really well.

Meanwhile, same again for me this morning. Another good shave.

Damn it..I meant the tipo Duro.

The morbido is good stuff. Much the same as Cella as you say.

Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpsons
Soap/Cream: T&H Trafalgar
Razor: Weber PH w/- Bulldog handle
Blade: Vintage Gillette Super Stainless - Made in France - Shave 2
After-shave: Lucky Tiger
Cologne: T&H Grafton

No flying for me today (delays due to the storms in SYD yesterday meant I left home at 5;40 and arrived home at 10:40) but cloudy and overcast - so lets do a summery type selection to make us feel better!

Nice shave with the French SS. Gotta love these vintage blades.

Brush: Omega 31025 ' Scarlatti'
Soap/Cream: Frankensoap - grated Arlington, Palmolive (euro), Speick
Razor: Gillette Slim (7)
Blade: Gillette Platinum
After-shave: Speick lotion

A-team line-up is packed in toiletries case for departure tomorrow, B-team stuff is packed in a box to unclutter the bathroom for our farm-minder, so used the C-team - residual stuff in the drawer - this morning. Did so with great apprehension. But ended up with an damn fine shave!

The Omega has me reevaluating the pig-options, so soft on the face, I have a Smog 1305 on the way from G&C so we'll see how they compare.

But biggest surprise was the razor.

As documented earlier I've not gotten on well with the Slim. Seems scratchy - esp. with my favourite blades Red IP, Gillette Black and PSS (Permasharp Super). But the combo of the Slim on 7 and loaded with a Gillette Platinum was magic. 4 day growth mown without tugging and neatened up nicely. I'll try a Platinum in the Weber while I'm away to see how it goes , but I am impressed with the marriage of these Gillettes.

NB: not sure if the Platinum is vintage - as it came in my RM vinatage-taster stash - nothing much on the blade but the wrapper says "Distributed by Proctor & Gamble UK"

This Speick stuff is awesome - nuff said!

Status
Not open for further replies.