Recent Brushes

Yeah, there's a couple of places that have it, but no one is splitting kilos anymore. That makes it pricey and a kilo is way too much anyway - unless anyone is interested in a 2 or 3 way spilt.
The place Razormonsta got his was charging more for postage than the product cost. That's just not worth it. They were good enough to contact previous Aus customers and ask if they'd like more with a shared buy, but got no takers.
ItalianBarber does split - I ordered 2 x 250g sections from them
ItalianBarber.com was the one with ridiculous postage costs (1 kilo was something like $80 postage). This is because the postage costs of sending parcels from Canada to Australia is prohibitive once the weight goes over 400 grams.
The costs are stupid expensive if your order + parcel weighs more than 1.1kg. Under that and it's $35 (which isn't too bad).

I'm after the duro, no one has any left of that.

$35 is still a huge amount, when the soap costs less than $20 bucks. The US sites would send the same quantities of product for less than $10. No wonder the Canadians are always bitching about postage.

Last edited:
TuttoItalia still has 200g 'samples' of Duro. Your best bet is them.

They also have some 'different' products there too which I have not seen anywhere else. You have 2 kilos to play with for 19 Euros or about $27 which is cheaper than the Canadians!

Yeah, I haven't checked the postage on 200g. Nor what other stuff they have.

As it is, I'll probably sell off this Valobra cheap anyway - too much stuff accumulating...

I know the feeling. I have heaps of things I am yet to try..... La Troja stick and others. Don't really want to hit my soaps as the water here has gone really hard of late and the shaves even with some creams aren't great. Really need to run them out to create space though. The Tabac stick is just sitting there as I have been attacking other things.

The tube of Trumper's Violets has had a few runs, I like it. The tube should be gone within 2 months.

Two kg of shaving brushes? That's not just an acquisition disorder that's deranged. Or are we talking soaps here? That's still deranged. I'm confused.

Two kg of shaving brushes? That's not just an acquisition disorder that's deranged. Or are we talking soaps here? That's still deranged. I'm confused.
I'd agree on the brushes.

No, we are talking soap. P.160 comes in 1 kilo 'bricks' - it's a firm cream or even a soft soap. We like to call it a "Croap".

Fully tallow based, old school marzipan/almond scent with a hint of Maraschino cherry. I've got some in the Freezer, and it was a thinly veiled attempt by Drubbing to soften me up to sell him more of what I have.

It has been discontinued now, so there was quite a rush to secure supplies - many were trampled in the rush.

OK I see. Now if I were to tell you, just you Razormonsta, that I've heard through the grapevine that Fauldings are about to fold (with a name like that it was bound to happen) ending their long and honourable production line of shaving cream and, that I've got a couple of unopened tubes of their best superior shaving cream you'd jump at it, right! I'll do you a good price, honest. If P160 smells like marzipan and almonds with a hint of glazed cherries thrown in I'd be chundering whilst shaving. It would be a challenge. Don't ever trust Drubbing by the way.

Last edited:
I'd agree on the brushes.

No, we are talking soap. P.160 comes in 1 kilo 'bricks' - it's a firm cream or even a soft soap. We like to call it a "Croap".

Fully tallow based, old school marzipan/almond scent with a hint of Maraschino cherry. I've got some in the Freezer, and it was a thinly veiled attempt by Drubbing to soften me up to sell him more of what I have.

I don't think it was even veiled.

Well to bring this thread back on track here's my latest little brush. A Vulfix 2189 in a badger/boar mix. Fantastic stiff little brush with nice soft tips. The best of both worlds I'd say.

Man that picture is small. Can you upload bigger files? Yes, upload it to imageshack and then copy/paste the forum image code into your post. Fixed it for you.

56d1298538473-recent-brushes-2189-2-jpg

Attachments

• 2189-2.jpg
    2189-2.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 57
Last edited by a moderator:
Next one. Came in the post yesterday I think. It's hard to keep track of all these goodies arriving at my doorstep all the time. Thanks for the previous help with the image Razormonsta. I was with you all the way up to: "Yes, upload to...." and then it went blank. I'll just have to let you guys click on the image. The brush handle is 48mm high and will take (with a tiny bit of adjustment) a 20mm Fan shaped badger, dropped down or set at a 40mm loft. Lower if I can get away with it. I liked it for the colours. It basically fell to pieces when I stripped the old knot out so I'll have to rebuild the whole thing. Actually if you click on the image that's just about it's actual size. Yep, another wee one.

Attachments

• Brush peerless 2.jpg
    Brush peerless 2.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I don't mind the shape of the handle there, it looks as though you would have good control over the brush.

My EJ BB medium brush is still my favourite*. But I bought 2 boar brushes recently.

Some other forums and Drubbing got me interested in trying boar brushes.
So I bought the SOC and a 1305 recently. Getting to like the SOC, but still hate the 1305. The dye they used on the 1305 is still bleeding out.
And I can do an awesome lather with it, but it's all gone before I finish the first pass.
I've soaked it, heated it with a hair drier, run them over a towel, but the 1305 just consumes lather and darkens it with it's dye. I think all this has made the 1305 too soft for a boar as well, it's softer than the SOC, and what's the point of a soft boar?
SOC turned out a lot better, but the EJ BBB is about the same price and I like it a lot better because it holds lather better so I can get 3 or 4 passes out of it.

edit* Only have a men u boar brush, the EJ medium BBB and now the semogue SOC and 1305.

Last edited:
Some other forums and Drubbing got me interested in trying boar brushes.
So I bought the SOC and a 1305 recently. Getting to like the SOC, but still hate the 1305. The dye they used on the 1305 is still bleeding out.
And I can do an awesome lather with it, but it's all gone before I finish the first pass.
I've soaked it, heated it with a hair drier, run them over a towel, but the 1305 just consumes lather and darkens it with it's dye. I think all this has made the 1305 too soft for a boar as well, it's softer than the SOC, and what's the point of a soft boar?
SOC turned out a lot better, but the EJ BBB is about the same price and I like it a lot better because it holds lather better so I can get 3 or 4 passes out of it.

The 1305 is one of the harder ones to break in, but it returns in kind. First, the dye - you got to wash it in detergent a few times, that gets all the dye out. Soap/cream is no good, it won't clean a brush. The forum thing on the hairdryer is bullshit IMO, and the result of impatience. The brush will only learn to absorb and retain water through regular use (daily, for a couple of weeks, if you want it to work for you sooner) soaking and drying. Forcing it doesn't make it faster IME.

But boars are meant to be soft - it's backbone that they have, and the 1305 has lot of it. Wait till the soc breaks in, it will probably turn into a wet noodle.

I had the 1305 do the 1 pass of lather thing for a few days, but while breaking in in you need to leave it a bit wetter to load up. And really load up. It will come good.

Badgers don't break in, they pretty much work from the box. Boars ask a bit more to begin with. Then they're good.

Last edited:
Thanks for the encouraging words.
I didn't go straight into any accelerated breaking in procedure. Used both for 5 days normally at least before I tried anything to break them in faster. Then used the SOC for another week before I got reasonably happy with it, and tried the 1305 twice after since as well, so at least 8 days on the 1305 and lots of 'breaking in'.

I want to like the 1305, the brush felt good today, but the good lathering and then 'all gone while doing the first pass' happened again, as it's happened all the time I've tried it, despite being used at least 8-9 times and all the other 'breaking in BS', and got me annoyed at it.

Boar brushes certainly aren't something you'd ever buy someone as a gift I agree, badgers 'just work', while boars can be a PITA.
The SOC has been used even more than that, and is a lot stiffer than the 1305 (and without the dye problems :) )
Anyway, I will persist with both and see what happens... Either way I'll end up with 1 decent boar brush.

Last edited:
............Drubbing got me interested in trying boar brushes. So I bought the SOC and a 1305 recently.........

It appears that a lot of people on this forum have been "Semoqued" by Drubbing. I haven't succombed yet. Instead I tried to persude him to get the badger that Barbie uses to do her legs with. To no avail. I probably would have succombed if their 620 (I think that's the smallest one they do) had white boar instead of that banded, wannabe badger hair. Now I hear their dye also runs. Why don't you try and bleach it? It would be interesting to see if it actually turns the hair back to it's original colour.

It appears that a lot of people on this forum have been "Semoqued" by Drubbing.

I don't know how that happens. People ask me questions or throw comments out there and if it's to do with brushes, then Semogues get a guernsey. God forbid anyone starts asking me about Simpsons now...

The dye thing is common with all boars, till you wash it out. But I'm with you; they should leave it blonde. Dyeing infers that it wants to look like badger, and that it has something to hide. They can stand on their own merits. I note the B&B Custom that got up last year was left blonde, as are a number of their others. Why they just don't go the whole hog, I don't know.

Hmmm, I've only got my 1305 so not much to add to this thread....yet (coonsidering a Frank Shaving silvertip or Semogue 2011 SOC)
When I first got my 1305, I soaked it overnight in water with some dishwash liquid in it. The following morning dye had definitely come out of the bristles. Emptied that out and let the brush air dry.
Then made a lather with TOBS SJS cream that night and let it sit loaded overnight.
Have been using it since with no funky smell (only had the tiniest funk smell out of the box) and no more dye running...YMMV i guess.