Plisson Synthetic

In this case though I assume you'd more likely split that pine stained donor handle and extract the knot entire and simply glue into the recipient handle. Looks a pretty standard size so shouldn't be a drama - esp. if the hole in the recipient handle is a little bigger.

Yep. He's done some lovely work.
Yeah really like the look of this one...
attachment.php

...just wish there was an easy way to drop the loft a little - just 5mm or so.

Works for me. You generally need to be logged in at YKW before it will show. This is because it is a VB attachment, and not a directly linked photo.

Surely gunrunningpreacherman still has access ?

Yeah really like the look of this one...
attachment.php

...just wish there was an easy way to drop the loft a little - just 5mm or so.

For those who cannot see the link above here it is as a direct link...been too built up now though....

yUojhli.jpg

Image Credit: Rudy Vey.

He does some beautiful work - if I ever decide on a truly custom brush he would be definitely my top choice

Hmmmm interesting that other folks had issues with the knot falling out - though I think thats somewhat poor given that I'd like to think a company like Plisson could have ensured all the wood was fully treated to ensure a fully waterproof finish. I'm always a tad dubious of wooden handles so before used at all I gave my Plisson 2-3 coats of a Estapol type finish right up and just over the lip of the metal knot holder. Has actually made it more tactile as I didn't sand it between coats.

Full of respect for the worksmanship of those Rudy Vey's but there's some very uggbear looking handles in there and others I'd really question the handling/feel of - I think the original looks and handles great, which is somewhat fortuitous but surprised so many others wish to change it for either aesthetics or function.

The handle I have is modern so it'll most likely be in a cup. I thought it was trickier than what you say as I gathered you needed to drill out the knot. I don't have that sort of gear. If there was a Bloke's Shed nearby fitted out with a drill (and lathe!!) I'd be a happy chap indeed.

Depends. If it's a straightforward vintage brush it's easily doable as the glue used in those days comes out easy. If it's got a metal ring or cup it becomes a lot harder and if it's a contemporary brush with or without a metal ring/cup I wouldn't bother if you've never done it before. Steaming does work but is brutal and can stuff your handle up.

I haven't read this whole thread but I'm assuming we're talking about trying to take a cupped knot out of a wooden handle? If that's the case, carefully destroy the handle and retrieve the knot, cup and all. However unlike Rudy Vey who can shove one of his handles on a lathe, you'll have problems finding a handle with the exact aperture internal dimension to match the external dimension of the cup. Without a lathe (even a dremel would be tricky) I personally wouldn't bother. Of course you could send the whole lot over to Mr. Vey but you might as well fork our for a brand new brush with a decent handle.

I haven't read this whole thread but I'm assuming we're talking about trying to take a cupped knot out of a wooden handle? If that's the case, carefully destroy the handle and retrieve the knot, cup and all. However unlike Rudy Vey who can shove one of his handles on a lathe, you'll have problems finding a handle with the exact aperture internal dimension to match the external dimension of the cup. Without a lathe (even a dremel would be tricky) I personally wouldn't bother. Of course you could send the whole lot over to Mr. Vey but you might as well fork our for a brand new brush with a decent handle.
If I'd ever considered doing this, I would definitely let Mr. Vey buy the brush as well - a lot cheaper than getting it here for 100$ and then sending it to him...don't think it is worth it anyway. Will try the rubber band trick and see, if a shorter loft actually does feel any better...

Hmmmm interesting that other folks had issues with the knot falling out - though I think thats somewhat poor given that I'd like to think a company like Plisson could have ensured all the wood was fully treated to ensure a fully waterproof finish.

Mate I fear many punters might be forcing the issue in order to accelerate the custom handle requirement...

I enquires about a custom boar some weeks ago out of interest and that was pretty pricey at about $80usd delivered . That is quality badger territory.

Mate I fear many punters might be forcing the issue in order to accelerate the custom handle requirement...
*urgh* Mate, I think *mutter profanities under his breath* that you may *come on* have erred upon the *grunts* wrong side of the matter here *shakes head in resignation*, now can you grab the other end of this brush and twist clockwise whilst pulling, as for the life of me, I'm unable to remove this stupid faulty knot by myself! *glares at the resisting item of attention*