Perma-Sharp Supers: Try some today!

No surprised SYD - I really believe that you need an aggressive vintage Gillette to get the best out of these blades. My DE86 does well in terms of comfort yet closeness is a problem which is as you describe. The shaves with a Fatboy or Slim I find to be really great.

If you have an Adjustable, open it up and see how they go, but if not you would be needing a Redtip or similar. Something like a 40's SS would likely be too mild but a Vanilla Flaretip could be alright.

I'd love to know how the current darling of B&B - The Muhle R41 - goes with this.

No surprised SYD - I really believe that you need an aggressive vintage Gillette to get the best out of these blades. My DE86 does well in terms of comfort yet closeness is a problem which is as you describe. The shaves with a Fatboy or Slim I find to be really great.

If you have an Adjustable, open it up and see how they go, but if not you would be needing a Redtip or similar. Something like a 40's SS would likely be too mild but a Vanilla Flaretip could be alright.

I'd love to know how the current darling of B&B - The Muhle R41 - goes with this.

The circle jerk going on over there about this razor is frightening.

Interesting info on the PSS. I have a slim in the mail but I imagine I won't sight it for a couple of weeks plus yet. I will try the current blade in the Merkur and let you know how it goes. I will make sure I save a few blades to try in the slim.

Anybody had a lash with this in an open comb?

The circle jerk going on over there about this razor is frightening.
Yes, some serious bromance going on over it. I am just pleased that it appears that we can get them for very little money if you look around a bit. That said, it is just an open-combed Muhle/Edwin Jagger head, so a DE86/89R with a comb rather than a bar.

Yeah, leave a few blades for the slim, definitely worth a go. You will be amazed how good a Slim makes all sorts of blades which were previously near-unshaveable. Derby gave me the shock of my life - I swore black and blue that I would never load it again, but part of rolling through my open packs I blind grabbed a pack and it was a Derby. The shave with the slim was very, very good, none of the roughness that I got from the DE86.

Not tried these in an Open Comb, but could throw one in my NEW and see how it travels.

I'm liking Derby pretty well so far anyhoo :p

If the slim can make the Astra a bit friendlier I will be happy. What sort of setting do you go with on your slim and the PSS?

Try that NEW experiment and let me know. The NEW is pretty aggressive right?

Mine arrived today - thanks Monsta.

I'll give them a run next week.

Must be time to start a R41 2011 thread here too....

They seem to be better for me in an Aggressive Razor, really want to know how the R41 goes with them.

Shave #3 on this blade in the Merkur HD. Now this is getting more like it!

Still very smooth but the blade shaved much closer with less effort in the HD. 3 Passes with no touch up and I am DFS. A bit of touch up work and I think the shave would have been very very good. Really liking how easy on my neck this blade is, it gives confidence to buff a little on problem areas.

The third shave in and the PSS has remained noticeably sharper than the Deby at the same point in time. I'm thinking this blade may be OK. Will be interesting to try in the slim.

OK I'm contemplating picking up some of these. They are working very well for me now they are out of the Rocket and in the 34C.

Only problem is needing to buy a couple hundred to make it worthwhile and I'm still keen to try the 7 o'clocks before I make a bulk buy decision. I had a look at mens biz but it's like $1.00 a blade after postage to try these.

Any paste and cutters that could help a shaver out with some 7 O'Clocks to try? If I go with the PSS I'll make up the order to hit the free postage with Arko sticks or something that I would happily rePifrocate with and of course some PSS if that floats your boat.

Any paste and cutters that could help a shaver out with some 7 O'Clocks to try? If I go with the PSS I'll make up the order to hit the free postage with Arko sticks or something that I would happily rePifrocate with and of course some PSS if that floats your boat.

There'll be some 7's in your letterbox tonight. Along with the best soft Italian shaving soap the world has ever seen, or is likely to see, in the history of the universe.*

*May be a little exaggerated.

There'll be some 7's in your letterbox tonight. Along with the best soft Italian shaving soap the world has ever seen, or is likely to see, in the history of the universe.*

*May be a little exaggerated.

First - bloody - class! Thanks Drubbing. *No smiley here in deference to your preference*

Loaded the Perma Sharp in the Eclipse this morning.

It was OK.

Perversely I had my fifth shave this morning with the same PSS blade and I was a little heavy handed, and had one of the closest shaves in a while.

One of those shaves where you go to people in the office...touch my face...no go on, see how smooth that is...

So this blade is all over the shop and I really don't think it's reliable enough. I don't want a blade that's going to be great on the fifth or sixth shave, or needs to be broken in. That's what I am feeling from this blade, that it needs to be broken in before it's useful.

Well thats killed any thought of this being a hype factory!

Well it was only an initial response. Give it a couple of days - it might improve (some blades do).

I'm certainly not drawing conclusions after only one shave

Well it was only an initial response. Give it a couple of days - it might improve (some blades do).

I'm certainly not drawing conclusions after only one shave

OK, tried these in my Rocket HD this week. Much better result.

These are a good blade. Not quite sure that they are worth the price but a good blade nonetheless.

I've been on a NOS GBE this week. Will rotate back to the PSS soon. I think the TOBS Sandalwood has about 2 shaves left in it, and then I will have a celebatory P.160 shave, then hit the Proraso for a while.