Plisson Synthetic

OK, time to add my 2 cents to this thread:

I have now used the Plission for 6 shaves in a row and every time with a different soap (Mike's, Stirling old and new, Otoko, RazorRock King of The Castle, The Beach) and the lather production in all six cases was: SENSATIONAL!

There, I said it. As already mentioned here before, the brush brings out the best of every soap - and with ease. I have the impression you can't do anything wrong, too wet, too dry, load long or short - you always get perfect lather, just the amount changes. This for me is maybe the biggest difference to my other brushes, especially my denser ones: you can produce a lot or little lather - but the lather will be always of the same quality...PERFECT.

But, of course I have to throw in some negatives: I really don't like the face feel of it.

Actually it would be more correct to say: there is no face feel. Rudy Vey summed it up pretty perfectly: if feels like at wet mob on my face - I agree. My WD Silvertip has tons of ex-foliation in comparison and I don't even want go think about a boar or my WD High Mountain...

I also really don't like the handle. The form is uncomfortable for me and it is also very slippery. And while I somehow like the light handle of my Omega 49 - hey it is plastic and red and doesn't pretend otherwise - a wood handle should feel different IMO.

So for the price I paid (40AU$ + delivery) it was a fantastic bargain and it is a great travel brush and perfect for those days when in a hurry...

But I would really like to try a shorter loft version of this with a decent handle...problem is it would cost ~100$+ and I am not sure it would be worth it.

And my big question to all the (high end) brush aficionados: which knot produces lather of the same quality with this much ease?

Great 2c @alfredus . I agree with all your sentiments. The face feel is ultimately the reason I cannot use this brush. I've moved to mainly bowl lathering so I am almost tempted to build the lather with the Plisson and then actually apply to my face with a more worthy brush - thinking the Thater Silvertip. Come to think of it the brush that builds a lather just as tight for me in the bowl is the Semogue 1305....and it feels good on the face. Talking about feeling good on the face...
Rudy Vey summed it up pretty perfectly: if feels like at wet mob on my face - I agree.
LMAO - almost literally - love the imagery of a wet mob on someone's face...and no just because I live not far from Fyshwick don't mean I was going anywhere near there...

Great 2c @alfredus . I agree with all your sentiments. The face feel is ultimately the reason I cannot use this brush. I've moved to mainly bowl lathering so I am almost tempted to build the lather with the Plisson and then actually apply to my face with a more worthy brush - thinking the Thater Silvertip. Come to think of it the brush that builds a lather just as tight for me in the bowl is the Semogue 1305....and it feels good on the face. Talking about feeling good on the face...

LMAO - almost literally - love the imagery of a wet mob on someone's face...and no just because I live not far from Fyshwick don't mean I was going anywhere near there...
And that's why there are a million plus brushes out there! Of course there will be different opinions on the handle, face feel, loft, etc.

I agree that it's great value for money and is a lather machine. Lots of good points but ultimately you'll never be able to tick off every point in a brush.

@alfredus For $50 in badger, what would you get? You like your two WD brushes, what's the difference between the two (price, density, etc)?

And that's why there are a million plus brushes out there! Of course there will be different opinions on the handle, face feel, loft, etc.

I agree that it's great value for money and is a lather machine. Lots of good points but ultimately you'll never be able to tick off every point in a brush.

@alfredus For $50 in badger, what would you get? You like your two WD brushes, what's the difference between the two (price, density, etc)?

OK, so from lots of research the only Badgers in the 50$ worth your time are:
TGN knots - but then you need to know how to make your own brush
Vintage Blades - but they don't ship to OZ
Whipped Dog.

What I really like about WD, besides the brushes is the possibility to set your own loft hight and Larry - he is a fantastic guy to deal with, super friendly and replies to Emails straight away. He has always time for you to discuss your needs and see what brush works best for you.

Price: exactly the same - 39US$ delivered to OZ or 5US$ less if you don't want a custom loft for a 24mm brush in Silvertip or High Mountain

Differences - a lot - and I know it might be frowned upon, but I direct you to my comparison on YKW
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...vertip-vs-High-Mountain?p=7161886#post7161886

I'd suggest being nice to our own Aussie version of a Whipped Dog, PJ Pisser @Pjotr , who might talk you through transplanting some TGN goodness into your handle of choice. My little Erskine butterscotch TGN finest reknot is in my top three brushes. T'is a right pisser!

I'd suggest being nice to our own Aussie version of a Whipped Dog, PJ Pisser @Pjotr , who might talk you through transplanting some TGN goodness into your handle of choice. My little Erskine butterscotch TGN finest reknot is in my top three brushes. T'is a right pisser!
Hmmm, might be an idea right there. The trouble is getting rid of the knot that's already in a brush to begin with. [emoji15]

Hmmm, might be an idea right there. The trouble is getting rid of the knot that's already in a brush to begin with. [emoji15]

That is the easy part ....

That is the easy part ....
Really?! I always thought it was difficult. How? Is there already a separate thread about re-knotting? I seem to recall a Stillsy special...

Really?! I always thought it was difficult. How? Is there already a separate thread about re-knotting? I seem to recall a Stillsy special...

Some say steam, others pull/rip and then Dremel the rest.

I've taken a couple out with a craft knife (couldn't find my Dremel) - taping around the top first to protect the edge. If I can do it, anybody can!

As one of the few that have met the Boring Accountant, I'll second that!

Now, now fellas. We have some very helpful, friendly and well-spirited Italian members on here, so let's play nice. Let's be the forum that doesn't discriminate based on race, colour or creed but only look down upon those who use inferior shaving products. You know what I'm thinking....yep other than cartridges and canned goop I'm thinking of a certain brand of soap with a distinct wet-yourself citrus scent that rhymes with our favourite YKW member.

What about occupation!!!!!

Please read Rudy Veys thread about this on YKW before attempting. The knot is actually mounted in a metal cup, so you have to take the whole thing out...

Please read Rudy Veys thread about this on YKW before attempting. The knot is actually mounted in a metal cup, so you have to take the whole thing out...
Thanks. I think some knots are in plastic cups and others in none at all. I wasn't talking about the Plisson synthetic in particular. As usual, we're just off topic... [emoji14]

Most vintage ones are not mounted in any form of cup I think

Most vintage ones are not mounted in any form of cup I think
The handle I have is modern so it'll most likely be in a cup. I thought it was trickier than what you say as I gathered you needed to drill out the knot. I don't have that sort of gear. If there was a Bloke's Shed nearby fitted out with a drill (and lathe!!) I'd be a happy chap indeed.