Shave of the Day Thread - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s good, smell is great but performance wise it’s still behind Castle Forbes and BM.
Agreed, though while the BM works well, the scent is a pale imitation of the real thing. I wonder if they use one of those off-the-peg fragrance packs. I had both up for grabs in the BST recently, and I'm now glad nobody responded, as I would miss the CF. I'm looking forward to my Mystic Waters Jeff's Lavender arriving soon. It's been a long while since I last had it, but I remember the scent being heavenly.

Looks like I'm showing myself up as an unabashed lavender-head... :)

Agreed, though while the BM works well, the scent is a pale imitation of the real thing. I wonder if they use one of those off-the-peg fragrance packs. I had both up for grabs in the BST recently, and I'm now glad nobody responded, as I would miss the CF. I'm looking forward to my Mystic Waters Jeff's Lavender arriving soon. It's been a long while since I last had it, but I remember the scent being heavenly.

Looks like I'm showing myself up as an unabashed lavender-head... :)
I’m a big fan myself, I think I have 5, but buying no more soaps until I run the mountain I have down. I’ve got my eye on a couple of brushes and I still buy straights but that’s it.

IMG-20201031-184241.jpg

Brush: Yaqi 30mm tuxedo
Razor: Rocca V4 R96 :cool:
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridiums (13)
Soap: Shaver Heaven Honey Ale
Pre: Shower
Post: Nivea 2 Phase A/S Lotion & Sensitive Post Shave Balm
WTG, XTG, ATG = DFS+

First shave with the new R96 and at first I thought maybe I was sent a V2 instead as it felt somewhat harsh XTG. The rest of the shave was smoth enough leading me to think the blade is nearing its use by date but I'm prepared to persevere for the sake of wet shaving science as I've pushed the SI beyond 15 shaves before.

The razor felt great in the hand and I'm growing on the black finish but if I'm honest I prefer the all SS finish of the R94. It was nice to use this soap again as it smells lovely and performs well... Happy shaves!

mate that blade has been baked, deep fried and slow cooked on charcoal.. give it a crack with a fresh blade 😃

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: WCS - Honeycomb 26mm synthetic
Soap/Cream: Oleo Soapwaorks - Shiloh
Razor: Muhle - Rocca R94
Blade: Gillette - Stainless (4)
Post-shave: Razorock - XXX AS Splash / Stirling - Piacenza PS Balm
Fragrance: Acqua Di Parma - Colonia (EDC)

2 pass + touchups = DFS +. Another great shave with the R94 / Gillette Stainless combo. Even better shave than the last. Glad I picked up a few hundred blades earlier this year. Out of all ADC Colonia scented soaps, Shiloh is my favourite as it is the closet to the original scent wise, and out performs the original cream.

Date:- 31 October 2020

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Maseto Beehive 'Horn' Tuxedo Synth. 26/54mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Mike’s Natural ~ Orange, Cedarwood & Black Pepper
Razor/Blade:- Muhle Rocca R94 v4.0 / Voskhod #1
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (30 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)

200.webp
A0naZhi.gif
10.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah the more I think about it I'll just go with a different blade to compare the performance. (y)
I'd be interested to hear a couple of other opinions re Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge Yellow; it's a recent introduction to my den, and IMO it compares favorably with both Polsilver/Wizamet and Nacet, but it doesn't feature much in SOTDs, with the exception of @klinker's...

I'd be interested to hear a couple of other opinions re Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge Yellow; it's a recent introduction to my den, and IMO it compares favorably with both Polsilver/Wizamet and Nacet, but it doesn't feature much in SOTDs, with the exception of @klinker's...
I've yet to try the yellows and will need to check my sample collection to see whether I have tuck?

Interesting. That review (though not the subsequent discussion) amounts to a comprehensive bagging. About the best he says is "I just feel like most people would come away neither liking nor hating it". Maybe my skin is like rhinoceros hide, as I'm in neither category. I'm glad I never saw that review before trying the blades.

Maybe the takeaway message is "never read blade reviews".

Interesting. That review (though not the subsequent discussion) amounts to a comprehensive bagging. About the best he says is "I just feel like most people would come away neither liking nor hating it". Maybe my skin is like rhinoceros hide, as I'm in neither category. I'm glad I never saw that review before trying the blades.

Another takeaway could be, "YMMV."

I read that review, and agree that after the 2nd shave the blade looses its performance quickly. There are a lot of blades like this. One blade I used to like the Israeli Crystal is notorious for it. Doesn't mean I hate the blade, I have since found other blades that work better for my shaving routine. Everyone will be different, and that is why YMMV is very relevant.

Date:- 31 October 2020

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Maseto Beehive 'Horn' Tuxedo Synth. 26/54mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Mike’s Natural ~ Orange, Cedarwood & Black Pepper
Razor/Blade:- Muhle Rocca R94 v4.0 / Voskhod #1
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (30 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)

200.webp
A0naZhi.gif
10.jpg
Oh my goodness, a photo with @SpeedyPC 's SOTD, somebody frame it, I like it.

JQEiAtqh.jpg

Soap: Pb 40 Thieves
Brush: 26mm TF KBBB
Razor: 7/8 TI Blonde Horn
AS: APR General Ledger
Superb shave. I'm loving that TI blade.
kaILewbm.jpg
For the last few years I've been oiling my razors with Jojoba which does a great job but I'm assuming Jojoba must be slightly acidic as I've noticed a slight green tinge on a couple of razors like my Gillette Slim after being coated with it. So, time to try some Camelia oil.

5018743-C-B509-4-A64-A8-B1-AC5397-E047-CC.jpg

Pre-shave: cold water mister
Soap: Palmolive stick
Brush: Yaqi pony
Razor: Merkur 34C
Blade: Feather (1st use)

So this is my standard ‘travel shave’ set up which I wanted to test out prior to an upcoming work trip. I was not disappointed 👌

Honestly, the consistently great shaves my 34C delivers make me question why I continue adding razors to my den. Many on here have said the Rockwell 6S would be their desert island razor - but if I don’t know if I could part with 34C... (terrible choice if you ever had to make it 🤷🏻‍♂️😆)

Palmolive equally amazing - can’t fault it. Perfect travel companion.

Couple of other conversation starters:
• Does anyone employ a blade guard for travel razors. This Muhle guard (pictured) fits the 34C like a glove and protects the blade (and potentially your fingers!) while in a toiletries bag travelling

• Mister for slowly adding water to your face lather is gold. Stolen idea from YouTube, but I always add water with this now

• Only negative of today’s shave was minor bloodshed where I nicked open a small mole on my right cheek. Usually can carefully shave over this area with no problems, but for some reason the blade occasionally catches it if I hit it on the wrong angle. Any advice on avoiding this is appreciated

Happy shaves all!

I read that review, and agree that after the 2nd shave the blade looses its performance quickly. There are a lot of blades like this. One blade I used to like the Israeli Crystal is notorious for it. Doesn't mean I hate the blade, I have since found other blades that work better for my shaving routine. Everyone will be different, and that is why YMMV is very relevant.
I actually enjoyed the Israeli Crystals and managed to grab a tuck from @Kaeckerut a while back. They were smooth and in my top 10 for sure. Not that I'd rush to get 100 but very useable. :giggle:

Status
Not open for further replies.