The Blobbie

Pj how did you get the resin out of the semogue? Does the plug pull out or do you have to scrape it out?

Basically the latter. Cut the knot off leaving enough sticking up to be able to grip it with some pliers if needed. Drill a fair sized hole through the centre (try not to punch through the bottom of the cup) to get a start and then just use screw drivers, small chisels and pliers to pull hair out untill the hole is big enough to get sand paper in and after that just gently scrape away. I used a pretty gritty sandpaper taped to the end of marker pens. As the hole gets bigger you just roll on more sandpaper or go to bigger sized marker pens. It's quite a lot of work. Don't forget to tape up the outside of the handle to protect it against damage, droppage etc. I generally use electrical insulation tape as it's fairly easy glue and doesn't leave a residue. You still might lose the sticker! Brushes look better without them anyhow.

Basically the latter. Cut the knot off leaving enough sticking up to be able to grip it with some pliers if needed. Drill a fair sized hole through the centre (try not to punch through the bottom of the cup) to get a start and then just use screw drivers, small chisels and pliers to pull hair out untill the hole is big enough to get sand paper in and after that just gently scrape away. I used a pretty gritty sandpaper taped to the end of marker pens. As the hole gets bigger you just roll on more sandpaper or go to bigger sized marker pens. It's quite a lot of work. Don't forget to tape up the outside of the handle to protect it against damage, droppage etc. I generally use electrical insulation tape as it's fairly easy glue and doesn't leave a residue. You still might lose the sticker! Brushes look better without them anyhow.

There you go a new money making sideline for you - teaching people how to create new brushes from old a bit of video over Skype and you could retire in no time (10% fee for the idea though) :)

Finally somebody I can talk to about the Wee one. I'm almost in tears.

Ha! We'll have to wait and see Pj. I am intrigued by it but I also like the look of the Shavemac 177 and the semogue 2040 or 730 which are admittedly bigger more expensive brushes.

TBH Im just a bit excited about all the shave gear again. The rush of blood to the head may subside before I pick anything else up. My wallet probably hopes so!

Anybody got any of the semogue brushes in Badger?

I have a 730HD (High Density, aka more hair).

F*^# me it is a hell of a big brush. I could get enough lather in one to give 3 guys a shave with 3 passes each. Has backbone but not enough for soaps.

Even the vanilla 730 would be huge.

Just had another go with the Blob and it does it so quickly it almost takes the fun out of lathering up. It's still got a bit of a wet rug smell to it even after half a dozen serious uses so I'm also confident the scritchyness will almost completely disappear. Not that I mind it as it is.

Last edited:
I have a 730HD (High Density, aka more hair).

F*^# me it is a hell of a big brush. I could get enough lather in one to give 3 guys a shave with 3 passes each. Has backbone but not enough for soaps.

Even the vanilla 730 would be huge.

Cheers Razormonsta. I was wondering if the standard density brushes might prove easier to live with. I know my 830 demands you use enough product or it just won't let the lather go and it is supposedly a higher density knot than standard. Do you like the brush or find you overlook it a lot?

The Semogue badger specs always seemed on the big side.

They seem to have quite a bit of loft for the knot base size. I have a feeling the Frank Shave brush I have coming will be on the floppy side. I doubt I will want to add another floppy brush into the rotation. I really do like the Semogue acrylic handles though :cool:

Cheers Razormonsta. I was wondering if the standard density brushes might prove easier to live with. I know my 830 demands you use enough product or it just won't let the lather go and it is supposedly a higher density knot than standard. Do you like the brush or find you overlook it a lot?
I actually haven't touched it in ages. My standard brush is the one I started with - the Muhle Pure Badger and only because it fits on my stand - the rest of my brushes sit on the windowsill in the bathroom. The Muhle is very floppy when only wet but seems better once you load it up.

The 730 looks like a mushroom once you load it up. I have pics somewhere, will see if I can find them. But yeah, for the money I paid and the amount of times I have used it, it does seem a bit of a waste. Maybe if it had 10mm less loft then I would use it every day.

730HD+830_Semogue.png

This is the brushes as delivered. 730HD on the left, 830 (aka 'Noodles') on the right.

730HDvs830_2.png

After first washout and dry. As you can see, there is some serious density in the 730. The 830 already look scraggly as they tend to do.

730HDvs830_3.png

Wet density. You can see the 730 holds a heap of surface area. The 830 again looks 'clumpy'.

730HDvs830_4.png

Test lather. Can't remember what I used, but as you can see the 730 whips up a much larger amount of lather.

730HDvs830_5.png

Lather squeezed from the 730HD.

730HDvs830_6.png

Lather squeezed from the 830. It looks 'sudsy' in comparison to the 730HD.

730HDvs830_7.png

And back on the windowsill to dry.

And I will agree on the sentiments of the asthetics of the Semo handles. Bloody gorgeous things in the acrylic.... they are heavy and very well made. If I could order a custom 730 with a -10mm loft on standard, I think it would give a Chubby a run for its money.

Awesome post Razormonsta!!

Thanks very much.
That 730HD is a big brush!

Last edited:
... but I'm keen to give the wee scot a bash for something completely different and add a travel brush to the den, maybe for Xmas.

It's a stunning little brush - I use mine occasionally at home so it doesn't feel left out. At first I thought it was a gimmick, but having used it, it's most definitely not so.

I always knew you had class hunnymonster. The Wee Scot is not small it makes other brushes look way too big.

The knot arrived. Looks pretty good

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1319664965.576918.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1319664965.576918.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 9
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1319665012.903055.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1319665012.903055.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 7
22mm knot with 65mm loft. Looks like it will fit. I went off the stats for the 830 boar which said 22mm.

The dremel will make it fit

Should look nice in the 830 handle.

I hope you're able to sink it a good way though. With that density 50mm should be nice.

I've already mangled the handle a little bit though. That silver ring is soft as all hell. My scalpel took chunks out of it. Makes me think it is made of tin or lead or similar.

22mm knot with 65mm loft. Looks like it will fit. I went off the stats for the 830 boar which said 22mm.

The dremel will make it fit

It might be different with the 830 but I found with drubbings 1460 handle that the 22mm measurement actually is the size of the outside diameter of the metal cup that the knot is set in. What's more, the cup actually tapered in and the knot at it's base wasn't more than 16mm! No wonder the 1460 was a floppy. You might have to sacrifice the cup but with a dremel that shouldn't be a problem. Unlike the 1460 your handle will look fine without it as the top rim of the handle is wider.

I've already mangled the handle a little bit though. That silver ring is soft as all hell. My scalpel took chunks out of it. Makes me think it is made of tin or lead or similar.

It is a very soft semi precious metal alloy. Tin/zinc/copper alloy or something similar. It is easy to sand and polish back though (don't tell drubbing). Unlike the glue used in older brushes it's rock hard. So you've got a hard glue inside a much softer surround. Not an easy restore by any means. By the way don't be afraid to touch up the base and sides of the plug if you need a bit more room.