Recent Brushes

It'll funk for a bit Spyne. But it sort of adds to the experience and is a mark of respect. I mean, the poor thing is now filling bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwiches. It's a mark of respect to smell like it's back end for week or so. What does your girlfriend say about the Eau de Boarette?

When I first got my 1305, I soaked it overnight in water with some dishwash liquid in it. The following morning dye had definitely come out of the bristles. Emptied that out and let the brush air dry.
Then made a lather with TOBS SJS cream that night and let it sit loaded overnight.

You can do any of the above to get the dye out. I just washed mine in detergent till it ran clear. Breaking it in will take a little longer, but just daily use is probably the simplest way.

By the way, what was the final verdict on your Simpsons adventure? Good, bad, indifferent, Semoque still rules?
Good. I really warmed to it after getting past the softness, and I like the size. I could certainly go denser, but not bigger, but that means a brush more than double the cost.. It's soft in a different way to Boar, but the only thing I had against badgers were the cost. I think this one is excellent for the money and dispels my bias that you can't get a good one for $50.

Had to adjust going back to the boar though. Couldn't resist the urge to dump too much water out and load less, so up having to remake a couple of lathers because I stuffed it. I think the 1305 can be a tad finnicky for that (depending on what you use with it), as the 830 was superb, as usual.

For the price, Semogues are excellent, and I'd still recommend a boar for anyone looking to spend less than $50. It's a cheap way to get a great brush and find out what you do and don't like. I do like both now the Berk has brought me back to badgers. I will use it regularly, it makes plenty of lather very easily. I just have to be careful, as I like my lather a certain way, and badgers can fluff it up a bit much for me. For me, getting it right is all in the brush loading.

Last edited:
Saw your post in the shave university, deserves linking here http://www.paste-and-cut.com.au/f15/breaking-boar;-quick-guide-sort-81/
Is this moderator thing new for you as well?

Is the main difference between the 830 and 1305 just the dye and handle, or are they that different? When I bought the SOC I was a bit worried about how it would be as reports are mixed, so I decided to buy a second brush in case I was disappointed in the SOC, and was split between the 830 and 1305. I got the 1305 because I preferred the handle, oh well...

Last edited:
Yeah, thanks for the link. I decided to post it a new area as there's nothing there yet, and it does fit the category.

The 1305 and 830 both have dyed bands. The specs on the two knots are exactly the same. The handles differ, and the 830 is also set in the knot at a slightly wider angle. Because of that, they added 10% extra hair, but you don't really notice that. The knot angle means the 830 fans more than the 1305. I find it is softer for backbone, but thankfully hasn't gone floppy. I thought the SOC did, as it was loftier. I sold it, it became a big too for me.

Adding to this, on Drubbings last words I know he probably wont like the size of this but I find the brush Ive shown below,without using it even to be a damn good size for me. Put it this way, I wont have anything to buy except a smaller brush :amuse:

Whats this?
SDC13047.jpg

A new brush
SDC13054.jpg

closeups
SDC13055.jpg

Without even having been broken in, its damn soft...lol. Easy to be amused when you are still new to DE. A guy called Glenn in Qld, whom im sure a few of you guys already know, makes these by hand and sells them via ebay. However you can contact him via email - if anyone wants his addy, pm me- and he will make you one to your knot sizing preference from 22-26mm and shape i think as well (bulb or fan). I should have asked him if he makes an overall smaller version....

Real nice guy to deal with too btw.

Hey, lots of people like big brushes, I'm just not one of them. You'll find the Silvertip really soft. Their strength is the water retention and density, they make a mountain of lather.

I didn't like mine because I do like some feedback from the brush, and to work it. The bigger the brush is the more you work only the tips, because if the brush is huge, you just cover your face.

Whatever works for you, that's the thing.

Hey, lots of people like big brushes, I'm just not one of them. You'll find the Silvertip really soft. Their strength is the water retention and density, they make a mountain of lather.

I didn't like mine because I do like some feedback from the brush, and to work it. The bigger the brush is the more you work only the tips, because if the brush is huge, you just cover your face.

Thats a fair call. Used the thing tonight (im a night shaver) and I found out one thing...the mug i used is no longer adequate to make lather in. Need a small bowl now. Ended up face lathering and the thing exploded on my face...lol Managed to keep it controlled though and seemed to work for me.

Had enough soap on there for about 4 shaves + touch up pass, but the lather was that good compared to my old crap brush that I did a 3 pass and got a DNS. Cant believe how much of a difference the brush makes in making better lather...