September 2014 Acquisitions thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just received an interesting straight razor today. Light hone with a barber hone and then 50+ on a pasted strop. Ok shave. 3-4 passes.
The razor is a "Thistle Cut Co", location is New York, USA. The blade has a strange design on it. A flag with an Elephant on it... Siam Flag. Date is probably before 1939.

Sorry, hopefully it will work this time. I've only just found I can upload and not just link and image.
Can you edit your own posts?

Mark - its marked with BR PAT No. 2876302, I've been told its probably made in Leicester approx. 1909

Looks great! Nice work with the elbow grease.

Did you use anything to polish it?

Well peoples my new acquisition is now legally mine. At 4pm today I became officially retired. Herself has managed to fill up half a ream of A4 paper with odd and assorted jobs for me - so retired is one thing idle is well off on the horizon.

Looks great! Nice work with the elbow grease.

Did you use anything to polish it?
I used baking soda/aluminium foil/near boiling water for 2 baths.
Still has a little bit of tarnish on the handle.
The top plate I haven't gotten shiny yet, not sure if its lost a bit of plating - looks like it has a few swirl marks in it.

After the baths I used a little bit of silvo polish.

My plan for the weekend is to spend a bit more time with the polish.

Well peoples my new acquisition is now legally mine. At 4pm today I became officially retired. Herself has managed to fill up half a ream of A4 paper with odd and assorted jobs for me - so retired is one thing idle is well off on the horizon.

Let the fun and games begin!
Is it congratulations? Good stuff!

Sorry, hopefully it will work this time. I've only just found I can upload and not just link and image.
Can you edit your own posts?

Yes, you need to upload somewhere and then link. You cannot 'attach' files.

You can edit your own posts once certain conditions have been met. So basically, be a part of the community and it will open up to you.

This requires it's own thread, with info such as what you were previously employed as, your plans etc.
Congratulations if the retirement is desired.
Commiserations if forced upon you.

This requires it's own thread, with info such as what you were previously employed as, your plans etc.
Congratulations if the retirement is desired.
Commiserations if forced upon you.
My choice, about 10 months earlier than I anticipated, quite happy to supply all the info you want - send me a PM if you really want to know.

Congratulations!!! Remember my 1st day. Feels good, doesn't it?[emoji41]

Well I'm confused - what have you acquired?

Retirement or a long list of odd jobs?

In any event - congrats! :)

I used baking soda/aluminium foil/near boiling water for 2 baths.
Still has a little bit of tarnish on the handle.
The top plate I haven't gotten shiny yet, not sure if its lost a bit of plating - looks like it has a few swirl marks in it.

After the baths I used a little bit of silvo polish.

My plan for the weekend is to spend a bit more time with the polish.

Looks great - a recent eBay purchase I missed out on? Should I make you an offer ?

I can't recall the theories about the British Patents and source of production from YKW but certainly a Brit.

Go easy on the Silvo. It is better than brasso but some of the better silver polishes are gentler and you only need a little :)

@GThomas, I always felt an incredible levity whenever I left a job. Needless to say that getting the sack was even a better high than what they were sacking me for.

Retirement sounds like a relief, well except for the dreaded list.

Why cannot we ever just sit back and relax for a bit. (The Matrix?)

Mate you have done your bit, so at least enjoy the few miserable years you have left :)

All the best mate.

Last edited:
Funny I was considreing it too:)

Must admit I was a bit surprised to be the only bidder. Watched the last 2 minutes of the auction waiting for the surge of snipers but nobody showed. I just thought it would make a nice bit of memorabilia as long as the box is in reasonable nick. Nice to have the original instructions as well.

It will be a nice talking point - not sure it will actually do anything though!

Well this is a nice little treat. For sale at a price I couldn't resist YKW -

Love the aftershave balm now I have the Cologne to match :)

Lookee what just arrived in the post today... Thanks Drubs!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410342771.049921.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.