Shave of the Day Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
The C12k is the net slang for the fine Chinese river slate that is somewhere between 8 - 12k. It is quarried from the Guangxi area in China. It is an extremely hard stone very much like slate but apparently not a slate. Mine took hours to lap and I used many sheets of w/d paper and far too much energy. Mine is a very fine finishing stone.
@Draco Noir, Initially. I didn't have a Jnat but the idea of progressive slurry appealed to me so I purchased a pair of generic 3/8k and a 10k synthetic waterstones. I'm always prepared to experiment, I cut a series of 4cm slices off the stones to use as slurry stones. I lapped both sides of the Guangxi, chose the finest finishing side and used the other side for creating progressive synthetic slurries on the C12k.
With a synthetic used as a straight hone the striations are basically straight to the edge of the edge whereas with the slurry the abrasive while uniform [ish] in grit size now creates a finer finish and it is much like the frosted glass look of the nagura on a Jnat. I'm not concerned what the actual grit size is just that it is progressively finer and works significantly quicker than either a synthetic alone or the C12k on its own.
From the 10k synthetic slurry I go to the Coticule with baby oil.
In terms of pretty the Jnat edge wins hands down and the Coticule edge to me looks a lot like it was hit with a grinder. The Coticule edge though is superbly keen and sharp while wonderfully smooth. Hope that explains it :)
Steve

The C12k is the net slang for the fine Chinese river slate that is somewhere between 8 - 12k. It is quarried from the Guangxi area in China. It is an extremely hard stone very much like slate but apparently not a slate. Mine took hours to lap and I used many sheets of w/d paper and far too much energy. Mine is a very fine finishing stone.
@Draco Noir, Initially. I didn't have a Jnat but the idea of progressive slurry appealed to me so I purchased a pair of generic 3/8k and a 10k synthetic waterstones. I'm always prepared to experiment, I cut a series of 4cm slices off the stones to use as slurry stones. I lapped both sides of the Guangxi, chose the finest finishing side and used the other side for creating progressive synthetic slurries on the C12k.
With a synthetic used as a straight hone the striations are basically straight to the edge of the edge whereas with the slurry the abrasive while uniform [ish] in grit size now creates a finer finish and it is much like the frosted glass look of the nagura on a Jnat. I'm not concerned what the actual grit size is just that it is progressively finer and works significantly quicker than either a synthetic alone or the C12k on its own.
In terms of pretty the Jnat edge wins hands down and the Coticule edge to me looks a lot like it was hit with a grinder. The Coticule edge though is superbly keen and sharp while wonderfully smooth. Hope that explains it :)
Steve

@bald as - brilliant detail. You know your stuff.

Steve

Thanks @bald as, great explanation. I understand what you were doing now. I like the way you've created the ability to have progressive grits - clever ;) And as you say the actual grit size isn't important and would be misleading BS in any case, its the result against your face that really matters....

Well I have just had one of the nicest shaves regardless of blade ever. Very smooth with no irritation and a very pleasant DFS+

Soap: On a whim made a new extra tallow, tallow dominant soap this afternoon with Shea butter, and Castor oil. Very interesting soap as it just kept wanting more and more water. Very smooth lather but not at all billowing. I've been trying to make myself a particular type of soap that is more suited to straight razor shaving. My daughter has an amazing collection of essential oils so I borrowed them "just in case", so this one smells "pretty".

New soap today: Vetiver, Cinnamon, Mandarin, Bergamot, Sandalwood and Lemon myrtle.
Brush: Home made 24mm knotted boar brush
Blade: Ivan the 11/16" round nosed Russian wonder from 1957

George%20Butler%20Keen_zpsi5sosm82.jpg

Bold water shave
Soap: Arko, Arko, Arko
Brush: Cheap synth
Face lather
Blade: George Butler 6/8 Keen

Arko is a great soap. 5 days straight and not a nick in sight. Takes very little soap application to produce a thick and superb lather. Cheap as seals the deal for me. It will be good to use a scented soap for tomorrow's shave though rather than a urinal puck. Apart from the horrid scent of Arko which starts to fade away during the first pass (or sears all scent receptors in the nasal passage) this soap is a top product.

The George Butler was sharp and the resultant shave very smooth. DFS.

After 5 days of Arko shave stick; A big thumbs up to this soap.

Razor: Gillette Fatboy (5)
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (1)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap/Cream: Henri et Victoria - Cognac and Cuban Cigars Shaving Soap
Aftershave: Barberry Coast Shaving Co - Havana Balm

Sorry, didn't have time to post earlier. I was off straight after the shave with my son for a tour of VH-OJA (a 747-438) at HARS just south of Wollongong - http://hars.org.au/2015/11/exclusive-tours-vh-oja-boeing-747-438/

https://flic.kr/p/JZAHnW
I mean it IS the 'City of Canberra' after all!

If you are a plane tragic or even just a curious passenger it is a really interesting experience. Now which one was the wire he said NOT to cut ...

Pre-Shave - Shower & Musgo Real Classic Scent Pre-Shave Oil Soap
Brush: - Simpsons Chubby 2 Synthetic Badger v2.0 Fiber 27/52mm
Lather: - Mike's Natural Shaving Soap - Hungarian Lavender
Razor: - Muhle R41 with a iKon Bamboo Handle
Blade: - Gillette Silver Blue (2)
Post Shave: - Alum Block / T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent / The Stray Whisker Aftershave Balm
Whisky: - Crown Royal Reserve Canadian

Thanks goodness for the Canadian whisky after my second shave with the R41 was still very extreme caution and nerve-racking to keep my right hand locked while using my arm and shoulder controlling the R41, follow by a great recipe together with the R41 was the Mike's Natural Shaving Soap for the slickness AMEN! phew o_O So far so good and best of all not a single nick anywhere on my face throughout my shave, however I only have a small light irritation on the right side of my neck wasn't too bad after all it only small. You know what I'm gunna have another crack with the R41 again because I don't believe Freddy Krueger is going to touch me any more, because he looks very angry now why? well he hasn't seen a blood bath yet.

Believe me when I tell you this the R41 is a extreme caution and nerve-racking shave because the blade really touch you're bare skin for real is no joke at all, and if you've been wet shaving for more than 6 months with DE razor I can't see why not you wet shavers should have ago with the R41 v2013 head good luck and may the force be with you ;) Question is the R41 is more aggressive than a Standard Razor yes or no ? while mine is coming very soon in the mail, looking forward to drive the Standard Razor very soon ;)

Going from a R89 or DE89 to the 2013 R41 is not going to result in any blood, unless you do something really silly. It's a very impressive smooth and close shaver.

Going from a R89 or DE89 to a 2011 R41 is a bigger risk to be sure and weepers are far more likely than with the 2013 version is what I've been told and advise.

Cheers (y);)

Last edited:
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (1)

Sorry, didn't have time to post earlier. I was off straight after the shave with my son for a tour of VH-OJA (a 747-438) at HARS just south of Wollongong - http://hars.org.au/2015/11/exclusive-tours-vh-oja-boeing-747-438/

https://flic.kr/p/JZAHnW
I mean it IS the 'City of Canberra' after all!

If you are a plane tragic or even just a curious passenger it is a really interesting experience. Now which one was the wire he said NOT to cut ...

Great post @Mark1966.

Pre-Shave - Shower & Musgo Real Classic Scent Pre-Shave Oil Soap
Brush: - Simpsons Chubby 2 Synthetic Badger v2.0 Fiber 27/52mm
Lather: - Mike's Natural Shaving Soap - Hungarian Lavender
Razor: - Muhle R41 with a iKon Bamboo Handle
Blade: - Gillette Silver Blue (2)
Post Shave: - Alum Block / T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent / The Stray Whisker Aftershave Balm
Whisky: - Crown Royal Reserve Canadian

Thanks goodness for the Canadian whisky after my second shave with the R41 was still very extreme caution and nerve-racking to keep my right hand locked while using my arm and shoulder controlling the R41, follow by a great recipe together with the R41 was the Mike's Natural Shaving Soap for the slickness AMEN! phew o_O So far so good and best of all not a single nick anywhere on my face throughout my shave, however I only have a small light irritation on the right side of my neck wasn't too bad after all it only small. You know what I'm gunna have another crack with the R41 again because I don't believe Freddy Krueger is going to touch me any more, because he looks very angry now why? well he hasn't seen a blood bath yet.

Believe me when I tell you this the R41 is a extreme caution and nerve-racking shave because the blade really touch you're bare skin for real is no joke at all, and if you've been wet shaving for more than 6 months with DE razor I can't see why not you wet shavers should have ago with the R41 v2013 head good luck and may the force be with you ;) Question is the R41 is more aggressive than a Standard Razor yes or no ? while mine is coming very soon in the mail, looking forward to drive the Standard Razor very soon ;)

Going from a R89 or DE89 to the 2013 R41 is not going to result in any blood, unless you do something really silly. It's a very impressive smooth and close shaver.

Going from a R89 or DE89 to a 2011 R41 is a bigger risk to be sure and weepers are far more likely than with the 2013 version is what I've been told and advise.

Cheers (y);)

@SpeedyPC - thanks for sharing your experiences with this razor. When I've got my technique down, I may also have a crack.

fc4c086aede4865bf8e6b714f2d82f28.jpg

Pre: Musgo Real Lime Oil Soap, Myrsol Antesol and Emulsion
Brush: Savile Row 3824 Silvertip
Soap: Osma
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: Feather (3)
Cologne: Alvarez Gomez Barberia

Really interesting shave. First time I've used the Osma soap. Very hard work to get a workable lather, and started to dissipate towards the end of the shave. Lather lacks a bit of slickness. Despite this, the shave was very close after only two passes. Can't complain, and food for thought.

Pre: GFT lime skin food
Brush: Wolfwhiskers Ubersoft II
Soap: Stirling Ozark Mountain
Razor: Above The Wolf S1 (thanks for the creative name, I love it @Draco Noir)
Blade: PSI

Yeap, soap needed more water. Badgers usually can hold more water, but synths don't hold as much. Lather was slick, protective and comfortable. The scent of this soap is amazing. Not your cheap pine scent, this is as if you are driving through the pine forests. Deep green fresh pine scent. I love it.

Razor is excellent, with just two pass plus very little touch up tonight, BBS. I love how this razor feels when you shave. Very precise feel to it and no blade play at all.

Finished off with the usuals, and my number one favourite balm to date - Eufros Jabonman Vetiver Haiti.

YfLQFuS.jpg

Pre: La Toja
Razor: Merkur Progress, 3.5 with a Feather Blade
Brush: Simpson CH1 Super Badger
Soap: Barrister and Mann 'Bay Rum'
Post: The Stray Whisker After Balm/Sterling Bay Rum Post Shave Balm
Aftershave: Ogallala 'Bay Rum, Sage & Cedar'

Despite it being Saturday, the pressures of work (the circumstances of a horrific family law/property matter I have the carriage of currently) did it's best to rouse me and I found myself wide awake at 4.30 am being 'the spectre at the feast' as it were. Not the best of ways to begin the weekend however needs must, what I needed was not just a good, but a great shave and the pleasures of well made coffee for some perspective.

Pre loading and preparing the lather, I got to thinking about how much I love my Simpson CH1, day in and day out it is the brush that always delivers, it's soft on the face, loads fantastically and rarely drops a hair, it is the brush I was always searching for having tried a number of other brands, in badger, synthetic and always found them wanting. It's strange really, to develop attachment to something such as a shave brush I suppose to some people but I find it very reassuring to see of a morning, beautifully designed and ofc a superb performer like all of Simpson's brushes. I know their are more modern handle patterns and so forth in a multitude of colours, for me I like the traditional colours, the classic lines.

A true to form lather from the B+M Bay Rum, regular users of Will's soaps will know how well his products lather. Plenty of cushion, mountains of glide and a superb post shave feel that is hydrated and fresh. I ran with my normal 2 pass shave, WTG then XTG with a buff if needed. The scent of the B+M Bay Rum is my personal favourite having tried a number of Bay Rum 'versions' over the last 4 or 4 years. It's a refined spice, the clove not smothering the nuance of the rum, it smells great in the tub and really grows when warm lathered.

I occasionally react to alcohol on the skin so prudently I provided a layer of @shavetheman 's superb 'After Balm' which has become a mainstay of my morning routine even if I exclude it from my SOTD pictures . It's a very complete post-shave product, it soothes, it lifts and it does not get in the way of scented products. It is an Australian product that competes with the best in the world on performance and price. A big 'hats off' to Con on researching this and getting it to market - years from now it will be a classic Aussie shave product, I am certain of it.

I then layered a small but reasonable quantity of Stirling's Bay Rum post shave balm, it has a great long lasting scent but it does pack a little punch like a lot of the Stirling balms on my skin - I am not overly sure why but I do get a slight sting with their balms and I have 5 or so different scents from them.

Lastly I broke with tradition and used an aftershave, an alcohol based one at that which is something I rarely do as my skin usually hates alcohol. I was determined though having bought a full sized Ogallala Bay Rum, Lime and Peppercorn after reading other members opinions here. I went a step further ordering the 'Bonanza' sampler of 5 of the Ogallala scents and I am glad I did - From opening and smelling them after shaking thoroughly they are scents I really love, each with it's own nuance that rests on the warming, spice of the Bay Rum.

From waking up early with the pressures of work, enjoying several cups of well made coffee to contemplating and then effecting my morning ritual of a proper wet shave I have found my mood lifted, things put into perspective and the mindfulness too really appreciate and enjoy, this weekends Saturday morning shave :)

Blade: Personna Lab Blue (2)

Simple quick although I gave myself a lot of little nicks - so maybe TOO quick. Technique to blame.

Nice SOTD @todras

@Mark1966 I am going to have to insist you post pictures of your SOTD's, particularly of the Vintage butterscotch Simpson(s) as I'm intending on buying one (have a lot of questions to ask you about that also) sometime but prior to that drooling over yours will do :p

@Mark1966 I am going to have to insist you post pictures of your SOTD's, particularly of the Vintage butterscotch Simpson(s) as I'm intending on buying one (have a lot of questions to ask you about that also) sometime but prior to that drooling over yours will do :p
As a lawyer I would have thought you should know that the defendant doesn't have to incriminate himself.

As a lawyer I would have thought you should know that the defendant doesn't have to incriminate himself.

I also know that the defendant has a duty to the court....so let's run with that and get him posting those really nice examples of Vintage brushes he has in that stash of his ;)

I also know that the defendant has a duty to the court....so let's run with that and get him posting those really nice examples of Vintage brushes he has in that stash of his ;)

Didn't I tell you? I' starting to collect aircraft now, only plane pics from now on ;)

sotd-2016-07-16.jpg

Razor: Edwin Jagger Kelvin
Blade: Personna Platinum
Soap: Maggard Razors Shave Soap – London Barbershop
Brush: Maggard Razors synthetic shaving brush
A/S: Lucky Tiger
ASB: The Stray Whisker After Balm
Post-Routine: hot rinse, alum, cold rinse, Lucky Tiger, dry skin, balm

Seriously BBS with Maggard Razors soap and EJ + Personna Platinum.

Status
Not open for further replies.