2024 Shaving Acquisitions Thread

Wow that cost a lot. If your lovely wife asks it was 1/5 of the price. I will back you to the hilt.
Thanks, I might just need that :oops:

See what I mean about libations... :facepalm: Maybe I need to set a time-delay on my PayPal account. It'll definitely have to be the last one though. I wouldn't want to have to explain this on my deathbed.

Last edited:
The seller accepted my offer last weekend and I received this Le Grelot 193 6/8 full hollow "ROYAL CANADA" around noon today. Spent a couple of hours cleaning & polishing and I am happy with the results. I wanted to retain the gold wash so I applied clear nail polish to it before getting in to it. When I finished, a bit of nail polish remover (acetone) removed the polish without damaging the gold wash. Tomorrow I will set the bevel and run it through the stones. Hoping to shave with it Saturday morning. Here are the before (seller's photo) and after photos.

Before
LG.jpg

After
LG2.jpg
Amazing👍🏻❤️

I love using this razor. It’s the only Italian razor in my collection. A 7/8 full hollow. It was made by Nicola Mastropietro (1877-1973) in Campobasso, Italy around 1900. Nicola was a well-known cutler affectionately nicknamed by the locals, “The Poet of Steel”.

Last month my wife asked me, “what do you want for your birthday”? So, I sent it to Dion at DC Blades for new scales (Black/Red G10). Just got it back late Friday.

To compliment it, @TroyTools made a Black/Red handle for me.

B-day3.jpg

1909 newspaper ad:
05-pubblicita1909.webp
Absolutely beautiful ❤️

Interested to see how this performs for you. I have a couple of big boar Zeniths that are absolutely gorgeous brushes, so soft, only problem is they are shedders.

First shave today. I have been palm lathering once a day all week to deal with the funk. It is still there, but only barely so. All up, it has probably shed as many hairs as my Semogue, around half a dozen, so about one a day if that. It is starting to give up the lather, I made three passes today and while the last was a bit skimpy, it was workable. Face feel is fantastic! :)

First shave today. I have been palm lathering once a day all week to deal with the funk. It is still there, but only barely so. All up, it has probably shed as many hairs as my Semogue, around half a dozen, so about one a day if that. It is starting to give up the lather, I made three passes today and while the last was a bit skimpy, it was workable. Face feel is fantastic! :)
I had one synthetic Yaqi that never stopped shedding and one that stopped thank goodness. I like the synthetics because you don't have to soak them and I think they still do well. I do have some boars and badgers to compare it to. Sure it's not quite as plush as a badger but they aren't bad! I do have another synthetic... some Italian one... and it doesn't have nearly as many bristles so it is a bit of a poor second cousin.

I had one synthetic Yaqi that never stopped shedding and one that stopped thank goodness. I like the synthetics because you don't have to soak them and I think they still do well. I do have some boars and badgers to compare it to. Sure it's not quite as plush as a badger but they aren't bad! I do have another synthetic... some Italian one... and it doesn't have nearly as many bristles so it is a bit of a poor second cousin.
The world of synthetics is a large and strange place. So long as you don't expect them to behave exactly like badgers, you can enjoy them for what they are. At what I consider to be the very top of the tree, I recommend the AP Shave Co G5C, set as high in the handle as you can. They're expensive, but worth every penny.

At the bottom of the tree there are some truly horrible ones. I had a 28mm flat-top Silksmoke from AP that was truly terrible. I didn't think anyone else deserved that much punishment, so I didn't attempt to sell it or give it away, I just threw it in the bin.

But I have never had an AP knot shed hairs.