Recommend me a 'classic' soap.

ollietwo

As my soap collection only consists of various artisanal soaps from the usual suspects. I'm interested in trying some of the 'classics' such as Proraso, TOBS et al.

I'm keen to hear suggestions on brands that I should be looking at as I figure some of these have been around for donkey's years and must have some sort of quality associated with them.

ARKO!

[had to get in first]

The unfortunate reality is that many of the long standing brands have reformulated to meet new, particularly, European, regulations applying to cosmetics.

MdC is certainly a classic worth considering.

MWF is another long term favourite.

I think Proraso Menthol and Eucalyptus and Cella are both 'rite of passage' products that everyone should use at least once.

ARKO!

[had to get in first]

The unfortunate reality is that many of the long standing brands have reformulated to meet new, particularly, European, regulations applying to cosmetics.

MdC is certainly a classic worth considering.

MWF is another long term favourite.

I think Proraso Menthol and Eucalyptus and Cella are both 'rite of passage' products that everyone should use at least once.
Wise words from the General.
When I thought about this question, it rammed home how many of the Classics have either been discontinued or reformulated, which is sad.
I would add to your list to try the following:
  • D.R. Harris soap (still tallow-based and a great performer)
  • If we extend the options to creams, any of the classic English creams from Geo. F. Trumper, D.R. Harris, or Taylor of Old Bond Street. If you need a place to start, I would recommend GFT Spanish Leather, DRH Arlington, and TOBS Sandalwood.

TOBS Sandalwood is about as classic as it gets.

I'm not a big fan of Proraso myself so I don't recommend them but there would be plenty of people here that will.

If you haven't tried them already, there is an Australian soap maker called Salt Lake Soaps. Their soaps are awesome.

The FAT!!!!!! Is the real KING of the classic soap, your face will feel smooth and soft as a
LK91Bde.gif

I prefer hard milled soaps to soft artisan soaps. Some of my favorites are:

- MWF
- Speick stick
- DR Harris
- Saponificio Varesino
- Lea classic puck
- Bath House
- La Toja stick
- Pre de Provence
- Scottish Fine Soaps sandal/vetiver

- MWF
- Speick stick
- DR Harris
- Saponificio Varesino
- Lea classic puck
- Bath House
- La Toja stick
- Pre de Provence
That’s because you live in India 🇮🇳 soft soaps will melt

- MWF
- Speick stick
- DR Harris
- Saponificio Varesino
- Lea classic puck
- Bath House
- La Toja stick
- Pre de Provence
Nice one, @nav1 - you got me onto the Lea Classic hard soap; glad I got in before the reformulation :). The cream is pretty good, too, and if you conbine the two into a uberlather, it is sensational.

Last edited:
That’s because you live in India 🇮🇳 soft soaps will melt

LOL
I still have a few soft soaps, they don't melt luckily. I just don't prefer them over milled soaps.

Nice one, @nav1 - you got me onto the Lea Classic hard soap; glad I got in before the reformuation :). The cream is pretty good, too, and if you conbine the two into a uberlather, it is sensational.

Yah, the tallow Lea is one of my best soaps of all time!

But I should mention their veggie formula is also excellent! I really enjoy this one too.

Well this took off, Thanks lads!!

Definitely going to try the Proraso Green and the Fat Which I’ve been eyeing off for a while now.

Let me add my 5 cents worth here. Try The Body Shop's product; good product and substantially cheaper than most.

Funnily enough, that was what got me started down this rabbit hole, a tube of the original Macca Root shave cream that my then girlfriend (now wife) sent me in a care package whilst deployed in 2012.

I know they’ve changed it recently so might have to revisit it.

• D.R. Harris soap (still tallow-based and a great performer)
  • If we extend the options to creams, any of the classic English creams from Geo. F. Trumper, D.R. Harris, or Taylor of Old Bond Street. If you need a place to start, I would recommend GFT Spanish Leather, DRH Arlington, and TOBS Sandalwood.
From a man of exceptional taste, also agree with MWF if you are not allergic

Well this took off, Thanks lads!!

Definitely going to try the Proraso Green and the Fat Which I’ve been eyeing off for a while now.

a tube of the original Macca Root shave cream

I like that one as well. It's probably the only soap in a tube I do like as shaving soap in a tube is like cheese in a can. it just shouldn't exist.

You can find 'Da Fat' cheaper sometimes as it is often rebanded by Kent Shaving and put in a wooden bowl rather than the ceramic one provided by Mitchells. That's how I got mine.

T&H 1805 is another classic scent and a good performer, add it to @TomG's list. Trumper Lime is also another one considered classic.

Note TOBS Sandalwood may provide a reaction to some people, especially the cream due to the cologne-like scenting and I am fairly sure there is a fragrance oil in there somewhere. It does irritate me after consistent use.

Like @nav1 I prefer triple milled soaps and feel that shave sticks in particular are under appreciated. Triple milled goes a long way and cuts down on packaging too.

For me - MWF, Lea Classic or stick, La Toja stick - all top tier. TOBS is a shade behind but not a lot.

I'm reliably informed the blue tallow Wilkinson Sword stick (not the bowl!) is also excellent but I haven't tried it yet to confirm. Lea stick still holds the overall high ground in my book but only just.

ARKO that has acted as an air freshener in the shed for a year or two first isn't bad but it is drying, which relegates it a rung or two - not really an issue if you follow up with a balm though. Palmolive stick is probably a better deal overall, provided you dial it in / use enough.

The traditional Italian soaps are OK but are a couple of rungs below all these for me - and I have Italian heritage! I won't be buying again what I have already tried there, although I still need to try some Vitos and Valobra.