Thoughts on the new AP Shave Co Titanium knot

Gargravarr

Our resident snake charmer
This is my first day with the new know, set in a beautiful handle by @TroyTools...

PXL-20230526-051557857-PORTRAIT-ORIGINAL.jpg

... and I thought I might share my impressions for anyone who's interested.

Here's what Andrew says about it:
The "Titanium" knot is a part of the "UK Fibre Supplier" line.

These fibres are from the company that has been supplying the world's oldest shaving brushes (est. 1919) from the UK with both badger & synthetic fibres for 40+ years now.

The name is very much a nod to fibres used in their "premium" line of synthetics, as the fibres come from the very same source.

These fibres are known for having ultra soft tips and superior backbone. This knot behaves fairly similar to those of the "G5" line, although I'd consider the backbone of these tapered fibres even stronger than the G5 line. Definitely a must try!

The best of the modern synthetics have many of the qualities found in a natural fibre brush (progressive splay without being springy, nice backbone and so on), but some fibre manufacturers are now pushing boundaries to transcend those properties. The Titanium leaves you in no doubt that you are dealing with a man-made product. The fibres are very fine and packed densely. They bear some similarity to the DScosmetic G7, but not so stiff or prickly. The Titanium is way denser than the G5C, with significantly more backbone as a result.

I really like the fan configuration, it makes loading from small pucks easy (just tip the brush 45⁰ to the soap). It whips up vast quantities of lather in no time. The tips of the fibres are beautifully soft on the skin. It works equally well for any style of lathering, be it painting, scrubbing or mashing.

But soap misers beware: this knot is a prodigious soap muncher. I reckon it would tear through a whole puck of my Valobra in a matter of weeks if I let it. :eek:

I really like this knot, and I'm probably going to get another for a smaller handle that's crying out for a better business end. (y) (y)

Hmmm ...

These fibres are from the company that has been supplying the world's oldest shaving brushes (est. 1919) from the UK with both badger & synthetic fibres for 40+ years now.

gNTzGfKl.jpg

You think?

TsDgK8f.jpg

Pre-shave:- Shower
Brush:- Simpson - Special Edition M7 Tortoiseshell - Platinum Synthetic Fibre
Soap:- Le Pere Lucien - Le Savon du Barbier
Razor:- H&S No.75 mixed metal head on custom NCWoodDesign Bog Oak handle
Blade:- Personna Blue (4)
Aftershave:- Le Pere Lucien - Lotion du Barbier

You think?

Me think so!

Hmmm ...

gNTzGfKl.jpg

You think?

That is what he says, hence the italics. If you or @SpeedyPC want to call BS on that, feel free to do so to AP himself. I have no more information than what he says. My subjective impressions are just my own impressions, and I couldn't care less about partisan opinions regarding those Simpsons.

Last edited:
That is what he says, hence the italics. If you or @SpeedyPC want to call BS on that, feel free to do so to AP himself. I have no more information than what he says. My subjective impressions are just my own impressions, and I couldn't care less about partisan opinions regarding those Simpsons.

No I wasn't calling BS or anything, just making the inference obvious for those who may not have gotten it.

Would be fascinating to know if they are the supplier to Simpsons.

No I wasn't calling BS or anything, just making the inference obvious for those who may not have gotten it.

Would be fascinating to know if they are the supplier to Simpsons.
I can't think of any other brush maker that started up in 1919, can you? AP certainly seems to have made himself some contacts in the industry. He's managed to corner an exclusive deal to sell the Mühle STF knots without a handle as well. (See here...) A lot of people should be pretty happy about that...

Nevertheless, I won't say the Titanium is a killer against his G5C, but it's another interesting and worthwhile expression in the increasingly diverse world of quality synthetics. At $42 CAD they definitely don't come cheap, but this is in the bracket of serious quality alternatives beyond the market for "boring badgers".

Nice post @Gargravarr 👍

Today's synthetic brushes are amazing, I love them but they still don't feel like badgers to me...

I prefer the synths to badgers for pure lathering power but the badgers do feel real nice when face lathering
And don't forget the Shoat knot from TurnNShave. (A shoat is a newly-weaned pig, and the knot is super-dense and fucking great.) I'm going to have to re-set mine, as I managed to crack it loose when I was shaking it out this morning. I roughed up the bottom of the plug with a coarse bastard file before I glued it with epoxy, but I didn't do the same with the nylon washer I stuck it to. Live and learn... :rolleyes:

@Gargravarr the Shoat knot looks amazing.. but I keep telling myself

I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT....

@Gargravarr the Shoat knot looks amazing.. but I keep telling myself

I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT.... I DONT NEED ANOTHER KNOT....

I NEED ANOTHER KNOT

FTFY