July 2015 Acquisition Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
She actually loves all the scents and the rituals involved in shaving. My father loved this scent and we would buy it for him. Scent is a great trigger for memories and this scent brings back wonderful thoughts and memories and perhaps create memories of our own.

Indeed that is true and an oft overlooked part of the entire experience :)
I must admit to curiosity over this traditional scent...

Indeed that is true and an oft overlooked part of the entire experience :)
I must admit to curiosity over this traditional scent...
Tom Ford has produced his own interpretation of this scent, called Neroli Portofino, and it is just brilliant, one of my favourites.

Tom Ford has produced his own interpretation of this scent, called Neroli Portofino, and it is just brilliant, one of my favourites.
Sounds then like you're on a winner already.

Tom Ford can be found at David Jones and Myer.:)
Osman, let me introduce you to Will, proprietor from @Barrister & Mann
You will find that Will also also is passionate about osmology, funnily enough.
If you're able to experience his colognes or after shaves, I highly recommend it :)
Some will challenge you, some you will fall deeply within and find yourself immersed deeply within and others will become staples of your rotation.

Osman, let me introduce you to Will, proprietor from @Barrister & Mann
You will find that Will also also is passionate about osmology, funnily enough.
If you're able to experience his colognes or after shaves, I highly recommend it :)
Some will challenge you, some you will fall deeply within and find yourself immersed deeply within and others will become staples of your rotation.
Now your talking my language. Scent is a fairly important part of this whole experience.

Now your talking my language. Scent is a fairly important part of this whole experience.
Fairly ?
Let me demonstrate how correct you really are.
Who likes ARKO!!! ?
What of it's scent compared to it's primary performance ?

Fairly ?
Who likes ARKO!!! ?
Yep talked yourself right into your own gurgling circular argument mate. Wretched stuff that I'd not clean my cistern with....

Fairly ?
Who likes ARKO!!! ?
Agree I do not use arko. We are in the fortunate position of being able to choose a soap on performance and scent.:)

....Who likes ARKO!!! ?....
Well, as you ask.....I do.
.....What of it's scent compared to it's primary performance ?........
The scent is cheap....the performance is second to none. I think most peoples real objection to Arko is the fact that it performs as good as or better than stuff with fancy prices and fancy names yet costs less than the shipping needed to get these products. Sure the scent is average but doesn't bother me.

The scent is cheap....the performance is second to none. I think most peoples real objection to Arko is the fact that it performs as good as or better than stuff with fancy prices and fancy names yet costs less than the shipping needed to get these products. Sure the scent is average but doesn't bother me.
Yep and most whiskeys have somewhere around 40% alcohol content. After 8 shots, you'll get to a similar place either way.

Yeah the logic is there, but....

...I'll stick with a nice single malt and my MdC thanks.

Yep and most whiskeys have somewhere around 40% alcohol content. After 8 shots, you'll get to a similar place either way.

Yeah the logic is there, but....

...I'll stick with a nice single malt and my MdC thanks.
In agreement with you on this. its just a personal preference thing.

IMHO once you start second guessing/looking for validation on the 'value' of scent in shaving soaps it's a dangerous path to walk.

I guess the things I'd state as irrefutable truths upfront are:

- the scent of the shaving soap generally only is present in concentrations enough to be noticed WHILST one is shaving (so 5-15 min window) - even the most potent ones will struggle to leave much of a presence after proper washing off and subsequent product applications which are often scented differently themselves.g ASB, moisturiser etc

- in any given makers range of soaps e.g Mike's, CRSW, B&M - the actual base soap formulation (which makes up ~98%+ of the product) will be the same between different soaps with ONLY the scent compounds being changed (sub-product lines might change base formulations from each other e.g tallow, vegan lines) - so you'll often be buying heaps of essentially the same product, just with a different scent.

- the scent provides zero tangible improvement in the actual lather quality vs same product in unscented. That said I would expect possibly a significant PERCEPTION difference to occur as the right scent can impart a sense of many things - which though untrue will seem to improve the shaving experience e.g citrus might make you feel cleaner etc

- and it's also important to note that the vast majority of people place significant value on scents & feel that if manipulated well they improve the quality of almost ANY product.

So really if you try and look objectively how ACTUALLY important is scent in making a great shaving soap? On the face of things I'd say not that much - it's kind of a nice value add but it SHOULD be well down the list of what folks look for in a shaving soap.

HOWEVER, it's not and probably never well be - even for me, so we do tend to disproportionately overvalue it's place in things - and I think nearly everyone here is more than fine with that - but make no mistake that IS what it is.

Cost wise for the top shaving soap makers like B&M etc I'd say that despite using the hot process for their soap making (which uses a lot less scent compounds than cold processed soaps) they'd still be putting 30-40% plus of their overall unit costs into scent compounds (EO/FO). That is a LOT for a very small % of the product, that doesn't improve the actual lather quality and is active in the use of the product for only the few minutes it's being lathered.

I'd also guess that the vast majority of artisan soap makers spend most of their time spent on the actual product's R&D are blending scents and NOT trying to tweak the base soap formulation. Because it's the scent that really sells and separates them from others - plus it's the trickiest aspect to master.

And like I say I'M as guilty as anyone on this as the vast majority of my ~30 shaving soaps are from the same couple of handful of companies. It's an interesting area, completely illogical on many levels but irrefutably important to the vast majority of us. :)

Well, as you ask.....I do.

Agreed - the performance is just as good as the more expensive soaps in my collection. Sure, I would prefer if it smelled like a Fougere or like I Coloniali but the lather is top notch.

So, I think I've illustrated my point :)

Agreed - the performance is just as good as the more expensive soaps in my collection. Sure, I would prefer if it smelled like a Fougere or like I Coloniali but the lather is top notch.
But doesn't looking at the ingredient list for Arko make you shudder? Performance may be good to great, but at what cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.