Revisiting an old enemy - Derby Extra

I just finished my third shave with the vertical Derby. When the blade was new I was expecting a blood bath, but got the opposite. I've had 3 amazing shaves with it. The problem with Derby is that there quality has been hit and miss. When I first started DE shaving I they were da bomb.

I know I am reviving an old thread. but...

It looks like I am going to be a Derby hater.

I'm now on my second blade with them, and on the 3rd shave with each blade I have had lumps or bumps come up on my right cheek. No blood, just a definite raised irritation.

Not sure how or why this happened, but they are the variable that it has occurred with each time.

They aren't consistent enough for my liking.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I am honest I should say that the issue is far more likely to be with my technique somewhere, be it shaving lathering, or what have you.

But it is so much nicer to put the blame elsewhere.

Nope, I'm a derby hater too.
Lots of people liked red pack IPs instead for a cheap blade, and most that do, don't like derbys.
It was really strange, I know it was mentioned a few times in 2008/2009 on that other forum, you could almost guarantee people fell into one or the other camp for cheap beginner level blades, ie use red IPs, don't like derby; or use derby, don't like red IPs.

I don't think derbys are reliable quality wise.

Last edited:
My first 3 shaves were with a derby, only managed 2 nicks in those 3 shaves. Last night i changed to personnas and it is a tonne sharper but i nicked myself 3 times with it, so i guess i need to respect it more.

Dont think ill go back to it, personnas seem sharp enough for me and ive had my closest shave with it thus far.

Think positively SYD... that just means more on the market left for you.

You can have any that were assigned to me too.

/Another "not a fan of Derby's" shaver.