What's you're experience with Muhle R41

Connaughts used to sell just the heads, which is a good deal. So you could get one, stick it on an existing handle, and then with the money you saved buy a bunch of styptic pencils.

I've never tried one (fatip grande is the most aggressive razor I have, and it's a bit of a love hate relationship at times) but it's been on my list of razors I've wanted to try since I started wet shaving.

@thisISjoel if you want to try one, I will gladly send you mine for a lend. It is not getting any use in my den at the moment,

I have an R41 head that I picked up from @MrT. I put it on an OSS handle.
For my beard it is an incredible shave, the closest shave I can get. I have a course, wiry beard that needs 4 passes with an EJ89 to get anywhere near BBS. This gave me a BBS in 2 passes. Of course, it is aggressive, you have to be careful. But I found that with a laser focus I can get a great shave with no irritation fairly easily. I have found that a very steep angle works well with this razor (check out the Geofatboy clip).
My only complaint with this razor is that I find I don't need to shave the next day, it is that close.

My regular razor is the 2011 version on a Weber Classic handle.
Like @Psmith only need to shave alternate days. Good prep, steep angle and I get an almost boringly routine shave. BBS and no irritation.
Only thing I find (as do others) is that blades don't last. Get 2 shaves out of a Feather, 3 from most others. Blades are cheap and the quality of the shave is such that it's worth it..

G'day P&C,

Had a shave Tuesday night with the R41 v2013 head attach with a iKon Bamboo using a GSB blade, and HOLY MOTHER OF MERCY
shok.gif
this bastard razor I've never felt in my life with a blade really attach to my skin full on like Freddy Krueger is really torturing me for a blood bath shave. Lucky me with only a few very small nick around the neck area and it wasn't too bad, and not enough to make Freddy any happier all I can say WOW! this razor really does feel like a killing machine with an extreme caution at all times.

J5063.png
HOLY MOTHER OF MERCY
shok.gif
and I'm going again tonight :cautious::confused: WHY! am I doing this to myself again :unsure::sneaky:

I have a 2013, because of how I loved the 2011. The 2013 is good, but I still pine for a 2011. Nothing will get you closer.

G'day P&C,

Had a shave Tuesday night with the R41 v2013 head attach with a iKon Bamboo using a GSB blade, and HOLY MOTHER OF MERCY
shok.gif
this bastard razor I've never felt in my life with a blade really attach to my skin full on like Freddy Krueger is really torturing me for a blood bath shave. Lucky me with only a few very small nick around the neck area and it wasn't too bad, and not enough to make Freddy any happier all I can say WOW! this razor really does feel like a killing machine with an extreme caution at all times.

J5063.png
HOLY MOTHER OF MERCY
shok.gif
and I'm going again tonight :cautious::confused: WHY! am I doing this to myself again :unsure::sneaky:

Maybe I'm an absolute dumbarse... but why the hell would you bother? Do you want me to send you some Norman Gunston toilet paper?

@littleaussiebleeder because Norman Gunston doesn't have the balls to pick up the R41 as he always nick himself every time he goes in the bathroom shaving :p always patch himself up with toilet paper every time he pick up a razor :p:D

Last edited:
Nothing will get you closer.
Hmmmm, disagree. [emoji5]
I assume you are talking DE's as most SE's would be just as efficient.
But there's at least a few DE's that match the R41 2011...
So it's best to say: "In my experience..." [emoji6]
(And I'll let you see for yourself if what I say is true in good time...)

Oh boy @filobiblic :rolleyes:

yeah, yeah, you're right. Nothing get's you closer than a straight razor. NOTHING!!!! (that leaves skin intact).

But I'd be keen to hear of these "other" DEs that "others" find gives a closer shave than a 2011 R41.

BTW: talking close shaves - earlier this week I test shaved a straight and got BBS with WTG passes on my (facial) cheeks. No kidding. Never thought that kind of thing possible. One stroke WTG and feel the stubble ATG....nader, zilch, zippo. Now that's shaving!

A screw, a blade and a nut - some call it devette I believe :D :D :D

But I'd be keen to hear of these "other" DEs that "others" find gives a closer shave than a 2011 R41.
French razors my friend... Skip the British, American or... German. [emoji23]

I'm not sure if @eggbert has tried the infamous R41 but he would be one who could compare the #77 against it. It's coming to Canberra for cooler weather if it can be pried from the Territorian's hands...

I am just so glad I got that whole "I have to try the most aggressive razor" thing out of my system...just want to enjoy my shaves, not prove to the world what a tough guy I am...

I am just so glad I got that whole "I have to try the most aggressive razor" thing out of my system...just want to enjoy my shaves, not prove to the world what a tough guy I am...

@alfredus I'm told and I'm unable to prove that the Fatip is the most aggressive and smooth razor IF you haven't try this otherwise is already on my shopping list soon to try it out see link below ;) It's noticeably more aggressive than my other razors, but it a very smooth and efficient shave.

http://www.maggardrazors.com/product-category/safety-razors/fatip-razors/
or
http://www.italianbarber.com/collec...oducts/fatip-piccolo-double-edge-safety-razor

fatip_R41_blade_zps22b1426c.jpg

Last edited:
@alfredus I'm told and I'm unable to prove that the Fatip is the most aggressive and smooth razor IF you haven't try this otherwise is already on my shopping list soon to try it out see link below ;) It's noticeably more aggressive than my other razors, but it a very smooth and efficient shave.

http://www.maggardrazors.com/product-category/safety-razors/fatip-razors/
or
http://www.italianbarber.com/collec...oducts/fatip-piccolo-double-edge-safety-razor

fatip_R41_blade_zps22b1426c.jpg

Fatip can be good. Can if you nail the blade alignment - it's a very manual process without much in the way of centring left, right, front or back.

LOL! To be considered THAT guy is amusing!!! The thought genuinely never crossed my mind. I actually prefer a medium-efficient razor. I have used and hate the R41 2011. I don't like the Fatip either. My Adjustable razors stay on the medium setting. I don't like super efficient "blade-on-a-stick" feel at all!!!

I have quite tough and dark hair. So I need an efficient razor, but I enjoy my shaves and dislike "feeling" the blade on my skin. I enjoy razors with beauty over brawn. Vintage Art Deco beats ultra modern clean lines (although I do like some well designed modern razors) for me.

I've just happened to come across a highly efficient razor with a high comfort factor. The Leresche #77 is a medium-scarce razor but is highly unique in its head design. I'll do a review one day. It's got the beauty in its vintage looks, but just happens to be more efficient (IMHO!) to the R41. At this stage not many have used it (I'm hoping to change that) so it's more a personal statement at this stage. I'd love to hear others thoughts and opinions on it.

LOL! To be considered THAT guy is amusing!!! The thought genuinely never crossed my mind. I actually prefer a medium-efficient razor. I have used and hate the R41 2011. I don't like the Fatip either. My Adjustable razors stay on the medium setting. I don't like super efficient "blade-on-a-stick" feel at all!!

i-am-such-a-girly-girl.png

I picked up the head only and mated the 41 to a Shave Craft Bulldog and it provides me very close irritation free shaves. It took me about 8 shaves to really master the touch, but I took my time and with the exception of a few weepers at first it was a blood free experience. I experimented with several blades and found the vintage Pol-silver fit the bill. One of only 4 modern day razors that I regularly use.