April 2014 Acquisitions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
What're you fermenting? Are you moonshining or making sauerkraut?
Beer! Do we have any home brewer's here? Brew-in-a-Bag, using grain and a big tea bag. It is the easy way to brew with grain, I've just started again after not brewing for many years and before that was cans of goop.

The plan wirh the RPi is to get it to a point where I can log into a web interface and change the temperature. I am using a freezer I have in the garage and by interupting the power supply I should be able to make it run at any temp, so it will work as a fermenter at 18°C or a fridge at 3°C or a freezer at -17.375°C. I am going to interupt the power by building a box with an outlet and plugging the freezer into it, I don't plan or endorse cutting the circuit on your freezer.

But first I have to get the basics working and an ethernet line to the garage.

EDIT - I can read the temp of one probe!!!

No problem. I would also recommend mycuppa.com.au. I've only tried Jeff's roasted beans so far but they are so cheap consolidated to elsewhere.

Just had a look and bookmarked for the future so thanks again . I have a few roasts ahead of me for now, tomorrow I might fire up the Baby .

And I need another lesson with the behmor

Oh, thought they were here already.
Unfortunately not and the way my luck is with international post, it's a gamble at best if I do get them (or at least how it feels).

It has arrived! My latest acquisition with a $A1 coin for size comparison

Needs a bit of a clean up and possibly a re-knot, that knot doesn't look in great condition at this stage, but definitely a vintage butterscotch Simmo...

I should have included dimensions!

Handle diameter: 34mm
Handle height: 47mm
Knot diameter: 19mm
Loft: 48mm

Last edited:
definitely a vintage butterscotch Simmo...

Pfffff......how do you know? I guess going by the missing sticker-typical of their appalling quality control-it could be a Simpson. OK, it's a nice looking brush. Always like the deeper cut away at the lower end of a handle as it provides such a good grip. Light rub with the lowest grit wet and dry followed by a polish with a good cutting compound will make it shine. Knot doesn't look too bad. Worth a try before you decide to get it re-knotted.

Yep - with a bit of a clean up the knot could be OK. We will just see.

Now to find some room for it too!

My brushes from Mark arrived!

Chubby 1 & Made Rite. They are both in beautiful condition.

He also included some great samples and stuff which was very generous of him.

I can see why butterscotch is greatly admired, the Little Made Rite just sort of shines from within.

It is really small but I can't wait to try it out.

The Chubby just looks so cute, the fat little thing. I nearly ate it as it has a nice vinegar aroma.

Mark gave me directions for before use so I will do that straight away. Thanks mate.

A happy shopper I am.

Bought one of Mark's brushes. I know, shonky dealer, but he has the goods…

Also ordered a 28cm De Buyer pan that PJ can't get to work. I was going to get a different size cast, but I can't find anyone anywhere, where postage doesn't become a pain. Also want to try something a bit different, without the weight and hot handles. The larger Teflon I have is starting to mark and degrade (3-4 years old?), and the smaller one went in the bin after the cast arrived.

Did you get the Carbone or the Mineral B, Drubs?

Bought one of Mark's brushes. I know, shonky dealer, but he has the goods…

Also ordered a 28cm De Buyer pan that PJ can't get to work. I was going to get a different size cast, but I can't find anyone anywhere, where postage doesn't become a pain. Also want to try something a bit different, without the weight and hot handles..........

Which brush did you buy?

Although I haven't got the pan to work yet -mainly due to none use ATM- the handle does stay cool.

Think it's the Erskine. THe Culmak looked good, but probably too close to the one I have.

Ummm, Houston ...

'Klenzo looks good, I think the handle looks more ergo.' - so this is what I posted - hope this is OK!

I just found out why I wasn't allowed to buy one of @Mark1966 's brushes. The wife ordered me a 10005 and some jermyn street cream from Connaughts.

Result!
Although I do still like that erskine.

A lot

Last edited:
Ummm, Houston ...

'Klenzo looks good, I think the handle looks more ergo.' - so this is what I posted - hope this is OK!
Mate I'm having a family nightmare Easter. I can't remember what I bought or what beer I'm on.
And there's 4 more days of this shit to plough through.

Status
Not open for further replies.