Shave of the Day 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not too sure what there's such passionate hatred towards Semogue either.
My experience with their customer service is nothing short of exemplary.
Vie Long on the other hand...

I have nothing against Semogue…but boars more generally. Really the whippet of brush fibres really.
I pity the man who has become desperate enough to lather up arko with a boar and then because of his unfortunate circumstance - and simply being down on his luck - passes it off as something he values, and is good…then again hobo chic is all the rage nowadays so...

The boar is a prince among animals! Didn't you ever read Asterix and Obelix SH?

What contribution has the badger made? Second fiddle to a toad in wind in the willows? Hardly the stuff legends are made of!

[/bizarrestrawmanargument]
Those Gauls were formative to my growing up. Think I read ever single one of them.

I don't know 'bout your reasoning SyD, but let's pursue it anyways. So looking at mythology - and let's just focus on characters Oriental - I think I'd prefer Mujina the shape-shifting badger than….

I don't know 'bout your reasoning SyD, but let's pursue it anyways. So looking at mythology - and let's just focus on characters Oriental - I think I'd prefer Mujina the shape-shifting badger than….

Seriously Stills, where do you find that stuff...? :headshake:

Scary how your last few posting has been about bare-chested, half naked middle aged men!?!!

Razor: Gillette Super Speed Red Tip 1955
Blade: Gillette Spoiler 1971 ( Seventh and last shave for this one)
Cream: Taylor Of Old Bond Street - Coconut
A.F: Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island ''Bushfire'' Bay Rum

It's been a while since I used this AF, it burn even when you performed a good shave with a proper technic and it's like applying lava on your face when you got a bad shave BUT it cleanses all the evil spirits who dwells around.

Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpsons
Soap/Cream: Proraso 'Red' Sandalwood cream
Razor: Weber PH w/- Bulldog handle
Blade: Vintage Schick - shave 19
After-shave: AoS Sandalwood aftershave gel

Seriously wondering how far I can push this blade. Maybe I should just keep going with it and see how long it will last?

Don't do that. Refit one of your old handles with a boar knot from TGN. Easy to do. Just make sure the handle can take a 22mm knot. An old Ever Ready handle is great for that.

Hmmm, now there is an idea ....

Not too sure what there's such passionate hatred towards Semogue either.
My experience with their customer service is nothing short of exemplary.
Vie Long on the other hand...

It's nothing to do with Semogue the company. It's Semogue the brush.

Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpsons
Soap/Cream: TOBS Shaver Shop cream
Razor: Weber PH w/- Bulldog handle
Blade: Vintage Schick - shave 21
After-shave: Olgallala Bay Rum with Limes and Peppercorns

Well we made it - shave 21!

It was an OK shave, certainly as good as most jobs with a cart but I don't think I will push this one any more.

Brush: Aesop Silvertip Fibre
Soap/Cream: Tabac
Razor: Muhle R41
Blade: IP Red
After-shave: Speick lotion

I have to say right from the get-go that I had very, very low expectations of this shave. So what follows is written in that context. I was using a brush for the first time - and a synthetic at that - and the dreaded pass-around Muhle R41. Hence, I decided I'd try this on the weekend - and a long weekend so the scars might heal a little before work.

So I was almost numb with the prospect before even turning on the tap. What blade to use? I narrowed it down to a field of 15 or so. However, in the end I went with the IP Reds. Firstly because they have been good to me thus far …and the Israeli edge might balance out the all German affair (note I believe the Aesop is loaded with Muhle STF2 fibre). Anyway so with hands a shaking I loaded up the IP Red. Thoughts on the best soap to use were not so hard, I've gotten to know the Tabac over the last month (during my Single in September fidelity challenge), so at least one thing should be OK…or so I thought!

First up the brush…
Just to make sure everything was right I loaded up and lathered using the Drubbing Way* - economical the whole way especially mindful in the prudent expenditure in water. So face lathering for the first time with a synthetic. Gave it a decent 20 second load up on the Tabac puck and then added water and built the lather up on my face. In a word this brush is "AMAZING". So soft on the face - it is oddly a tiny bit less soft wet than dry - it felt weird not feeling that Simpsons Best scratch. The knot let go the lather impeccably and most surprisingly was the amount of control the brush gave me. For a brush that soft - far softer than my EJ Super - the brush maintained both backbone and a tight tip. Both the Duke and Classic (2s) splay more than this. This brush was an absolute pleasure to use and I feel it will serve me beyond its intended role as a travel brush.

Second up the razor…
I'm not going to pretend like I wasn't scared. I mean I knew this piece of metal would want blood. As I loaded the blade I found my hand shaking, I thought it was merely in response to some subconscious fear but no it was not just me, it was the razor that caused the movement, it sat there in my hand laughing at me. Cackling like a demented old hag. Anyway I need only successfully complete a single stroke, pay my blood dues, and pass it back knowing I tried it. Creative visualisation is a powerful psychological tool and I could not help but visualise that generous lather of Tabac yoghurt turning pink at the crest….oh GOD why am I doing this….I don't have to do this…I don't have to do anything! But no, after my experiences with the Feathers I thought it is something I just got to do and chalk up to experience. Hands shaking I settled the metal to my skin, took a deep breathe, eyes closed and let gravity do the work down the right sideburn. Eyes open, and how much blood? Well none…next stroke, uneventful too. Hmmm…OK well my new objective was to complete a full pass. That would show them on P&C. Show them I am a man. Well I finished the first pass with success. Not a single bleeder. Fuck it, let's go a second. Long story short, three passes done - WTG, 2x XTG, with some clean-up ATG, and I got to say this was in my shaving experiences top five. The shave (90% XTG) left me with something as close, if not closer, than a full ATG pass with another razor. Incredible….how does it do it? And the blade, oh how it sang!!!! Will I buy an R41 - how I feel right now as I pass my fingers across my face is Hell Yes!

Third up the lotion…
I'm not going to bang on about this stuff here. This Speick stuff smells good and feels good. Get it, use it, love it!

I am utterly gobsmacked. A lot of first time stuff being used here - and a damned liberal amount of adrenaline into the mix - and I absolutely loved it. A top five shave!

Last edited:
Brush: Aesop Silvertip Fibre
Soap/Cream: Tabac
Razor: Muhle R41
Blade: IP Red
After-shave: Speick lotion

I have to say right from the get-go that I had very, very low expectations of this shave. So what follows is written in that context. I was using a brush for the first time - and a synthetic at that - and the dreaded pass-around Muhle R41. Hence, I decided I'd try this on the weekend - and a long weekend so the scars might heal a little before work.

So I was almost numb with the prospect before even turning on the tap. What blade to use? I narrowed it down to a field of 15 or so. However, in the end I went with the IP Reds. Firstly because they have been good to me thus far …and the Israeli edge might balance out the all German affair (note I believe the Aesop is loaded with Muhle STF2 fibre). Anyway so with hands a shaking I loaded up the IP Red. Thoughts on the best soap to use were not so hard, I've gotten to know the Tabac over the last month (during my Single in September fidelity challenge), so at least one thing should be OK…or so I thought!

First up the brush…
Just to make sure everything was right I loaded up and lathered using the Drubbing Way* - economical the whole way especially mindful in the prudent expenditure in water. So face lathering for the first time with a synthetic. Gave it a decent 20 second load up on the Tabac puck and then added water and built the lather up on my face. In a word this brush is "AMAZING". So soft on the face - it is oddly a tiny bit less soft wet than dry - it felt weird not feeling that Simpsons Best scratch. The knot let go the lather impeccably and most surprisingly was the amount of control the brush gave me. For a brush that soft - far softer than my EJ Super - the brush maintained both backbone and a tight tip. Both the Duke and Classic (2s) splay more than this. This brush was an absolute pleasure to use and I feel it will serve me beyond its intended role as a travel brush.

Second up the razor…
I'm not going to pretend like I wasn't scared. I mean I knew this piece of metal would want blood. As I loaded the blade I found my hand shaking, I thought it was merely in response to some subconscious fear but no it was not just me, it was the razor that caused the movement, it sat there in my hand laughing at me. Cackling like a demented old hag. Anyway I need only successfully complete a single stroke, pay my blood dues, and pass it back knowing I tried it. Creative visualisation is a powerful psychological tool and I could not help but visualise that generous lather of Tabac yoghurt turning pink at the crest….oh GOD why am I doing this….I don't have to do this…I don't have to do anything! But no, after my experiences with the Feathers I thought it is something I just got to do and chalk up to experience. Hands shaking I settled the metal to my skin, took a deep breathe, eyes closed and let gravity do the work down the right sideburn. Eyes open, and how much blood? Well none…next stroke, uneventful too. Hmmm…OK well my new objective was to complete a full pass. That would show them on P&C. Show them I am a man. Well I finished the first pass with success. Not a single bleeder. Fuck it, let's go a second. Long story short, three passes done - WTG, 2x XTG, with some clean-up ATG, and I got to say this was in my shaving experiences top five. The shave (90% XTG) left me with something as close, if not closer, than a full ATG pass with another razor. Incredible….how does it do it? And the blade, oh how it sang!!!! Will I buy an R41 - how I feel right now as I pass my fingers across my face is Hell Yes!

Third up the lotion…
I'm not going to bang on about this stuff here. This Speick stuff smells good and feels good. Get it, use it, love it!

I am utterly gobsmacked. A lot of first time stuff being used here - and a damned liberal amount of adrenaline into the mix - and I absolutely loved it. A top five shave!

Nice to hear how the brush went with applying lather.

So Stillsy... Beginner's luck with the R41? [emoji13] Would you try it again for another shave to see if you get the same result?

Perhaps if you like stubble-chewing razors, you might care to also taste the Futur? [emoji6]

Nice to hear how the brush went with applying lather.

So Stillsy... Beginner's luck with the R41? [emoji13] Would you try it again for another shave to see if you get the same result?

Perhaps if you like stubble-chewing razors, you might care to also taste the Futur? [emoji6]

No sweat. But not only will I try it again, I'm buying myself one. However, I believe this loaner was a 2011 R41 and I'm on the hunt now for a 2013 version. Onshore it looks like Shaverhut is the place…might even jazz up with a rose gold handled model - la de da…

Ultimately, I feel bad for this razor having stagnated and want to get it moving again (back to @JugV2 ). Waiting for his PM advising where to next. I'm off on holiday soon and want this on its way. I mean, I don't want the reputation others have received sitting on this razor for months….and I don't got a mailboy to blame :whistle:

P.S. If you haven't you should give this one a go filo. It's very, very surprising. So close with so little effort.

P.S. If you haven't you should give this one a go filo. It's very, very surprising. So close with so little effort.

Maybe I ought to... I know there was someone else keen. Was it @Shred or @Question? Someone newer than us...

Status
Not open for further replies.